New Aman, Azerai, GHM & Ahn Luh Resorts - 2017 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Aman, Azerai, GHM & Ahn Luh Resorts - 2017 edition

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by damaxer91
It’s also the view. “I prefer to stay here, closer to the ground, to see real New York,” he says. “If you were on the 70th floor of some building, you’d just see clouds.”

4th floor definitely is a bit too real for me

I suspect his 'opinion' and preference to see the real New York is a bit influenced by his deal, which secured the lower floors for the hotel. If the hotel was located in 432 Park Ave we would read something very different from him.

Hope to see some more renderings soon.
vuittonsofstyle and epitopeX like this.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by damaxer91
It’s also the view. “I prefer to stay here, closer to the ground, to see real New York,” he says. “If you were on the 70th floor of some building, you’d just see clouds.”
I'd take some clouds!

I think this Aman build needs a sense of place. They can't redo Tokyo in New York.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: Amex Plat, FHR, SPG
I couldn't be more disappointed by this NYC Aman. This feels so un-special and typical luxury and anti-everything that I used to love about the brand. What a cool opportunity they could have had to do something off beat and truly luxury in an interesting location in NYC. Imagine an Aman on Governor's Island where they'd convert some of those abandoned buildings with amazing views. Private yachts taxing you to your destinations. Sunrise breakfasts on Ellis Island or Liberty Island. Or somewhere with character in Brooklyn or an Old Estate in Riverdale. This is just so Four Seasons. 5th Ave is just so boring.
Groombridge likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by cjthekid
I couldn't be more disappointed by this NYC Aman. This feels so un-special and typical luxury and anti-everything that I used to love about the brand. What a cool opportunity they could have had to do something off beat and truly luxury in an interesting location in NYC. Imagine an Aman on Governor's Island where they'd convert some of those abandoned buildings with amazing views. Private yachts taxing you to your destinations. Sunrise breakfasts on Ellis Island or Liberty Island. Or somewhere with character in Brooklyn or an Old Estate in Riverdale. This is just so Four Seasons. 5th Ave is just so boring.
Interesting - but not sure many would like to stay on Govenor‘s Island etc. I‘m only interested in central locations in cities. I doubt it would be a great success, the market for it is simply too small. Even in NYC.

PS I know I may be wrong😉
Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

previous coverage >
The seventh floor will host a pool, spa, “treatment rooms,” and lockers, and the eighth floor will have a gym. There will be a restaurant on the ninth floor
doronin signed a deal in apr 2015
aman hotel discussed by may 2016 >
Originally Posted by VOSS
nypost.com/2016/05/31/luxe-shopping-starts-takeover-of-crown-building
NYC hotel floors >

7 floors greenwich
4-9? aman
11 floors crosby st
3-12+ mark, RC battery park
2-15+ plaza athenee
16 floors whitby
17 floors surrey, baccarat, lowell, others
5-19+ plaza
4-20 peninsula, 20 floors st regis
3-22 RC CP
8-23 PH
7-24 FS downtown
3-33 carlyle
4-39 pierre
5-49+ FS

39-54 MO

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 27, 2017 at 4:41 pm
Old Oct 28, 2017, 1:27 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by offerendum
Interesting - but not sure many would like to stay on Govenor‘s Island etc. I‘m only interested in central locations in cities. I doubt it would be a great success, the market for it is simply too small. Even in NYC.

PS I know I may be wrong��
Yep - hence why it's interesting how Shanghai turns out. That's a proper city, but the Aman there isn't anywhere near the main city. Essentially, they'd have to do something to that level. But most visitors going to Shanghai want to be on the Bund etc, not an hour away from it.

Was thinking - there are some gorgeous spots in Hong Kong they could build stunning resorts on, but same issue - it would only be open half the year (and while that can work in a rural setting where costs are low such as Ranthambore, it won't fly in Hong Kong or most other major cities), and even then you wouldn't get 100% occupancy, even with the 'staycationers'.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cjthekid
That's ambitious and China is something like that but I don't see it flying very well in NYC. I wouldn't stay there.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
I'd take some clouds!

I think this Aman build needs a sense of place. They can't redo Tokyo in New York.
Agree
Old Nov 3, 2017, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
Amankea out

Developers Dolphin Capital passed the Amankea project over to One&Only. They announced it in December with a very, very cheesy video in nouveau-riche-bad-taste-style on their website: https://www.oneandonlyresorts.com/on...-island-greece

Neither in the video with it's lousy champagne-sipping-and-some-ocean-waves-content, nor in their press release are any signs that either the originally designated architect John Heah or any other visonairy architect is in charge, so innovative design seems to be sadly out of focus: https://www.oneandonlyresorts.com/on...-november-2017

Last edited by deer; Nov 4, 2017 at 1:04 am
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by deer
Developers Dolphin Capital passed the Amankea project over to One&Only. They announced it in December with a very, very cheesy video in nouveau-riche-bad-taste-style on their website: https://www.oneandonlyresorts.com/on...-island-greece

Neither in the video with it's lousy champagne-sipping-and-some-ocean-waves-content, nor in their press release are any signs that either the originally designated architect John Heah is still in charge or any other visonaire is in charge, so innovative design seems to be sadly out of focus: https://www.oneandonlyresorts.com/on...-november-2017
That video looks awful. Aman have done a really nice job with their video properties I have to say - exactly what I'd expect. Think the Amanpulo one is my favourite so far.
deer likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Thinking about Venice at the moment! Just learned from Oyster that Aman Venice is a 4 star
Perhaps I should start to book 4 stars in the future
epitopeX likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by deer

Neither in the video with it's lousy champagne-sipping-and-some-ocean-waves-content, nor in their press release are any signs that either the originally designated architect John Heah or any other visonairy architect is in charge, so innovative design seems to be sadly out of focus: https://www.oneandonlyresorts.com/on...-november-2017
I know that the press releases etc do not mention John Heah, the original architect of Amankea, but he continues to be the architect on this project, so the same innovative design will be in place.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

years ago dolphin said they were not going to do (aman)kea because they were selling equity, i quoted here. heah kept ~25% stake. until dolphin sells, which they will, they could have controlling stake with heah.

first deal didnt close >
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
On 18 March 2015, the Company signed a Memorandum of Understanding with a renowned international resort investor relating to a potential €20 million equity investment in the project, in return for a 50% shareholding stake in the Kea Resort.
2014 annual report >
In discussions regarding €18 million of equity investment from a third party joint venture partner to complete project with another luxury operator ... Existing management agreement is with Aman Resorts. DCI is currently in discussions with a joint venture partner, and operator might change, subject to reaching a formal agreement
[30 July 2015] conclusion of this transaction now appears unlikely and the Company has initiated discussions with alternative investment partners.
O&O / kerzner (dubai) presumably >
[30 June 2016]in discussions with an international resort and real estate investor for a joint venture transaction involving an equity investment required for the construction of the Kea resort for a 50% shareholding stake in the project.
sep 30 2016 >
advancing discussions

annual report 2016 >
Discussions progressing
international resort operator and investor

sep 29 2017 >
continued to make progress
investor group will also undertake management and branding

sorry i didnt quote more to update/remind

anything re aman kyoto?
vuittonsofstyle likes this.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 6, 2017 at 10:01 am
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:12 pm

Thinking about Venice at the moment! Just learned from Oyster that Aman Venice is a 4 star
Forbes Travel Guide rates most of the Amans as 4* properties. Amandari isn't even rated as a 4*, only as 'recommended'.

Banyan Tree Macau, however, is a 5*, as is Four Seasons Jimbaran Bay.

The Upper House is also a 4* property.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:28 am
Aman Contributor Badge

While I find Oyster “pearl” levels to not be perfect, their very thorough pictures (which TA now uses as well) are incredibly helpful when looking at a new place to stay!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.