Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

European Country Hotels with Michelin Restaurant

Old Nov 28, 16, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Hi FT's,

So I love luxury travel. Especially country hotels with excellent food. I have been to Viamichelin.com and can't find a way to find hotels in Europe with a Michelin restaurant? - Can anyone help with a list?

I have noted Relais & Châteaux's properties. Also noted SLH.com, Chateauxhotels.com and LHW's list of their properties with Michelin-starred restaurants, but I guess there are a lot more hotels with Michelin restaurant not in those lists? I need this so I can plan a trip around Europe for next year.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Last edited by travelafrica; Nov 28, 16 at 3:04 pm Reason: forgot x in Chateauxhotels.com
Old Nov 28, 16, 3:43 pm

I'll start you off with the 2 and 3 stars in the UK. I have not kept up to date with the list, so I may be missing some.

• Waterside Inn - eaten, not stayed - rip off.
  • Andrew Fairlie at Gleneagles - stayed, not eaten - mediocre
  • Gidleigh Park - eaten and stayed. Loved both the meal and hotel.
  • Le Manoir aux Quat’Saisons - eaten twice, not stayed. Both times disappointing, the second time we were made to wait an hour for our table.
  • Whatley Manor - eaten and stayed, many, many times. Very good, albeit a shame the menu never changes, but the chef is leaving in January so it might just finally do so.
  • The Latymer at Pennyhill Park - stayed, not eaten - nice spa, but the hotel gave the feeling of being low-end, especially the breakfast area that felt like a holiday camp.
Old Nov 28, 16, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MacMyDay View Post
I'll start you off with the 2 and 3 stars in the UK. I have not kept up to date with the list, so I may be missing some.

• Waterside Inn - eaten, not stayed - rip off.
  • Andrew Fairlie at Gleneagles - stayed, not eaten - mediocre
  • Gidleigh Park - eaten and stayed. Loved both the meal and hotel.
  • Le Manoir aux Quat’Saisons - eaten twice, not stayed. Both times disappointing, the second time we were made to wait an hour for our table.
  • Whatley Manor - eaten and stayed, many, many times. Very good, albeit a shame the menu never changes, but the chef is leaving in January so it might just finally do so.
  • The Latymer at Pennyhill Park - stayed, not eaten - nice spa, but the hotel gave the feeling of being low-end, especially the breakfast area that felt like a holiday camp.
Thank you for the kind help :-) One step closer.
Old Nov 28, 16, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by travelafrica View Post
Hi FT's,

So I love luxury travel. Especially country hotels with excellent food. I have been to Viamichelin.com and can't find a way to find hotels in Europe with a Michelin restaurant? - Can anyone help with a list?

I have noted Relais & Châteaux's properties. Also noted SLH.com, Chateauxhotels.com and LHW's list of their properties with Michelin-starred restaurants, but I guess there are a lot more hotels with Michelin restaurant not in those lists? I need this so I can plan a trip around Europe for next year.

Any help is highly appreciated.
Traube Tonbach, Black Forest of Germany
Old Nov 28, 16, 4:55 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by PHLbuddy View Post
Traube Tonbach, Black Forest of Germany
Bareiss nearby
Dollenberg
Burg Schlitz

So many options, too much for one trip. Which region? France alone has so many options
Old Nov 28, 16, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum View Post
Bareiss nearby
Dollenberg
Burg Schlitz

So many options, too much for one trip. Which region? France alone has so many options
Thans but they are all Relais & Châteaux. Looking for hotels with Michelin star that are not in all of Europe except UK and Ireland.
Old Nov 28, 16, 7:21 pm
Original Member

Gravetye Manor in West Sussex, one M star
Old Nov 28, 16, 8:01 pm

Most original. De Librije in Holland. 3 star with converted women's prison as hotel. http://www.librije.com/
Old Nov 28, 16, 11:17 pm

I would be very careful about choosing Relais & Chateaux properties. Some are indeed lovely but others can be very tired and dated. R&C appear to have no serious inspection programme, nor do they care when one of their 5C Members, such as myself, complain about the standards at any of their hotels. R&C is essentially a booking organisation for vaguely similar hotels who pay them a huge annual fee.

I have found SLH hotels to be similarly inconsistent, though they treat their Club members rather better in my experience.

A Michelin star does not guarantee you a great meal, only a big bill, as Macmyday's post above indicates.

Lists of Michelin starred restaurants in individual countries are easily found on the internet. As a rule of thumb, Michelin is generally reliable in France, Germany and Switzerland. Less reliable in the UK and usually quite misguided or eccentric in Italy and Spain.

Last edited by Pausanias; Nov 29, 16 at 1:13 am
Old Nov 28, 16, 11:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you can pin down areas of Europe, it would be feasible to start with a list of Michelin starred restaurants in the region and look up which ones are in hotels or are classified as restaurants with rooms.
Old Nov 29, 16, 3:28 am

It isn't quite a luxury hotel but L'enclume (Simon Rogan 2*) in Cartmel in the Lake District has lovely (but not super lux) rooms in a variety of buildings scattered around the centre of Cartmel. The room rate includes a great breakfast in Simon Rogan's more casual restaurant (Rogan and Company) and you can obviously book L'enclume for dinner. There are actually 3 Rogan restaurants in the village L'enclume, Rogan and Company and a pub which gives good variety of dinner options if you want it. The Lake District proper is about 30 minutes drive away but great for building up an appetite.
Old Nov 29, 16, 3:36 am
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Pausanias View Post
A Michelin star does not guarantee you a great meal, only a big bill, as Macmyday's post above indicates.

Lists of Michelin starred restaurants in individual countries are easily found on the internet. As a rule of thumb, Michelin is generally reliable in France, Germany and Switzerland. Less reliable in the UK and usually quite misguided or eccentric in Italy and Spain.
Of course no guarantee, but mostly had good meals. Also wasn´t mislead in Spain or UK, with one excemption (Alain Ducasse London).

I still think your region is too vague, as there are many options. Planing a trip to Provence at the moment where many great restaurants and hotels are available.
Old Nov 29, 16, 4:01 am

Would absolutely add Les Trois Rois in Basel and Chateau Les Crayeres in Reims, for both outstanding accommodations as well as outstanding restaurants
Old Nov 29, 16, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by EfficientTraveller View Post
It isn't quite a luxury hotel but L'enclume (Simon Rogan 2*) in Cartmel in the Lake District has lovely (but not super lux) rooms in a variety of buildings scattered around the centre of Cartmel.
We had a nice room at L'Enclume but I can't begin to describe the utter boredom and pretension and up-themselves attitude of their restaurant. That meal of 20-odd nibble courses was a total joke.

I know people love it and food is a deeply personal thing but I won't go near tasting menus or this wacky food that forages for a weed in a field, sticks it on a plate with tweezers and pretends it's gastronomy.

Now, my idea of Michelin hotel/restaurant heaven is this:

http://www.auberge-de-l-ill.com/en/

Last edited by Pausanias; Nov 29, 16 at 5:25 am
Old Nov 29, 16, 4:24 am

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 18 at 9:00 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: