Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

New Aman, Azerai, GHM & Ahn Luh Resorts - 2017 edition

New Aman, Azerai, GHM & Ahn Luh Resorts - 2017 edition

Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Here is the teaser on Aman corporate site: https://www.aman.com/resorts/costa-rica
It sounds like Apple have taken over the Aman video adverts, with Jony Ive muttering away to himself about how this Aman will be the best, thinnest and most powerful, Aman yet. I feel like I need a bath to remove the dirt from my eyes after watching that pretentious pile of....

Will I go? Of course. If it was good enough to put Jurassic Park on it, it's good enough for me.
vuittonsofstyle and bhrubin like this.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
nusa - operating as hotel? ...
or Azerai Bali perhaps , if Azerai can sustain
- if so , with an additional wing to fit the luxury for less thingy ?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

nusa has 31 rooms, wonder if possible to do FT gathering before / right after closure

funny if an amanjunkie secure leasehold ownership, but seems extremely unlikely

id think most owners would tear down, unless sold as residence
though teardown could keep common areas and replace rooms
presume current market value of leasehold ownership is high
only minus is not beachfront (curious re last nearby beachfront lot)

anyone specifically heard re leasehold extensions of other amans?
seems nusa never got HGB title
kila, jiwo, wana have HGB which seems secure
dari "80% of site is held under private leases with village landowners"

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 23, 2017 at 7:31 am
Old Dec 22, 2017, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin

Interestingly, there is a Westin Playa Conchal all-inclusive golf and spa resort there already, with a W Playa Conchal Resort expected to open in 2019. With me being a fan of remote location Ws, thats been on my radar already.
Hope the design will be great. The last Aman in America, Amanera, is not really Aman in design imho. Architect John Heah is great but not in the same league with Gathy, Ed, Kerry, or Jaya
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 5:08 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by bhawono
Hope the design will be great. The last Aman in America, Amanera, is not really Aman in design imho. Architect John Heah is great but not in the same league with Gathy, Ed, Kerry, or Jaya
Amanera is a nice design though! But I do get what you mean - (without having been, and only through photos) it reminds me a lot of something like Soori Bali.

On that note, for Costa Rica, judging by the image showing (what is it - a villa?) here: https://www.aman.com/resorts/costa-rica

It looks like this will be the location: https://i.imgur.com/SQMSDzJ.jpg
Old Dec 24, 2017, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

nera - original plan had much bigger main pool. i like orientation of 2BR's 20m long pool. pavilions seemed like an evolution of aman pavilions. but im not talking about style. many ocean view and pool, not everyone here wants to pay for those things, especially when aman upgrades, although upgrades may change.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
not everyone here wants to pay for those things, especially when aman upgrades, although upgrades may change.
Think it depends on how they price it. When going to a beach resort, I don't think anyone is looking for not ocean/sea view options surely (pool might be a different issue) - cf Amanpuri.

Although it's become more of a headache for TAs vs the old Aman style of 1 rate in high season, 1 rate in low season, I do think the new pricing structure benefits guests a lot more including special rates with limited inclusions and other rates with more inclusions including half-board/full-board rather than going full out for a higher price (discussions over whether Amanpulo should just be all-inclusive ala North Island, &Beyond Mnemba etc).
Old Dec 25, 2017, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

everything is tradeoff. besides aforementioned cost, some (only a few?) puri rooms have privacy at end of long walkways. trisara rooms are next to driving paths which is best for accessibility but not best for noise. trisara originally had some rooms that shared a wall, seem to recall they got rid of them.

pulo started full board Romance in 2000, later adding shorter less expensive Island Escape. although how they handle Romance inclusions and Virtuoso inclusions has changed over time, not just under new owner.

so its not a new structure at aman. although DLF may have been behind some of the experimenting, especially during downturn. specifically re downturn - see yara, started years ago.

for a long time aman had all / almost all as no seasons at all. economy and DLF likely factors in shift. although puri predated that announcing 2007 low season in summer 2006. pulo (at least 1998) and gani (2005) as well. yara (2005) was first aman to open with seasons. in early 2013, 15 of 24 aman had annual rate. of the 9 with seasons, 3 were annual the previous year, and 2 had opened the previous (peak) summer. yara started free night in pavilions at least in 2012 if not before, and first added board for pavilions and free night for villas in 2009. 2 other aman to do free night direct in similar time frame are Beijing and jena.

preferences vary and properties should offer options. its not the fault of property if one does not select appropriate room/rate.

anyone heard where gary tyson is heading?

in addition to what is actually happening with nusa, any updates re ruya?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 2, 2018 at 12:23 pm
Old Dec 30, 2017, 2:27 am

Programs: LH-SEN, Etihad-G, BA-S, GHA-Black, HH-Diamond, PC-Plat, SPG+Marriot-G.
Talking

Originally Posted by deer
Wow, the park next to Amanyangyung looks great!
The reason seems to be that its trees are hundreds of years old, actually trans-planted from a diffrent place. As are the listed Ming-era houses.
Here's the full story
Aman-Resort ?Amanyangyun? bei Schanghai
https://www.ft.com/content/397e2660-...e-f1ea5435bcc7
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/photo...hinese-village
Old Dec 30, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
I was at Amanbagh a few days ago and the GM there said that the Company made a video showing how intensive the effort was to transport the huge, old trees.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 3:36 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by NYCscotsman
Azerai Luang Prabang is no more.

The Malaysian investors have pulled the plug. Was announced to management 2 weeks ago and all the senior team are being let go.

New management contract has been awarded to another operator who will shortly re-brand the property.
It will be Avani apparently. While Azerai looked fine, I really enjoyed Amantaka even in the "new" Aman era.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by xray
It will be Avani apparently. While Azerai looked fine, I really enjoyed Amantaka even in the "new" Aman era.
Thanks for the intel! Do you know when this change in management will occur?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
Same procedure as every year:
As 2017 is over and this thread is very long, we start a new one, the 2018 edition.
So please post here for upcoming and rumored Aman, GHM, Ahn Luh and Azerai resorts:
New Aman, Azerai, GHM & Ahn Luh Resorts - 2018 edition
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Thanks for the intel! Do you know when this change in management will occur?
February.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.