Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best Hotel in Melbourne?

Best Hotel in Melbourne?

Old Jul 12, 17, 2:11 pm

I'm genuinely curious, since we disagree, about what you found so enjoyable about Halcyon?

Though massively spruced up, it's still the physical plant of a 60's Surf Motel, with many shared walls/ceilings/floors, balconies overlooking a courtyard with a pool, no real beach views to speak of (given they're blocked by the bush), and typical Aussie "luxury" service (read: not at all luxury).

They did a wonderful job with the reno, but especially given we've a place overlooking a beautiful Gold Coast beach already, I found it just woefully overpriced for what you get.

That restaurant, though, we've enjoyed a fair few times.

For the record, I can see how Saffire may come across as you experienced, though we did not experience that ourselves.
Old Jul 12, 17, 6:36 pm

Halcyon House, really? It's a motel in drag. Style over substance for me. The meal I was served in the restaurant was borderline offensive. Won't be returning.
Old Jul 12, 17, 7:18 pm

Oh, that's terrible, sydakllon. We've only ever had very lovely meals there, so I wonder what went wrong with yours.

To keep it on-topic, I obviously agree with you about the hotel itself.
Old Jul 13, 17, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by jja34-1 View Post
Any experience with the Art Series Hotels? I've stayed at the Olsen before and trying to decide whether to return or try the QT for a social visit next month.
Ah yes, I have stayed at both the Olsen and Blackman. Olsen wasn't terrible especially given the cool location in Phahran, Blackman felt like cheap serviced apartment. But both are such mass market 3.5* properties that I think if we continue this discussion we will be veering so far from luxury hotels that we'll have wandered out of this forum and into somewhere else

Bottom line - stick with the much better options mentioned above in this thread if you want any kind of luxury. But one the off chance that you're partying in Windsor / Chapel St and want somewhere closeby to sleep then the Olson is not a bad choice.
Old Jul 13, 17, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by ajca View Post
Bottom line - stick with the much better options mentioned above in this thread if you want any kind of luxury. But one the off chance that you're partying in Windsor / Chapel St and want somewhere closeby to sleep then the Olson is not a bad choice.
Thanks for the comparative feedback. I agree with the general consensus that there's not much to write home about in terms of "luxury" Melbourne hotels so will take another look at the QT.

I stayed at the Olsen when it first opened and it struck me as more than a mass market hotel, both in terms of quality of the hotel and service. Seems like they weren't able to make a go of maintaining higher standards. I was wondering why rooms were so cheap!

Last edited by jja34-1; Jul 13, 17 at 9:59 am
Old Jul 13, 17, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by aa213bb View Post
I'm genuinely curious, since we disagree, about what you found so enjoyable about Halcyon?

Though massively spruced up, it's still the physical plant of a 60's Surf Motel, with many shared walls/ceilings/floors, balconies overlooking a courtyard with a pool, no real beach views to speak of (given they're blocked by the bush), and typical Aussie "luxury" service (read: not at all luxury).

They did a wonderful job with the reno, but especially given we've a place overlooking a beautiful Gold Coast beach already, I found it just woefully overpriced for what you get.

That restaurant, though, we've enjoyed a fair few times.

For the record, I can see how Saffire may come across as you experienced, though we did not experience that ourselves.
I enjoyed it because it fit the bill of what I was looking for and met or exceeded expectations. Perhaps I confused the conversation by using it as a reference point. I know that luxury can be subjective and I included my experience at Halcyon for personal comparison purposes, as opposed to holding it up as a luxury experience that is consistent with the definition established by those who frequent this forum.

My experience at Halcyon was a cut above experiences at other hotels in Australia, particularly on the Gold Coast or in QLD, with one or two exceptions. I also know several people who have visited before or after me and not one of them has complained about any aspect of the hotel.

I can see why Halcyon may not be everyone's idea of a "luxury" beach vacation. It met my personal requirements because it allowed me to relax and disconnect in an up to date hotel with a level of service that was helpful but not intrusive.

I would agree with you that it's not good value at current rates given the alternatives. But it did the trick for me at a particular point in time.
Old Jul 13, 17, 10:03 am

Thank you for the explanation, and I hope I did not come across as condescending or dismissive.

I'm truly happy you enjoyed your stay, as that is all that matters!
Old Jul 13, 17, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by aa213bb View Post
Thank you for the explanation, and I hope I did not come across as condescending or dismissive.

I'm truly happy you enjoyed your stay, as that is all that matters!
Not at all. Everyone's travel experiences are unique and there's certainly no "one size fits all" approach with so many alternatives.
Old Jul 14, 17, 2:25 am

Programs: QF CL
Well, this has been a very interesting discussion for me as I will be spending a few days at Halcyon later this month. Personally, I love the concept of Halcyon House. I think it is of its place. Execution is another matter, and I hope not to be disappointed.

In the end I think luxury is a state of mind. But that is an observation for our other thread!

Originally Posted by jja34-1 View Post
I enjoyed it because it fit the bill of what I was looking for and met or exceeded expectations. Perhaps I confused the conversation by using it as a reference point. I know that luxury can be subjective and I included my experience at Halcyon for personal comparison purposes, as opposed to holding it up as a luxury experience that is consistent with the definition established by those who frequent this forum.

My experience at Halcyon was a cut above experiences at other hotels in Australia, particularly on the Gold Coast or in QLD, with one or two exceptions. I also know several people who have visited before or after me and not one of them has complained about any aspect of the hotel.

I can see why Halcyon may not be everyone's idea of a "luxury" beach vacation. It met my personal requirements because it allowed me to relax and disconnect in an up to date hotel with a level of service that was helpful but not intrusive.

I would agree with you that it's not good value at current rates given the alternatives. But it did the trick for me at a particular point in time.
Old Jul 14, 17, 9:51 am

Please do report back, Baghoarder!
Old Sep 7, 17, 6:21 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Ive been staying with the Grand Hyatt for almost 20 years happily
Not been too happy with the Park Hyatt except after the first 3 or 4 years of opening as others have stated tired and uninspired
Langham isn't bad but crazy expensive for November 700 and up per night
The Grand Hyatt is at 2000 dollars a night (suites only) as is the the Park Hyatt
Can anyone comment on the Marriott Melbourne?
South Wharf Hilton is now a Pam Pacific Hotel or something odd like that so that use to be a nice default property
And I hear its taken a bad hit under the new ownership
Thank You
Old Sep 8, 17, 1:18 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Enjoy the GH suites too
Location is rather " strategic " .. central

PanPacific is alright , not for this forum though .
Have stayed with them in their suites Seattle , Singapore & Vancouver . These are ok but rooms will likely be very small

Last edited by FlyerEC; Sep 8, 17 at 1:28 am
Old Sep 8, 17, 7:42 am

Looks like I'll be in Melbourne for a couple nights next month... My agent is telling me Sofitel is the best. Others say Crowne Towers. QT looks a bit more hip, but not much on them out there at all.
Old Sep 9, 17, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by busy View Post
Looks like I'll be in Melbourne for a couple nights next month... My agent is telling me Sofitel is the best. Others say Crowne Towers. QT looks a bit more hip, but not much on them out there at all.
Depends what they mean by best.
Old Sep 9, 17, 1:50 am
formerly staff

Programs: MPC, KF, BAEC // SPG, WoH, Honors
I'd say there's a different between 5* and Luxury, and none of the hotels mentioned in this thread qualifies for the latter category. Hopefully this will change in the next couple of years with new upscale properties coming to town.

For now the GH is the 'best' option, and that says a lot.

Search this Thread