Search

Australia/NZ

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2016, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Australia/NZ

Recommendations please.

i am planning a trip to Australia and New Zealand in December 2017/January 2018.

The outline plan is to spend the first week in New Zealand. I have been told that we should head to Queenstown/Milford Sound.

We will then fly to Australia. I need a recommendation as to where to spend the second week. Originally I was planning to go to the Whitsundays/GBR, probably staying at Hagman Island. But I have since been told that it is a bad time of year to go. Too hot and jellyfishy, apparently.

We will spend the final week in Sydney.

So my questions are as follows:-

Where (locations and hotels) would you recommend we stay in NZ?

Ditto re week 2 in Australia.

Which hotels would you recommend in Sydney?

We are 2 adults and 2 boys, who will be 9 and nearly 11.

Many thanks for any help you can give.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 10:30 am

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 2018 at 10:38 am
Old Dec 26, 2016, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by THEPUMA
Recommendations please.

I am planning a trip to Australia and New Zealand in December 2017/January 2018.
<snip>
Many thanks for any help you can give.
You have posted this in the luxury hotels forum. I that the intent?
Or a general Au/NZ question? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...h-pacific-461/

Note that Dec Jan is a peak time for travel in Au/NZ
Old Dec 26, 2016, 10:46 am

With all Australia has to offer, and such limited time, I'm concerned you may be spreading yourself too thin.

At the least, I cannot fathom a full week in Sydney; not when you only have three with which to work, and are looking at both NZ and Aus.

Australia, generally, is not the place to go for world class luxury, IMO, with perhaps an exception or two (e.g. Saffire or COMO Perth). Of course NZ has a plenitude of wonderful lodges.

May I suggest, unless you're just hell-bent on going to both countries, picking one and dedicating three weeks there?
Old Dec 26, 2016, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Unfortunately our hands are tied as we need to visit relatives in both Sydney and New Zealand.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Or a general Au/NZ question? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...h-pacific-461/

Yes I am looking for luxury hotels, ideally.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by THEPUMA

Yes I am looking for luxury hotels, ideally.
That restricts your options a lot
Old Dec 26, 2016, 11:14 am
Original Poster

That restricts your options a lot
It's only a preference, not an absolute requirement.

I am happy to start with planning out the ideal locations, then choose the best hotels from there, unless there are any must-see hotels.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 12:14 pm

Too far out to plan IMO
Old Dec 26, 2016, 12:32 pm

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 2018 at 10:38 am
Old Dec 26, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: HH, VA, QF, SQ, Air NZ
Cairns will be hot and muggy...but the Whitsundays not as much.
For luxury try:
Emirates One & Only resort at Wolgan Valley - some good activities for the kids. Only 3 hours from Sydney and for your limited time will probably be the best bang for you.

If you can escape Sydney and want a unique experience try Lord Howe Island - Capella Lodge is the go to there.

A week in Australia will either get to a heap of fly there, flew out or 1 maybe 2 great places to explore.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 6:45 pm

I'm a virtuoso agent and I absolutely love the Langham in Sydney. Stayed in both Langham, Four Seasons, and Park Hyatt, and aside from the views Park Hyatt not worth the extra cost -- and in no way would I recommend the FS despite cheap prices. Happy to help if you DM me with Virtuoso benefits.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlfriedman
I'm a virtuoso agent and I absolutely love the Langham in Sydney. Stayed in both Langham, Four Seasons, and Park Hyatt, and aside from the views Park Hyatt not worth the extra cost -- and in no way would I recommend the FS despite cheap prices. Happy to help if you DM me with Virtuoso benefits.
To me Four Seasons and Park Hyatt are not luxury hotels: just a better quality chain hotels (but still a chain)
The Dec Jan weather knocks out FNQ (too muggy & humid) and the Red Centre (just far too hot)
Old Dec 27, 2016, 6:03 am
Suspended

I'd definitely agree with those that say Langham is the top option in SYD. Never understood the Park Hyatt love, both on FlyerTalk and elsewhere. Take away the view and - to me - it's just another Hyatt...
Old Dec 27, 2016, 7:15 am

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 2018 at 10:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.