Search

New Aman, Azerai, GHM & Ahn Luh Resorts - 2017 edition

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Cityflyer10
While I find Oyster “pearl” levels to not be perfect, their very thorough pictures (which TA now uses as well) are incredibly helpful when looking at a new place to stay!
Absolutely - only the pearls and stars at tripadvisor (same Company) are often quite funny.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:46 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Forbes Travel Guide rates most of the Amans as 4* properties. Amandari isn't even rated as a 4*, only as 'recommended'.

Banyan Tree Macau, however, is a 5*, as is Four Seasons Jimbaran Bay.

The Upper House is also a 4* property.
Most new ratings systems require a proper spa to be counted as a 5* property. Hence, those new ratings systems are bonk.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

shanghai
newkerala.com/news/fullnews-283364.html

new york
hotelmanagement.net/development/jean-michel-gathy-denniston-designs-aman-new-york-eyes-2020-opening
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
shanghai
newkerala.com/news/fullnews-283364.html

new york
hotelmanagement.net/development/jean-michel-gathy-denniston-designs-aman-new-york-eyes-2020-opening
In 2021, the Crown Building – formerly the first home of the Museum of Modern Art – will undergo a transformation that will see it fully restored to its original look.
Facade construction/restoration work in the year right after opening?
Old Nov 15, 2017, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by scented
Facade construction/restoration work in the year right after opening?
Either that restoration is whisper quiet or Vlad is betting people won't care and will still pay 1200 dollars to stay there.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:59 pm

Azerai Luang Prabang is no more

Azerai Luang Prabang is no more.

The Malaysian investors have pulled the plug. Was announced to management 2 weeks ago and all the senior team are being let go.

New management contract has been awarded to another operator who will shortly re-brand the property.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:17 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by NYCscotsman

The Malaysian investors have pulled the plug. Was announced to management 2 weeks ago and all the senior team are being let go.

New management contract has been awarded to another operator who will shortly re-brand the property.
Wait what? that was very short lived and doesn't bode well for Zecha's vision for the next phase of affordable luxury.. any idea where Gary Tyson landed? he was a great great GM at Amantaka....

FDW
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:25 pm

Too bad as they had a good team. I stayed and enjoyed it. I suspect occupancy has been very low.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:41 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
What? I just had a guest there who checked out a couple of days ago...bizarre if true!
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:17 pm

I was at the Azerai LP about 3 weeks ago and whilst I liked I didn't think it was luxury - staff were very pleasant on the whole but with poor English language skills in some cases - I asked for a mattress topper (bed too hard) and despite explaining it in detail to 2 staff members on reception I got a top sheet! The room isn't really that well designed - no mirror for doing your makeup if you're shortsighted and short for example - clearly designed by a man; ). I didn't see Gary but there was 1 ex Aman chap there with a Balinese first name who was pleasant - he's going to be going to the new Azerai in Vietnam. The food in the restaurant was ok but nowhere near as good as available as elsewhere in the town.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:14 pm
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Not sure that this should be a surprise to anyone. I know the resort (and Azerai in general) is supposed to offer affordable luxury. But the rates seemed to be a bit high for what you got. And I don't think the resort could be considered true luxury.

My hunch is that the new resort in Vietnam will have the same issues.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:16 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
With apologies, I must confess my continued surprise and some irritation that Azerai (as well as GHM and Anh Luh) is being discussed in the same thread as Aman. It seems ridiculous that a thread discussing the pinnacle of luxury and service like Aman will also include a nice but non-luxury brand like Azerai.

I can appreciate that some still might be interested in a Zecha-inspired/influenced brands thread. But including Aman with those nowadays is patently ridiculous to me. Whatever the origins or cross-management paths might have been at one time, the Aman and Azerai/GHMbrands are no longer the same nor are even in the same league. As such, it is difficult to understand how they merit discussion in the same thread. I’d strongly be in favor of separating the Aman brand thread from the Azerai/GHM/Ahn Luh thread.

(As a personal aside. I also find it a bit laughable that so many might quickly discount the JW Marriott “affordable luxury” and other properties and brands that occasionally arise as being unworthy for discussion in this Luxury Hotels Forum...while not raising eyebrows at Azerai’s inclusion.)
Old Dec 15, 2017, 10:42 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by bhrubin
With apologies, I must confess my continued surprise and some irritation that Azerai (as well as GHM and Anh Luh) is being discussed in the same thread as Aman. It seems ridiculous that a thread discussing the pinnacle of luxury and service like Aman will also include a nice but non-luxury brand like Azerai.

I can appreciate that some still might be interested in a Zecha-inspired/influenced brands thread. But including Aman with those nowadays is patently ridiculous to me. Whatever the origins or cross-management paths might have been at one time, the Aman and Azerai/GHMbrands are no longer the same nor are even in the same league. As such, it is difficult to understand how they merit discussion in the same thread. I’d strongly be in favor of separating the Aman brand thread from the Azerai/GHM/Ahn Luh thread.
Quite a few here consider Chedi Club in Ubud to be one of their best hotel stays so not sure that's entirely fair either to have it completely removed from the discussion. Again, it gets down to being property specific.
0bsidian likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 6:26 am
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin

(As a personal aside. I also find it a bit laughable that so many might quickly discount the JW Marriott “affordable luxury” and other properties and brands that occasionally arise as being unworthy for discussion in this Luxury Hotels Forum...while not raising eyebrows at Azerai’s inclusion.)
Concur. Azerai isn't luxury. Just because it has AZ's name associated with it doesn't make it so.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

azerai launch property was about GM, who opened amantaka

azerai may go way of GHM (always need a good owner)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 16, 2017 at 8:36 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.