Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

First Bali Trip - Hotel Recommendations? Amex FHR vs other? (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Bali Trip - Hotel Recommendations? Amex FHR vs other? (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 6:01 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
st regis owner owns FS jakarta
rajawalipropertygroup.com/ourportfolio.html
(if no FS bali/langkawi they may have done FS)

a while ago BENLEE was very positive re W on same trip as amankila

id think amex travel can book aman Exclusives/Packages
could also negotiate directly with aman, or via agent
if 2 rooms, could ask amanusa about villas at checkin
FHR/virtuoso can't stack the exclusives with the additional benefits like they used to...speaking from experience working with an agent to see what they could do. Anything would have to be negotiated outside the rate benefits
Old May 14, 2017, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

dont really require them for "benefits" at aman, vs most branded hotels

IIRC "Undiscovered" for aman indonesia publishes 2 night minimum online

cant check rates for multi-aman Exclusives/Packages online

when excursions included, get the pricelist (included vs not included)

when aman includes breakfast, should be better than via agent

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 14, 2017 at 6:20 pm
Old May 14, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Checkout the rooftop suites at Katamama.
Old May 14, 2017, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Checkout the rooftop suites at Katamama.
Or the Katamama suite itself -which has 2rooms which will suit the boys well.
The roof top suite though nice idea is a bit of a miss for me ( hardly used the rooftop in the day and evening it was too dark and too cosy for my liking ( read cramp )
Trouble with Katamama of late is the construction of their new hotel right next door - there is noise .
Recommend the katamama suite though .

OR
The Legian Beach house or the top suite with sea view .
Hotel is right on the beach and room is elevated .
Excellent all round and value proposition fir what it is .
And despite what's been said , the occasional walk to potato head club won't harm .

St Regis or for that matter Nusa Dua is a bland and isolated world of its own and unless you're the King of Saudi Arabia , may not be that attractive even at the best of times .
Old May 15, 2017, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by devastor
Just got back from Amankila and did the private beach dinner and afternoon snorkeling cruise. Both amazing experiences, however the afternoon snorkeling cruise to me was the best value for your money at 1,000,000 a person. They even let us leave an hour earlier to fit our schedule due to the kids!
You will enjoy any tour you do through them. As already mentioned if you want to tweak the tour a little simply ask.
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
we loved our private beach dinner. Shane sat down and talked about what we wanted and really hit it out of the park.

the snorkeling cruise is greaf. We were able to get ours without any other guests!

fdw
Hi guys -- I'm also interested in booking a private beach dinner at Amankila. Just curious how far in advance did you arrange for it? Thanks in advance!
Old May 15, 2017, 9:28 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by jbeans
Hi guys -- I'm also interested in booking a private beach dinner at Amankila. Just curious how far in advance did you arrange for it? Thanks in advance!
Well , at latest , possibly on the same day . Special requests may take longer to procure though .
However , best indicate to Ernst or Shane of your interest as if someone else books before you , you will have to choose another evening !
Old May 15, 2017, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by jbeans
Yesterday I booked the private beach dinner for beginning June which was no problem.
Old May 15, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Thank you for the responses!! Chedi Club looks amazing and affordable, I'll look into that!

What's so 'wrong' about StR...is it not even as good as W Seminyak? I can't seem to find any better breakfast than the one at StR (let me know if there are!!) And admittedly I have some irrational obsession with SPG properties...

The cheapest rate I could find for Aman (Amanusa looks good too for us) on their website is actually super attractive but I don't know why FHR doesn't offer it and it doesn't include any excursions for that matter...
+1 for Chedi Club and Legian from me.

Given what you've written, I would also suggest you take a look at the COMO Shambhala also.

When my partner booked it, I approached it with my usual sense of cynicism of any place that uses "yoga", "holistic", "relax" and/or "health" in its main description but I actually thought it was an incredible experience.

Disclaimer: I love partying but this wasn't the place for it
Old May 15, 2017, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks bearbrick, any thoughts on other 'less known' ?

Originally Posted by Zephyrous
COMO Shambhala
especially if a Residence is empty, and can take one room

long well regarded here, although better prior to como

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 16, 2017 at 12:53 pm
Old May 20, 2017, 2:29 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Thanks so much for the suggestions again. After looking at places like Katamama and COMO I think StR and RC are really many steps behind If anything we can go to StR just to try their breakfast instead of stay there!
Old May 20, 2017, 4:14 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Thanks so much for the suggestions again. After looking at places like Katamama and COMO I think StR and RC are really many steps behind If anything we can go to StR just to try their breakfast instead of stay there!
Without having tried breakfast specifically at St Regis in Bali, I think you'll find there are better breakfasts at other hotels too..
Old May 20, 2017, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Without having tried breakfast specifically at St Regis in Bali, I think you'll find there are better breakfasts at other hotels too..
Exactly. And special request for anything off menu is possible at any good resort. I will not stay at StR even if its breakfast is very good.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; May 20, 2017 at 2:10 pm
Old May 20, 2017, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
avoid StR Bali, unless perhaps if you can take one of their beachfront villas
which include 1BRs that cost less than larger at legian and soori

some do award stay (not sure re SU4 award, unlikely beachfront)

i imagine st regis owner wouldve hired FS if jimbaran didnt exist
Old May 20, 2017, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
which include 1BRs that cost less than larger at legian and soori

some do award stay (not sure re SU4 award, unlikely beachfront)

i imagine st regis owner wouldve hired FS if jimbaran didnt exist
It could be possible to pay upsell to beachfront on an award stay, either confirmed or upon arrival.
Old May 20, 2017, 3:04 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Exactly. And special request for anything off menu is possible at any good resort. I will not stay at StR even if its breakfast is very good.
Can you elaborate on why you think StR is a big big step behind the other resorts apart from how it is in an 'unbalinese' style?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.