Search

Amanresorts Thread 2017

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:55 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by A4K
There are plenty of laundry services in Ubud for a fraction of the cost of having it done by Aman.

I have used the one across from the Night Rooster a few times before and everything has came back fine. They charge by the item but I had almost an entire 20 inch carry on washed and dried and nicely folded for packing for maybe 30-40K IDR.

Just shove it all in a bag, ask for a ride into town and drop it off. The staff know that their services are overpriced so they don't judge you or anything if they see you with laundry.

For those ever at Nusa, there is also a place right down at the bottom of the hill (on the left, just past where you would take a right to go to the beach club) that the staff has taken me to and did not have any issues there either.
All true. OTOH, also true is that the other laundry services aren't likely to compensate you for accidentally ruining your favorite and pricier clothing. Aman will take care of it. Other laundry services won't. So it isn't always cheaper to use cheaper laundry services.
Aventine likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bhrubin
All true. OTOH, also true is that the other laundry services aren't likely to compensate you for accidentally ruining your favorite and pricier clothing. Aman will take care of it. Other laundry services won't. So it isn't always cheaper to use cheaper laundry services.
With the prices Aman charges (at least in other parts of the world), you could likely buy a whole new wardrobe with the price difference .

$7.50 for a t-shirt - get out of here, Aman Sveti Stefan!

My favorite luxury hotel inclusion of all time is complementary laundry. Amantaka and IIRC Chedi Club Ubud both offer this and I just find it to be such a nice touch. It was really fantastic coming back to our room to find our clothes from the prior day washed and folded.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:17 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by callmedtop
With the prices Aman charges (at least in other parts of the world), you could likely buy a whole new wardrobe with the price difference .

My favorite luxury hotel inclusion of all time is complementary laundry. Amantaka and IIRC Chedi Club Ubud both offer this and I just find it to be such a nice touch. It was really fantastic coming back to our room to find our clothes from the prior day washed and folded.
Haha, agreed. But Amanbagh laundry ruined one of my Zegna shirts, and they comp'd me for it. I do love my Zegna...and Zegna doesn't come cheap.

As one who always loves to carry on while traveling (avoiding checked luggage as much as possible), that requires me to be efficient in packing, dress more casually (which I prefer anyway), and rely on hotel laundry when necessary. The free laundry services at Ananwana, Anjajavy L'Hotel, and Belmont Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge were life savers, indeed.

That being said, I've also used paid laundry services at Oberoi Udaivilas, StR Washington, Westin Charlotte, La Residence, StR Lhasa, and even LM Cambridge to good effect.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Haha, agreed. But Amanbagh laundry ruined one of my Zegna shirts, and they comp'd me for it. I do love my Zegna...and Zegna doesn't come cheap.

As one who always loves to carry on while traveling (avoiding checked luggage as much as possible), that requires me to be efficient in packing, dress more casually (which I prefer anyway), and rely on hotel laundry when necessary. The free laundry services at Ananwana, Anjajavy L'Hotel, and Belmont Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge were life savers, indeed.

That being said, I've also used paid laundry services at Oberoi Udaivilas, StR Washington, Westin Charlotte, La Residence, StR Lhasa, and even LM Cambridge to good effect.
Sure, but the expected value of them damaging even your Zegna shirt is certainly lower than the cost of the laundry service, no? But yes, point taken.

I certainly would not send my (Zegna ) suit to an Indonesian local laundry service, but my resort wear? Why not.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Sure, but the expected value of them damaging even your Zegna shirt is certainly lower than the cost of the laundry service, no? But yes, point taken.

I certainly would not send my (Zegna ) suit to an Indonesian local laundry service, but my resort wear? Why not.
I'd have to question the sanity of anyone who brings a Zegna suit to Indonesia on holiday.

A fair proportion of my entire casual wardrobe is Z Zegna and Zegna Sport. Even Aman paid laundry service doesn't come close in price.
FlyerEC and callmedtop like this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Sep 13, 2017 at 3:40 pm
Old Sep 13, 2017, 3:06 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

If you are getting a whole bag of laundry done, I would get it done by a local company! Paid hotel laundry is best reserved for a few items or if you like to burn money
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

And when you have many 100% silk dresses or items that are dry clean only!
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Aventine
And when you have many 100% silk dresses or items that are dry clean only!
I really don't look good in drag...so I never travel with silk dresses.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:34 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more

Legian/Club at Legian has complimentary laundry too - I see this and complimentary mini-bar (at least the soft stuff) being the way forward as far as inclusions go.

Some of the other Amans have complimentary laundry too - Aman-i-Khas, Amansara...
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Thanks all. We will just drop it at one of the many laundry facilities in the area. We are coming from Africa and our hotel here wants $5/ underwear and $10/tshirt. A little crazy when we have our entire bags of clothes wash.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:31 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Thanks all. We will just drop it at one of the many laundry facilities in the area. We are coming from Africa and our hotel here wants $5/ underwear and $10/tshirt. A little crazy when we have our entire bags of clothes wash.
It's the $5-7.50 charge for underwear that gets me. Literally my underwear is marginally more expensive then that. If I have a nice shirt or something I'm worried about I'll have the hotel do it. However, I'll search a local company out for a bag. Barring that I'm also the guy who washes his underwear in the sink and sets it out to dry. I'll spring for an Aman, but somehow I'm too cheap to pay for laundry. I do wish they would have say a $40 charge for a bag of laundry. I would pay that...

FDW
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

when it opened, it included laundry, according to reports here

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Originally Posted by damaxer91
Have heard that GM Marco Franck is leaving Amanyara to become Regional Director for Aman in Asia.
Ditto Heard similar
updates re jiwo, yara, tokyo GMs ?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
when it opened, it included laundry, according to reports here

updates re jiwo, yara, tokyo GMs ?

I just got back from Jiwo (my first Aman experience - absolutely incredible) and the GM on site was named David? He was spanish if that helps. Super friendly and nice and was around for the first few days of my stay.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

great to hear! how was it vs expectations?

linkedin.com/in/david-garcia-abbba324
wonder whether Acting or promoted

tokyo seems to have Acting GM at moment
yara move may still be pending

edit - it would be interesting if hotels offered different levels of service for laundry

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 15, 2017 at 11:11 am
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: some
Never ever pay that type of ridiculous rate for laundry. If I ever do travel with some super expensive shirt or something, I'll hand-wash it. All the rest (underwear, socks, t-shirts) just goes to a local laundry for a few bucks. Silly buggers to try to charge $5 for a pair of sock that don't even cost $2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.