Reload this Page >

eleven Paris hotel site inspections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

eleven Paris hotel site inspections

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2016, 1:11 am

Thanks for this, David. Makes me want to go back!
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:44 am

Bristol vs FS

I have never stayed in any of these hotels, I only use their facilities (bar, spa, restaurants)
5 years ago I used to loved the Bristol and Four seasons was average.
Today it's almost the opposite.
I found the level of service at FS better than Bristol.
I also prefer the FS spa.
The food : I prefer Bristol / Epicure, for their willingness and abilities to go above & beyond, quality of the food and their amazing restaurant manager.
but the FS is improving as well.
Lately we had an afternoon tea at the bristol bar and the service was so so (at least not as good as usual):
- it's full ( that's fine) host say we don't know how long it'll take / no idea. (we wait only 10 mns )
- guest next to me, wanted to change table. He was kind enough to ask the waiter who replied (not in the nicest way) let me clean it first. Five minutes after still nothing. He asked another waiter who said sure and cleaned the table few minutes after.
- afternoon tea : don't eat meat, waiter looked at me and I told her something like that's never a problem here, and she said no problem I'm thinking what I can give you. I loved to see her thinking. Maybe my requirements are too high.
- and keep the worst for the last : no drawing for my daughter this time )
Maybe it was a bad day as I have never experience such "bad" experience from several bar staff
Old Sep 1, 2018, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by DavidO
Grand Hotel du Palais Royal

Palais Royale is located in the 1st arrondissement, a short distance to the northeast of the Louvre. This is a boutique property with just 68 rooms, housed in a former 18th century mansion. It is a member of Small Luxury Hotels and offers Travel Leaders Select amenities (breakfast buffet for two, bottle of Champagne in room on arrival, free WiFi).

Deluxe Room at Palais Royale

Rooms are on the small side, a fact that is reflected in the more reasonable rates. I did not see a Superior room, but Deluxe rooms range in size 25-27 square meters. These come with either a step-in shower or a bathtub (but not both), so be sure to specify your preference when reserving. Rooms have very pleasant contemporary interiors with a residential feel. I can recommend this hotel for guests desiring a more intimate property. If the location and the size of the rooms work for you, Palais Royale is a good option.
This hotel is appealing to us because of the location (and the rates do seem reasonable) but I'm a bit concerned about the size of the rooms. We are thinking of a Junior Suite, which we hope would be big enough. Did you happen to see this size room or otherwise have a view?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:39 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Couldn't see a Junior Suite as they were all occupied. Per Virtuoso.com, Jr. Suites are 345 sq ft (the size of a Superior Room) and Prestige Suites are 420 square feet (the size of a small Deluxe room).
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by DavidO
Couldn't see a Junior Suite as they were all occupied. Per Virtuoso.com, Jr. Suites are 345 sq ft (the size of a Superior Room) and Prestige Suites are 420 square feet (the size of a small Deluxe room).
That seems odd. The hotel web site lists superior at 19-20 sq mt (204-215 sq ft), deluxe at 23-25 sq mt (247-269 sq ft) and the junior suite at 32-35 sq mt (344-376 sq ft). There aren't any prestige suites available for the dates we're looking.

ETA: https://www.virtuoso.com/hotels/1559...Royal&mode=Gts appears to list the same sizes as the hotel's web site.

??
Old Sep 2, 2018, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by richarddd
That seems odd. The hotel web site lists superior at 19-20 sq mt (204-215 sq ft), deluxe at 23-25 sq mt (247-269 sq ft) and the junior suite at 32-35 sq mt (344-376 sq ft).

??
Indeed! Even if size isn´t everything I can´t believe rooms with such sizes represent real luxury.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
Indeed! Even if size isn´t everything I can´t believe rooms with such sizes represent real luxury.
Is there something in Paris near the Louvre in mid-October that's much better and larger at about $1,000/night (with breakfast)?

I was questioning a junior suite being the same size as a superior room, while also being concerned with room size. Perhaps he meant a superior room at another hotel?

The hotel gets excellent reviews, for example, 100% on virtuoso (although only a few reviewers), 5 stars on tripadvisor, listed in many reviewers best of Paris lists, not to mention DavidO's recommendation.

I sometimes think room sizes are more useful for comparing rooms within a hotel rather than between hotels. Different hotels seem to use different measurements.

Last edited by richarddd; Sep 2, 2018 at 8:00 am
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:55 am

I have stayed in Grand hotel du Palais Royal and I loved it!

The service (concierge) was really great, good recommandations of restaurants and activities

For me the room was spacious, of course by Paris standard but we never felt cramped.

We had a deluxe room which I think if one of their cheapest room (It was 2 years ago when I had a smaller budget)

The location, for me, is unbeatable as its really close the Le Louvres
​​​​​​
Next time I'm in Paris I would probably return there.
​​
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:46 am

Has anybody stayed at the new Lutetia Hotel already?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:53 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by HarryNY
I'll be spending a night in January. I had a hard hat tour ... rooms will be on the contemporary/minimalist side of things. They'll be large in comparison to other Left Bank hotels but not as large as some of the Right Bank palace hotels.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by HarryNY
Yes.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:48 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Yes.
What did you think? Your succinct response concerns me as it might indicate it wasn't all that.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
What did you think? Your succinct response concerns me as it might indicate it wasn't all that.
They should have reduced the number of rooms even further, as a Junior Suite is the size of what I would call entry-level. The full suites have yet to open (7 of them) and the third restaurant, which opens this autumn. I would wait a few months.
SanDiego1K and scented like this.

Last edited by vuittonsofstyle; Sep 10, 2018 at 6:06 am
Old Sep 7, 2018, 8:22 pm

I think in response to the question of near the Louvre and slightly less expensive I have to echo PapaNico Grand Hotel Du Palais Royal is pretty much exactly that.

Regarding hard product rooms.....one of my favorite Paris hotel stays was at the Shangri la in one of the Eiffel View Suites with terrace. The terrace has a dining table fro 4 and 2 lounge chairs with full dead on views of the tower. Pretty magical on a summer evening and for room service breakfasts. Also the pool is quite nice if you are travelling with children. The service did not quite compare to the Bristol or the Ritz but I would go back.

Ive had the pleasure of staying in the last few years at several of the hotels on this list. I would echo the renovation of the Ritz is pretty spectacular. The suite we had was perfectly done the bathroom from the swan taps to the floor to ceiling french doors, to the easy to operate music system was wonderful.

The concierge was also excellent and helped me to track down something in Paris that I could not find at home months later.

I do not love the street entrance of the Meurice, it reminds me of being near Times Square in NYC too many people hawking too many souvenirs and that detracts from the hotel for me.

Plaza Athenee: rooms are lovely, had one spectacular stay and then a second one which was not memorable, fine but not making me feel like they had any idea we had ever been there before and it was only a few months later.

Bristol the service is spectacular, but I agree with David O, I do not love the hard product of the rooms, the garden though...magnificent.

The MO does not feel terribly french to me, but I really like the location and the terrace rooms facing the courtyard are lovely. be forewarned however some of the rooms face neighboring buidings/office buildings. I would not be happy staying in one of them.

Across the river I would never go back to the Esprit St Germain. The service was weak, 5 days in to our stay they still had no idea who we were. Never felt welcomed or acknowledged at all. Housekeeping was not terrific. But I did adore the location. Part of the issue when we were there was that literally every guest in the hotel was American, it felt less french than any other hotel experience I have had in Paris over the last 10 years. I think Relais Christine is a much better bet if thats what you are looking for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.