Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Santorini + what?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2016, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Santorini + what?

I want to go to Santorini for a 5 year anniversary next year (late aug into early sept). It seems that Canaves Oia and Katikies are the two hotels that are jumping out as having best reviews. A lot of people here are favoring Katikies, can anyone review Canaves?

Also, what would you pair santorini with? Id like to visit another island perhaps for a couple nights to split up the week. Does anyone have any other hotel/island recs?

I know amanzoe is popular, but it seems like quite a pain to get from Santorini to amanzoe.

Thanks for the help
Old Nov 11, 2016, 8:18 am

I prefer Katikies, as it has more character and better service, but Canaves is very acceptable, especially if you stay in a Grande Suite. I find the other accommodation a bit cold and sparse.

You could combine Santorini with Amanzo'e. I would start off at Amanzo'e and get them to collect you from Athens airport, then upon your return to Athens, and depending upon the time of flights to Santorini, you may need to spend a night at the airport hotel.

Mykonos is a bit of a disappointment after Santorini - currently, there is nothing too wonderful. Crete is better - epecially if you go to Elounda - but all the main islands are very touristy, apart from the mainland, and Amanzo'e.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the Elounda recommendation. It looks quite nice. I'll have to look into the ease of transfer between Santorini and Amanzoe, versus Santorini and Crete. As its already a long flight from NYC, im not sure id want to spend a night in Athens.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 8:57 pm

Programs: QFF SG, Kris Flyer Silver
I stayed in Canaves Oia Suites 2 years ago and was upgraded to a honeymoon suite (although not on honeymoon I thought it was pretty good in terms of hard product and service. We were given use of another room on the day of check-out due to late flight - room was in the hotel section and it was rather drab so best to book into the suite section. Canaves Oia is right next door to Katikies.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 11:30 pm

We did this trip in May, and I'd highly recommend Amanzoe. Too, there is no chance I would do anything other than end there, as I feel like any accommodations afterwards will pale in comparison.

We spent a couple nights in Athens, then four or so in Santorini (stayed at San Antonio, as I am not a fan of the claustrophobic nature of Oia, Fira, etc.), then took a morning flight back to Athens and drove ourselves to Amanzoe (lovely drive).

Highly recommended.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by neuman101
Thank you for the Elounda recommendation. It looks quite nice. I'll have to look into the ease of transfer between Santorini and Amanzoe, versus Santorini and Crete. As its already a long flight from NYC, im not sure id want to spend a night in Athens.
2 flights and a 1 hour drive vs 1 flight and a 3 hour drive. Airport in crete is an experience, worth a few hours drive
Old Nov 14, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by neuman101
Santorini and Crete transfer is easy with a high speed ferry. We did it in 2014 and I think the trip took around 3 hours if I remember correctly. The thing to keep in mind is that the ferry (and airport for that matter) are in Heraklion and you will either have to rent a car or hire a car service to get to Elounda which is about 1-1.5 hours away. We booked a car service pick-up directly with the hotel (Blue Palace) both to and from the hotel.

We are going to be in Elounda again this year but staying at the Domes in Elounda for a change. Will be arriving by ferry from Mykonos this time as we are looking to see Mykonos on this trip vs Santorini on the last. When we did Santorini we stayed at Mystique in Oia.

We also looked at including Amanzoe in our schedule but they were all booked out for our dates in June 2017. If you are considering it, I would book ASAP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.