Old Mar 5, 2017, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kagehitokiri
Print Wikipost

Travel Advisor - Ask Me Anything (AMA)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2017, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
1) How tight does the relationship tend to be between the independent consultant and the travel agency? Do most ICs have their own booking number or book through the agency's master number?
We book through our the number of our host agency because that number is tied to our benefits and status, like preferred partnerships. The name of our host agency is also generally more well known than our individual brands, and offers a reputation of its own.

2) Do most travel agency require the IC to use their booking software/accounting software or do most IC use their own separate system?
This varies, and some advisors will use multiple systems. I use my agency's crm system for most things, as it ties into a lot of other systems like Virtuoso.com, commission tracking, etc.

3) What sort of backup do the ICs typically had? Most seem to be one-two person shows... I've used an agent in the past that definitely had multiple layers of support staff for when the agent wasn't available.
I will have an official backup person if I am on vacation - happy husband, happy life I generally will still do the work myself, but in case I am unavailable I want my clients to have a contact. If I am traveling for work then I don't typically have a backup, because I am still available via cell phone / email / text. In some cases I will have a backup for a client that is just for them. I tell all of my clients who are in process or who will be traveling, my schedule, what to expect, and what to do if they have an urgent need or emergency.

4) Is a fee list like this normal?
Yes, this is normal although many people do not publish their fee schedule online. Kudos for the transparency. In terms of why fees are charged, or why there is a variety, that is a larger discussion.

In many cases they are charged to protect intellectual capital. They are also charged to ensure compensation for time spent, as we generally only receive commission payments after the client has traveled. If you don't travel, or book something non-commissionable, we don't receive any compensation for our time and expertise.

In some sense it is like payments to doctors where the compensation has been set by an outside entity, but some physicians choose to charge a little more. I pay extra for my dental work - above what my insurance covers, but I like my dentist and hygienist, the fancy massage chairs, and TV. It's worth it to me.

I ask because it seems that Smartflyer isn't fully aware or aware at all of the bookings that their IC seems to have made...
In my case, I don't ever have to enter bookings into our CRM if I choose not to do so. There are consequences for not entering them, but sometimes it simply isn't worth it - like for car rentals which are very low commission, and often are no commission. Also, some people might batch their work, for example only enter bookings once or twice a month. If it's not in the CRM, the agency has no way of knowing about it, as most reservations are made with the agency's number only and no advisor level identifier.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 1:15 pm

What's the most expensive trip that you have planned? How long was it?
Old Mar 11, 2017, 2:45 am

Thank you all for contributing to this thread - great stuff!

I am dipping my toe in the TA/luxury travel arena. I was put in contact with a particular TA who was well regarded at a good virtuoso agency. Said TA left the agency and the agency put me in contact with another TA - she's young, very friendly in initial exchanges. She mentions she has good relationships in the area I want to travel in and says all the right things.

My question - how do I ensure that the agency has not just paired me with someone who is too inexperienced thus limiting the value she can offer/provide because of her limited experience? What is the best way to know what her limitations are?

Since I am new to this and not a high roller spender, I am realistic and am willing to grow with a TA.

Is there a lot of turnover with these agencies? This particular agency has almost 20 TAs. What should I do if the TAs leave more frequently than not? Stick with the TA if they go to another agency (assuming we have a very good relationship) or should I stick with the agency and have them set me up with a new TA?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 11, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Dorchester DC, FSPP, STARS, FAN, Knights, Bellini Club, PenClub, Relais & Chateaux PP, etc
That's a great question and shows good business on your behalf. Speaking "best practices" for the question of who to follow I believe it is good business to follow the company who is responsible for you. So in this case if you are dealing with an agency then I would try to stick with the agency. If you are dealing with an Independent Affiliate (IC) then they are their own company operating under a host agency, and you would stick with the IC where they go.

Realistically though you need to do what's best for you as far as where to go and who to work with.

I would not be overly concerned by someone who may seem "inexperienced" as it really depends on what exactly their life experience is and qualifications to serve you, and how well they will do working for you. You already said she sounds confident in working with you and has good relationships in the area and if you get along well and can work well together it sounds like it will work just fine. Try a trip out, see how it goes and then make your decision based on the results of her success.

I think of other industries which I've known very well, mainly tech, and some of the most "experienced" people also have other faults which greatly effect the results the customer sees. The most common is they stop innovating and don't adapt well to times.

For me when I work with anyone it's primarily about the relationship. Can I trust them? Can they serve me WELL? And of course can they deliver, set reasonable expectations, and so on...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.