Wiki Posts
Search

Mexican Colonial Towns

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2017, 1:18 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Mexican Colonial Towns

Time to branch out away from Mexico's coasts. Have long eyed the colonial towns but so many choices, difficult to winnow. There's a Rosewood in San Miguel de Allende and a Belmond. I gather Las Mananitas in Cuernavaca has slipped. Guanajuato features an R&C.

Insights, suggestions, other venues -- all welcome. Extra points for easy travel from SFO.

Mexican Colonial Towns
Oaxaca
Cuernavaca
Guanajuato
San Miguel de Allende
Zacatecas
Old Mar 14, 2017, 7:17 am

Oaxaca is very definitely worth a visit (even if just for the food - it is foodie capital of Mexico). It combines a beautiful colonial town centre with older sites just out of town. There isn't any truly luxury accomodation but the Camino Real hotel is very pleasant.

I would add Campeche and Merida to your list as possible destinations - they are both in the Yacutan so Mayan as well as colonial sites abound and both have beautiful town centres - I think both are UNESCO WH Sites. Merida has a number of very good hotels - both boutique ones in the centre (we stayed at Casa Azul and the hard product was great - we had a few service issues though) and the Starwood Luxury Collection Haciendas out of town. In Campeche, the leading hotel is Hacienda Puerta Campeche (again Starwood Luxury Collection) which is beautifully done although again we experienced some service slip ups.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 8:15 am

We stayed at the Rosewood in San Miguel de Allende last year and thought it was excellent. April was a good time to go, not too crowded and the perfect temperature.

We were in a One Bedroom Deluxe Colonial Suite, and given one can get an upgrade at time of booking with a Rosewood Elite agent (plenty of agents on here) I thought it represented great value with a large well-appointed room and nice outdoor terrace. The rooftop bar was a nice place to spend the evenings with great views over the town.

The hard product, food and service were all very good with no misses that I can recall.

An easy ~1 hour drive from QRO, we thought 3 nights was perfect, 2 would be too short but 4-5 more than enough. We enjoyed the town in general with nice colonial architecture, galleries, small boutiques, restaurants, etc. It is a little more touristy than the other towns you listed here, but not overly so.

Hope that helps.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL,UA,AA,F9,NK,B6
Merida, YUC is worth visiting.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 8:24 am

I'll second the Camino Real in Oaxaca. Best in a lovely town.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 9:39 am
Community Director Emerita

We had a lovely trip thru several of the colonial towns many years ago, taking my parents. We flew into Mexico City, picked up a car, and spent a couple nights in each of 4 towns. Are you planning to base yourself in one town or do you plan to hire a driver so that you can move as we did?
Old Mar 15, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
There is also a new Rosewood scheduled to open soon in Puebla.

https://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/puebla
Old Mar 15, 2017, 1:23 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We had a lovely trip thru several of the colonial towns many years ago, taking my parents. We flew into Mexico City, picked up a car, and spent a couple nights in each of 4 towns. Are you planning to base yourself in one town or do you plan to hire a driver so that you can move as we did?
Was not planning on a driving expedition but, now that you mention it, flying into DF, then taking a week to explore both Cuernavaca and Puebla appeals. Although we'd hire car and driver for transfers.

Very much liking the sound of that Rosewood in Puebla so will hold off until notice of its opening which looks to be sometime this spring or early summer.

Thanks, SanDiego1K and luxetrvlwrks.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 8:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

We have a home in San Miguel just a couple blocks from the Rosewood. Friends who have stayed there were very impressed. I would not consider the Belmond. It use to be the best in town but several hotels including the Rosewood have excelled and surpassed this old "grand dame".

There are rumors all over town that both the Four Seasons and St. Regis are coming in to San Miguel. I know the locations that supposedly have been bought or are being considered.

We have been going there for 20 years... it is a pretty remarkable place.

If you have any questions about the town feel free to PM.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...e-allende.html
for those who've been, how are stairs at rosewood?

Originally Posted by EfficientTraveller
I would add .. Merida
Originally Posted by mandrivnyk
Merida, YUC is worth visiting.
chableresort.com looks unique/rare for mexico
38 pool casitas and 2 expensive pool villas
seems like it just (soft?) opened in january

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 20, 2017 at 7:42 pm
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
I highly recommend the Rosewood in San Miguel de Allende. We have a few friends who have homes there and have been there many times. The Belmond used to be the hotel, but the town has become more crowded and that location is a bit noisy at times. Rosewood is close enough to the square, but just far enough away to be a bit more quiet. The Rosewood rooms are nicer and the rooftop bar a fun place to have a drink.

The biggest challenge with San Miguel is getting there! You either fly into Mexico City and then it's a 4 hour drive, or you fly into Leon ( need to change planes coming from SFO in LA, Houston, Dallas), and then it's another 90 minutes drive.

I love Oaxaca and the best place to stay is the Camino Real, but not really a luxury hotel, and off in a different direction ( a flight from DF). Cuernavaca is not what it used to be, but can be a day trip from Mexico City. Puebla is quite nice but I enjoy San Miguel much more.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...e-allende.html
for those who've been, how are stairs at rosewood?

The primary public spaces ( reception, restaurants, pool, shop) are on the first floor. There are elevators to access higher floors.

I wanted to add; there are a few steps here and there (not flights of stairs) on the first floor. The rooftop bar is accessible via an elevator right off the main entrance.

Last edited by david55; Mar 21, 2017 at 5:11 am
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:21 am

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
Been tossing up between Belmond and Rosewood for Xmas - ended up going with Rosewood... reading this thread it looks like we picked a winner.

Also staying at three of the SPG Hacienda properties mention above - Campeche and Yucatan. Spending just over 4 weeks visiting the sites of Mexico, Belize and Guatemala.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by amaroo
Been tossing up between Belmond and Rosewood for Xmas - ended up going with Rosewood... reading this thread it looks like we picked a winner.

Also staying at three of the SPG Hacienda properties mention above - Campeche and Yucatan. Spending just over 4 weeks visiting the sites of Mexico, Belize and Guatemala.

You did pick the winner and the Rosewood property is beautiful during Christmas. That said....SMA is busy (really crowded) during the few days before Christmas, Christmas week, up through New Years. Staying at the Rosewood will give you a respite from the crowds in the historic centro. Their Sunday brunch is the best in town.... we go when ever we are at the house.

In the last 5 years or so....what was a major town for the influx of gringos....has reversed and now it has become the favorite of wealthy Mexicans. (Mostly from Mexico City) Especially the weekends, the town is packed with strolling families and couples coming in for a few days. Come Monday morning the town quiets and it feels personal again.

Last edited by david55; Mar 21, 2017 at 5:15 am
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by david55
The primary public spaces ( reception, restaurants, pool, shop) are on the first floor. There are elevators to access higher floors.

I wanted to add; there are a few steps here and there (not flights of stairs) on the first floor. The rooftop bar is accessible via an elevator right off the main entrance.
We are at the Rosewood now - with a stroller - and the accessibility is good, using various elevators to avoid steps. The town is another story though. The short walk to the Jardin pushing a stroller was next to impossible, as the sidewalks have a steep drop off at intersections (no ramps) and are too narrow for our stroller in various places, and pushing on the cobblestone street was difficult and tight with the cars. That aside, we are really enjoying both the town and the hotel so far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.