Wiki Posts
Search

Free Room Upgrades without programs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2016, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus
Free Room Upgrades without programs

There seems to be this secret circle of people who can get free upgrades, amenities and perks at luxury properties around the world even though they are not enrolled in any programs.

Although I have elite plus status flying, I switch hotels a lot and do not currently hold any status at any chain. Many of the hotels I visit do not have memberships anyway.

I am not one to beg and bargain, or haggle with the hotels for free stuff, so I have always looked with awe at those who can get these upgrades out of nowhere. I do have a 12k instagram account on travel (tcmb99 if you want to look), and I do not have a blog.

Anyone have any insight on this topic?
Old Nov 11, 2016, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Beside programs which doesn't require enrollment it's simetimes a question of bargaining or simply luck. Some hotels frequently upgrade guests to please them.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 3:00 am

Programs: Amanjunkie
Book through a Virtuoso agent to increase your chances.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 3:32 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Yes, a Virtuoso agent can get you upgrades. Sometimes negotiated ahead of time. More often upon arrival at the property. They can get you other free stuff, too.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 3:47 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

I would go one step further and try to book with an agent who has a more specific status at the hotel, such as a FS Preferred Partner or MO FAN Club. Not available at all hotels, of course, but it helps a lot if it is available.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 5:13 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by hannisen
I would go one step further and try to book with an agent who has a more specific status at the hotel, such as a FS Preferred Partner or MO FAN Club. Not available at all hotels, of course, but it helps a lot if it is available.
Essentially yes - if you aren't repeat at a hotel (and aren't celebrating something special which you've already informed them of beforehand), book Virtuoso, a preferred partner, FHR etc etc. or just someone who has very good relations with the hotel.

Last edited by chinmoylad; Nov 11, 2016 at 9:39 am
Old Nov 11, 2016, 6:20 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Could just be a frequent guest. Even though the hotel may not have a formal program, they still know who stays a lot and who spends a lot.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 8:31 am

Upon check-in just ask how much the cost is for an upgrade. Some hotels will offer to do so without charge.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by erik123
Upon check-in just ask how much the cost is for an upgrade. Some hotels will offer to do so without charge.
Totally cool at Luxury hotels! Not the way I check in
Old Nov 12, 2016, 6:27 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, RC STARS, MO FanClub, Dorchester Diamond, Luxury Priv, Peninsula PenClub
Free upgrades and more at most luxury hotels

In addition to free upgrades if available on arrival, and sometimes at the time of booking, a Virtuoso agent will arrange for free breakfast for 2 people daily, a value-added amenity such as a food and beverage, spa credit or airport transfer, and many times a special welcome amenity. There are many Virtuoso agents here who are also members of hotel programs with enhanced benefits:
★ Four Seasons Preferred Partner
★ Rosewood Elite
★ Dorchester Collection Diamond Club
★ Sir Rocco’s Knights
★ Relais & Chateaux Preferred Partner
★ Belmond Bellini Club
★ Starwood Luxury Privileges Program
★ Mandarin Oriental FanClub
★ Ritz-Carlton STARS
★ Peninsula Pen Club
★ Shangri-La Golden Circle
★ Sofitel STEP
★ Oetker Collection Pearl Partner
★ Jumeirah Passport to Luxury
★ Preferred Hotels Platinum Partner
Old Nov 12, 2016, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
Totally cool at Luxury hotels! Not the way I check in
The OP states he doesn't want to bargain. Rooms are a perishable good so indicating you are looking to upgrade is a good strategy.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 2:10 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
You can only get what you ask for, in general, with luxury properties that don't have official frequent guest/loyalty programs. If you don't ask for more, you rarely will get much more.

If you want to use a Virtuoso agent, that can be helpful, but rarely more than a category or two upgrade in my (admittedly limited) experience.

I almost always get upgraded...but then I always ask. As much as possible, I travel at shoulder season or low season when occupancy is lower and upgrade chances are higher. When you ask for an upgrade and there are few guests, it's a lot easier to get a big upgrade. I never travel at high season if I can avoid it....and then I rarely expect any upgrade.

I almost always reach out to the GM or comparable person to ask for a specific upgrade. Even if I don't get what I want, I often find myself upgraded to something a lot nicer than I otherwise might.

For some properties, I do negotiate. If you don't want to negotiate, don't expect the amazing upgrade to fall in your lap.

For some properties, I simply reserve the amazing suite that I want. Sometimes I negotiate a better price; sometimes I accept the given price.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 6:31 pm

I'm at Cobblers Cove right now in Barbados. I booked through the R&C website, we've been 5C members for years and always get an upgrade, champagne and other goodies. Not here. Nothing. The lowest grade room even though they are only 60 percent capacity. A gorgeous property in many respects, except perhaps for the most crucial one - the beach is subject to massive erosion, like much of the west coast of Barbados. It's a big issue here.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 6:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Pausanias
I'm at Cobblers Cove right now in Barbados. I booked through the R&C website, we've been 5C members for years and always get an upgrade, champagne and other goodies. Not here. Nothing. The lowest grade room even though they are only 60 percent capacity. A gorgeous property in many respects, except perhaps for the most crucial one - the beach is subject to massive erosion, like much of the west coast of Barbados. It's a big issue here.
Have you com aimed about the lack of upgrade or other amenity?

It's easier to get good upgrades on short stays.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
You can only get what you ask for, in general, with luxury properties that don't have official frequent guest/loyalty programs. If you don't ask for more, you rarely will get much more.

If you want to use a Virtuoso agent, that can be helpful, but rarely more than a category or two upgrade in my (admittedly limited) experience.

I almost always get upgraded...but then I always ask. As much as possible, I travel at shoulder season or low season when occupancy is lower and upgrade chances are higher. When you ask for an upgrade and there are few guests, it's a lot easier to get a big upgrade. I never travel at high season if I can avoid it....and then I rarely expect any upgrade.

I almost always reach out to the GM or comparable person to ask for a specific upgrade. Even if I don't get what I want, I often find myself upgraded to something a lot nicer than I otherwise might.

For some properties, I do negotiate. If you don't want to negotiate, don't expect the amazing upgrade to fall in your lap.

For some properties, I simply reserve the amazing suite that I want. Sometimes I negotiate a better price; sometimes I accept the given price.
I'm curious how this actually works out or what does someon have to write / negotiate to a GM or similar to score an amazing upgrade?
You write Virtuoso bookings get "rarely more than a category or two upgrade" ... did you ever get more just for asking / negotiating ?

Like "Im interessted in your hotel and would instantly book it if I could just get a suite with a view if I book the entry level room..." ?

I just cannot imagine a hotel would give out a 3 way or more upgrade in advance just because someone ask for it ?

With what should someone negotiate to get "an amazing upgrade" ?
I guess its not some kind of begging like " We are coming for our XX anniversary and would love to stay at a suite but only have a budget of ..." ?

Also do people have sucess with a request like a email to the hotel " Im in XXX for that date YYY and would like to have a suite. I see your hotel has one for fe 750$/night, but your competitor has a similar suite for 600 avalible. Would it be possible for you to match that price"

Would love to hear about sucessfull experience people had in this area...

PS: I can imagine that there are some good negotiations possible with really big booking like if some books a presidential suite + 5-10 regular rooms for a couple days...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.