Wiki Posts
Search

Amanresorts Thread 2017

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

edited my above post

i just noticed that FT search may now require (at least for moment) putting search terms in quotes, for example >
"amanemu" "room"
instead of >
amanemu room

of course with amans can also include "nemu" etc
speaking of splitting aman ("peace") and name >
aman + nusa (nusa dua)
aman + noi ("place")
aman + nemu ("joy")
vs
aman + era ("water" in taino)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 13, 2017 at 12:22 pm
Old Aug 24, 2017, 6:38 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
edited my above post

i just noticed that FT search may now require (at least for moment) putting search terms in quotes, for example >
"amanemu" "room"
instead of >
amanemu room

of course with amans can also include "nemu" etc
speaking of splitting aman ("peace") and name >
aman + nusa (nusa dua)
aman + noi ("place")
aman + nemu ("joy")
vs
aman + era ("water" in taino)
How inconvenient to have to insert quotes

The new Aman font / script also has removed apostrophes , etc
Like for No'i is now Amanoi not Amano'i
Erosion of style & uniqueness continues .

Getting rather pedestrian .

Perhaps cost cutting too as some of the bags rip easily .
Not to mention the hats !
This is occurring across properties so likely not due to suppliers standards but them having to use cheaper materials / ways of producing items ?

Far from Aman quality of yore
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
How inconvenient to have to insert quotes

The new Aman font / script also has removed apostrophes , etc
Like for No'i is now Amanoi not Amano'i
Erosion of style & uniqueness continues .

Getting rather pedestrian .

Perhaps cost cutting too as some of the bags rip easily .
Not to mention the hats !
This is occurring across properties so likely not due to suppliers standards but them having to use cheaper materials / ways of producing items ?

Far from Aman quality of yore
My Jiwo 2013 luggage tags are still strong and kicking! ^
FlyerEC and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
My Jiwo 2013 luggage tags are still strong and kicking! ^

Some of my tags from various Amans were stolen ? last year . Missing after I landed at JFK from SEA .
Some look worse for wear .

Have to remove from check in luggage , if any left on , before I fly next week . Leave on hand carry ( s ) & save the others .
Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I miss the original fonts already...
Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Some of my tags from various Amans were stolen ? last year . Missing after I landed at JFK from SEA .
Some look worse for wear .

Have to remove from check in luggage , if any left on , before I fly next week . Leave on hand carry ( s ) & save the others .
Sorry to hear that FlyerEC. A timely warning.

I've got all mine in a drawer and only keep the Noi one on my hand luggage mainly 'cos I've got more than one!
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:01 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
First time at an Aman coming up. Kila, Dari and Nusa. What kind of tipping should I offer. I am from Canada and used to tipping 15-20%. What should I do here? Butler? Meals? Drinks? Etc? Thanks!
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
First time at an Aman coming up. Kila, Dari and Nusa. What kind of tipping should I offer. I am from Canada and used to tipping 15-20%. What should I do here? Butler? Meals? Drinks? Etc? Thanks!
Nothing is expected with anyone. They'll do their jobs to the best of their abilities.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:12 am
Aman Contributor Badge

I generally do not at all tip at Amans in Indonesia (or other Amans) as there is a service charge included. Only exception is extraordinary service, like when our guide went back after hiking to search for and then found a camera which our son lost during hiking. No tips for meals and drinks and houskeeping. Feels natural not to tip after meals as you do not even sign bills. Have not had a butler in Indonesia, but did tip butler at Amanpulo after he not only did normal butler tasks, but also played with our son, took him on little excursions around the island etc.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Nothing is expected with anyone. They'll do their jobs to the best of their abilities.
Originally Posted by Musken
I generally do not at all tip at Amans in Indonesia (or other Amans) as there is a service charge included. Only exception is extraordinary service, like when our guide went back after hiking to search for and then found a camera which our son lost during hiking. No tips for meals and drinks and houskeeping. Feels natural not to tip after meals as you do not even sign bills. Have not had a butler in Indonesia, but did tip butler at Amanpulo after he not only did normal butler tasks, but also played with our son, took him on little excursions around the island etc.
Tipping is not expected or encouraged at Amans .

However , as Musken has said , if something was done really ' way & beyond ' , you may want to give something as a token of appreciation .

In Indonesian Amans , there maybe a note in the folio which says to may leave for common pool .
Staff are paid rather lowly but " fair " compared to some other hotels on Bali , all are within country ' s range .
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:40 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
The other posters are quite correct about not tipping at Amans. However I do recall that when I visited some Amans, Amandari in particular, I left an envelope at the end with a note to the manager, and the tips were distribututed to the staff. I received a nice note by email afterwards from the manager. I recall that others have done this as well. I do find it hard not to tip (as a Canadian) for Aman guides and drivers in particular, as they are generally just so fantastic.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:48 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
You will be charged 11% VAT and 10% service on top of your room rate. Thus tipping is pretty much already paid for.

Moreover, you will not be presented with bills each time you have a meal or a drink, so no opportunity to add a tip at that time.

That being said, I think it's appropriate to provide individuals with an expression of appreciation for their gracious service to you — but nothing like 15-20% ...
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Thanks everyone! One last question. Is the laundry somewhat reasonable at kila / Dari? We have a whollle bunch
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Is the laundry somewhat reasonable at kila / Dari? We have a whollle bunch
if amanwana includes laundry, do 1 night?
were flights restarted? ah, expensive
aman.com/resorts/amanwana/flights

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 14, 2017 at 8:42 am
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:39 pm
A4K

Programs: N/A
Thanks everyone! One last question. Is the laundry somewhat reasonable at kila / Dari? We have a whollle bunch
There are plenty of laundry services in Ubud for a fraction of the cost of having it done by Aman.

I have used the one across from the Night Rooster a few times before and everything has came back fine. They charge by the item but I had almost an entire 20 inch carry on washed and dried and nicely folded for packing for maybe 30-40K IDR.

Just shove it all in a bag, ask for a ride into town and drop it off. The staff know that their services are overpriced so they don't judge you or anything.

For those ever at Nusa, there is also a place right down at the bottom of the hill (on the left, just past where you would take a right to go to the beach club) that the staff has taken me to and did not have any issues there either.

Last edited by A4K; Sep 13, 2017 at 12:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.