Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possibly the last real hideaway in the Caribbean

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by speedbird001
I have been traveling to the Caribbean for over 30 years and just spent 10 days at what I believe to be one of the last remaining true luxury hideaway resorts on by far one of the nicest beaches in the Caribbean. I have also been a subscriber to Hideaway Report for over 30 years and this is the type of place that the real Andrew Harper would have written about many years ago.

We stayed at the Barbuda Belle Hotel on the island of Barbuda http://www.barbudabelle.com/. Barbuda is an island off the coast of Antigua. I have not included any of my own photos as the ones on their website are better than mine and entirely accurate.

It is very remote. You fly to Antigua, then air charter to Barbuda and then it’s a 15 minute boat ride to the resort which is only accessible by boat. They gave us a complimentary helicopter ride one way as we stayed more than seven nights. Once you are there, you stay, as there is very little else on the island.

There are 6 cottages, all very private, spacious, well designed and made of natural wood imported from Bali. They are all identical except for one unit which has two bedrooms. The bathrooms are large, attractive with great showers. Should it matter, the resort is green; generating its own solar power.

Each cottage comes with its own secluded and private beach area with chaises and umbrellas.

The restaurant, lounge and bar are stunning with outdoor or indoor dining although meals will be served wherever you want including the beach or your cottage. I found the overall service (for the Caribbean) top notch.

The food is prepared by their French chef, Jean-Louis. Besides from speaking little English, we communicated easily and he was eager to please us with fresh breads, daily fresh caught fish and lobster and the more mundane but exceptional items like a club sandwich made with freshly roast chicken, homemade bread, homemade mayonnaise and homemade French fries. Other meals included fresh caught red snapper and conch ceviche.

Don’t expect a lot of activities. While they provide hobie cats, paddle boards and kayaks there is not much to do. The hotel is on a stunning, powder sand 11 mile beach where my wife and I took daily walks. During our entire stay we saw only eight other people along the beach who were not hotel guests. This is a very, very, quiet place. Mobile phone service is good and so is Wi-Fi but go to relax and get away.

You can mingle with the other guests or be completely on your own.

The resort is only in its second year so is still going through some adjustments but overall, I rate this very highly and we will return next year.
Just bringing this back. The hotel was damaged by the hurricane and did not open in 2018. My wife and I were there a week ago and if you did not know the hurricane hit, you would never know anything happened. It is as good or better than my original review.
cornwall4000 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.