Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Virtuoso online booking tool is now active...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virtuoso online booking tool is now active...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2017, 12:32 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Coathanger
No update from the Virtuoso development team since the escalation of my request to change advisor on 7th March.

I'm probably more in the demographic that Virtuoso is targeting who don't use a traditional travel agent:

• Ability to view pricing and detailed room options
  • Real-time booking confirmation
  • Virtuoso benefits at luxury hotels without meaningful loyalty programs

My bookings are R2B but the total value of the trips aren't anywhere near the US$10K+ that some other posters are spending per holiday so I figure this is a good compromise where the Virtuoso advisor would get the commission from a booking that would otherwise go to an OTA (e.g. classictravel.com which also provides Virtuoso benefits using an online booking tool/Amex FHR if one has access through their card).

A win/win, and no skin off the nose of the more traditional Virtuoso client surely?
I was just playing around with the tool and was able to change my advisor! I went to make a booking and a screen popped up asking me to confirm my advisor. The one listed was a former advisor but it gave me the ability to search by name for a different one and select my current advisor.

I have yet to actually book, but am hoping to soon. I'm curious of the process.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by United747
I was just playing around with the tool and was able to change my advisor! I went to make a booking and a screen popped up asking me to confirm my advisor. The one listed was a former advisor but it gave me the ability to search by name for a different one and select my current advisor.

I have yet to actually book, but am hoping to soon. I'm curious of the process.
Interesting. I went through the same flow as you and it allowed me to switch advisor, but after confirming the change and having it reflected on-screen the only booking option remained email to advisor.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 6:57 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Interesting. I went through the same flow as you and it allowed me to switch advisor, but after confirming the change and having it reflected on-screen the only booking option remained email to advisor.
Hmm, that seems to defeat the purpose. I should have a booking coming up and I will have to try it with mine. I wonder if there are only certain advisors that you can book with online?
Old Mar 13, 2017, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by United747
Hmm, that seems to defeat the purpose. I should have a booking coming up and I will have to try it with mine. I wonder if there are only certain advisors that you can book with online?
Yes, it was mentioned upthread that this is in pilot stage and Virtuoso advisors wanting to opt-in had to complete some online learning to be activated.

At this stage I might just wait until this comes out of pilot as the development team still haven't come back to me, and I've made the booking through an alternate online portal (which also provides Virtuoso benefits).
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Fliar
Silly question: what is the benefit of this over just emailing my Virtuoso agent? (I'm probably missing something)
I change my plans often so I like to do the legwork first before contacting an agent. I also like to check several hotels for best prices and benefits and I would drive an agent nuts. Being able to check on my own first is very helpful.
Old May 1, 2017, 5:13 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Originally Posted by poptarts
I change my plans often so I like to do the legwork first before contacting an agent. I also like to check several hotels for best prices and benefits and I would drive an agent nuts. Being able to check on my own first is very helpful.
Agree. I am am the same way. Actually, enjoy the hunt.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by poptarts
+1 but seems to be almost mission impossible with this tool. Super slow and errors out 99% of the time. I had no trouble picking Jessica however.

If Virtuoso claims to be a professional travel advisor for high end properties (and I don't dissagree as such!), this tool is not really fitting the bill .

Classic Travel online search is more or less ok (very basic but at least it works) so if anyone is mainly checking out options (and get online quotes on Virtuoso rates), this still seems to be the best option for the time being.
Old May 28, 2017, 8:34 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by Epicura
+1 but seems to be almost mission impossible with this tool. Super slow and errors out 99% of the time. I had no trouble picking Jessica however.

If Virtuoso claims to be a professional travel advisor for high end properties (and I don't dissagree as such!), this tool is not really fitting the bill .
The tool is admittedly still in beta testing mode, and it's frustrating for agents as well! Virtuoso does some things very well, but its technology rollouts have always taken several generations of versions to get to where they should be. Matthew Upchurch has always been a visionary, but translating a brainstorm into code is always a challenge.

If all they wanted was a booking engine, that's much more do-able ... but they also need to create a platform that incorporates the travel advisor for their personal follow-through.
Old May 28, 2017, 1:41 pm

But that's just it - in this day and age, with the multitude of options available, Virtuoso should not have nearly the difficulties it is having with this.

I wonder if they've failed to allocate appropriate resources (whether time, man-power, or $$$) for this?
Old May 28, 2017, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

agencies advertise themselves as participating. virtuoso advertises tool. everyone wins. except clients who want working tool.

Originally Posted by jonjparr
They should be testing inhouse
Originally Posted by ABG
as jonjparr picks up on, let others figure out the beta testing.
if rates are basically same as hotel, i would think just look at hotel rates on hotel website?
i think many here always do that? and some agents here only use hotel website to book
Old May 28, 2017, 6:13 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
agencies advertise themselves as participating. virtuoso advertises tool. everyone wins. except clients who want working tool.

if rates are basically same as hotel, i would think just look at hotel rates on hotel website?
i think many here always do that? and some agents here only use hotel website to book
IME rates are generally BAR, excluding special virtuoso offers I.e. Not advanced purchase or some other special promo. Sometimes agents can negotiate the other rates but the standard BAR is a good start. Don't think I've ever seen it more than that but have seen it less.

Until this system is bug-free, I'll just keep emailing my go to agent. Not a fan of taking chances
Old May 29, 2017, 12:43 am

My request to change adviser was finally updated to DavidO on 15 April (having been raised 5 March), yet bookings are limited to the 'Send to my Advisor' option rather than instant booking.

I'm sure Virtuoso will eventually get there.
Old May 29, 2017, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My request to change adviser was finally updated to DavidO on 15 April (having been raised 5 March), yet bookings are limited to the 'Send to my Advisor' option rather than instant booking.
Originally Posted by DavidO
All you have to do is sign on and identify Jessica Ourisman as your Virtuoso Advisor.

Because this is new technology, it's currently working if you select Jessica Ourisman but not David Ourisman. If you select David, the system will send a booking request directly to me
Old May 29, 2017, 5:42 pm

My bad.

At this stage I'm going to sit on the sidelines until the feature comes out of beta given the timeframes to update your Virtuoso advisor online.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
What a complete waste of time to deal with this rubbish. There is no option to do any sort of real time online booking, it always directs you to send an email to the advisor as before. You can't change it online either (it says call). Then you call and the lady doesn't know anything.

Who is responsible for this project? That's even worse than Hyatt!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.