Community
Wiki Posts
Search

European Country Hotels with Michelin Restaurant

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2016, 5:26 am
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: Hilton Diamond
De Lindenhof in Giethoorn, the Netherlands has a 2* restaurant. But honestly I didn't like the food that much, (maybe it's just me). The inn and breakfast were great though and Giethoorn is a fantastic place to visit. Theres's awonderful little cafe next to the hotel where you can rent a handmade wooden boat to cruise the canals.

Hostellerie Bérard - La Cadičre-d'Azur,France has a 1* restaurant. I stayed but haven't eaten. Not really a luxury hotel, but we enjoyed it. It is in a very picturesque yet un-touristy hilltop village in Provence surrounded by the vineyards of Bandol. Lovely area to stay in.

Vila Joya in Algarve Portugal – I have not been but it’s on my list
Old Nov 29, 2016, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by aa213bb
Would absolutely add Les Trois Rois in Basel and Chateau Les Crayeres in Reims, for both outstanding accommodations as well as outstanding restaurants
Yes, but country hotel?
Old Nov 29, 2016, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Pausanias
I would be very careful about choosing Relais & Chateaux properties. Some are indeed lovely but others can be very tired and dated. R&C appear to have no serious inspection programme, nor do they care when one of their 5C Members, such as myself, complain about the standards at any of their hotels. R&C is essentially a booking organisation for vaguely similar hotels who pay them a huge annual fee.
I won't say they are all perfect because I haven't been to them all. But I have been to many R&C hotels and restaurants and they've all been excellent for me. And always well taken care of as a Club 5C member.

Lists of Michelin starred restaurants in individual countries are easily found on the internet. As a rule of thumb, Michelin is generally reliable in France, Germany and Switzerland. Less reliable in the UK and usually quite misguided or eccentric in Italy and Spain.
Belgium's Michelin restaurants are just as good, if not better, than France.

But back to the OP's question, here is another group of countryside castles based in France. http://www.grandesetapes.com/
Old Nov 30, 2016, 3:38 am

I see the long-time chef at Whatley Manor, Martin Burge, has left shortly after the arrival of a new manager. Burge had held two Michelin stars for many years but his relatively recent introduction of a no other option, multi-course tasting menu certainly put me off going there again. His replacement is 25 year-old Niall Keating who has worked with Sat Bains, which isn't good news but maybe he'll turn his back on the nitro gas and the water bath and produce some proper cooking.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

25 year-old Niall Keating
At least daring.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 9:37 am

I see the long-time chef at Whatley Manor, Martin Burge, has left shortly after the arrival of a new manager. Burge had held two Michelin stars for many years but his relatively recent introduction of a no other option, multi-course tasting menu certainly put me off going there again. His replacement is 25 year-old Niall Keating who has worked with Sat Bains, which isn't good news but maybe he'll turn his back on the nitro gas and the water bath and produce some proper cooking.
Niall starts at Whatley Manor tomorrow and yes, I suspect Martin Burge left, after 13 years, due to the rather more stringent management style of Sue Williams. Not a bad thing, as Martin's food was becoming a tad predictable and totally inflexible.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Niall starts at Whatley Manor tomorrow and yes, I suspect Martin Burge left, after 13 years, due to the rather more stringent management style of Sue Williams. Not a bad thing, as Martin's food was becoming a tad predictable and totally inflexible.
Martin Burge has said that he abandoned the a la carte menu because he couldn't guarantee consistency. What a shocking admission from a ** Michelin chef! Tell that to Michel Roux Jnr or Marcus Wareing or many other chefs who still cling to classic principles.

Personally I think food has taken a downward spiral in recent years, egged on by Michelin which seems to have abandoned the idea of classical and national cuisines. There is no such thing nowadays of French or Italian food. There is only Michelin food which looks the same all around the world.

And these godawful tasting menus which are all about the convenience to the kitchen rather than the pleasure of the diner. Tasting menus allow tight portion control and because a kitchen knows exactly what every table will be eating they can make so much in advance. Why show your skill and pan fry a duck breast when you can shove it in a water bath at 3pm and let it sit there.

There are signs that the fashion for this kind of food is on the wane and hopefully Whatley Manor's new chef will offer a proper carte, befitting a luxury country house hotel.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personally I think food has taken a downward spiral in recent years, egged on by Michelin which seems to have abandoned the idea of classical and national cuisines. There is no such thing nowadays of French or Italian food. There is only Michelin food which looks the same all around the world.
Let's be clear that you are talking about the UK, where trends blow with the winds. In France there is still traditional French food at most of the top restaurants. Likewise for Italian food in Italy.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 10:53 am

Martin Burge has said that he abandoned the a la carte menu because he couldn't guarantee consistency. What a shocking admission from a ** Michelin chef! Tell that to Michel Roux Jnr or Marcus Wareing or many other chefs who still cling to classic principles.

And these godawful tasting menus which are all about the convenience to the kitchen rather than the pleasure of the diner. Tasting menus allow tight portion control and because a kitchen knows exactly what every table will be eating they can make so much in advance. Why show your skill and pan fry a duck breast when you can shove it in a water bath at 3pm and let it sit there.

There are signs that the fashion for this kind of food is on the wane and hopefully Whatley Manor's new chef will offer a proper carte, befitting a luxury country house hotel.
I agree with everything you say here. I am thoroughly tired of tasting menus, molecular and en serie Michelin cuisine.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 4:04 pm
BLV

I agree with everything you say here.
And so do I.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree with everything you say here. I am thoroughly tired of tasting menus, molecular and en serie Michelin cuisine.
Lameloise is a 3 star restaurant in Burgundy. To me, it's the best in France and one of the best in the world. If you look at their website, you can see the motto Tradition is Innovation.

Go ahead, click on the menu and show me something molecular.

http://www.lameloise.fr/en/restaurant-lameloise/

La tradition, c'est innover

Last edited by stimpy; Dec 1, 2016 at 6:59 pm
Old Dec 1, 2016, 6:55 pm
Suspended

I am tired of tasting menus/molecular cuisine as well.

That said, had a killer meal at Gaggan (BKK) the other week. Blown away.

As for EU hotels w/ Michelin restaurants, check out Hotel Okura in AMS. Yamazato is the best sushi/Japanese I've had outside Japan/NYC.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 8:53 pm

Programs: AC; Fairmont Plat; Accor Plat; SPG Plat, BA Gold; A3*G; AB Gold;
Originally Posted by pricesquire
I am tired of tasting menus/molecular cuisine as well.

That said, had a killer meal at Gaggan (BKK) the other week. Blown away.

As for EU hotels w/ Michelin restaurants, check out Hotel Okura in AMS. Yamazato is the best sushi/Japanese I've had outside Japan/NYC.
Ate at Gaggan about 3 weeks ago, and though the food was decidedly above average, and creative - we had an absolute mare service wise.

Back on the topic - we had an absolutely wonderful experience at Chateau de Fere a couple of years ago - not sure if their restaurant is still Michelin starred, but the service, both in the chateaux, and in the restaurant were sublime. Sommelier was literally the best I've ever experienced.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 6:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Have you thought about Spain? We stayed at the Marques de Riscal which has a Michelin star rated restaurant...plus some amazing architecture and good wine to go with it.

http://www.hotel-marquesderiscal.com/en
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by jantaoYVR
Ate at Gaggan about 3 weeks ago, and though the food was decidedly above average, and creative - we had an absolute mare service wise.

Back on the topic - we had an absolutely wonderful experience at Chateau de Fere a couple of years ago - not sure if their restaurant is still Michelin starred, but the service, both in the chateaux, and in the restaurant were sublime. Sommelier was literally the best I've ever experienced.
They claim on their website it is but had a look on viamichelin and it´s not starred any more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.