Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

SLH Members - Share your experience

SLH Members - Share your experience

Old Nov 12, 17, 6:49 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: SLH Indulged, M&M, SPG, IHG Elite, Hyatt Member
I finally finished another long due review of an SLH property: Langdale by Amaya in Sri Lanka.

Please find it here: Langdale by Amaya - Sri Lanka (SLH)

Or read my trip report of our Sri Lanka trip on my blog: http://www.continentaltraveller.blog...lanka-in-style

It's only part one, the second part will follow with another SLH review near Galle.
Old Nov 13, 17, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA, AA
If you want to accrue benefits via stays I suggest you check on what reservation channels get creditable stays. We just were told our stay at Kokomo did not count because we booked with the hotel not on the website. No regrets because the conversation with the hotel was very helpful but if you care, check.
Old Jan 20, 18, 4:18 am
SPG Contributor Badge

As promised, better late than never, the second part of my Sri Lanka trip report - to Galle and the beach - containing a review of another SLH property: The Owl and the Pussycat Hotel.

Hotel review here on FT: Edward Lear in Sri Lanka

Complete trip report on my blog: Sri Lanka in Style - Part 2: Kandy, Galle and the Beach - Continental Traveller
Old Apr 5, 18, 5:25 am

Does anyone received the birthday gift for inspired and indulged members?
Old Apr 6, 18, 4:16 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by davidchyd View Post
Does anyone received the birthday gift for inspired and indulged members?
Yeah, I received it. And an SLH agent is currently working on combining the gift with the free night certificate I have from the Indulged membership for a two night stay. She said both vouchers are managed by two different departments and she will liaise with them. (how big is SLH??)

Oh, and the birthday gift is $300 towards an accommodation booking, but not a free night per se. If it's more than that I have to pay the rest.

What did you get?
Old Apr 12, 18, 5:50 am

Well, here's mine. Indulged member but as far as I am concerned, they could stick any kind of present right .....

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29631624-post15.html
Old Apr 12, 18, 9:11 am

Regarding Epicura's approach over her dissatisfaction with the hotel in Fes is interesting - she wrote that perfectly pitched letter to the hotel and copied it to SLH. I wonder if the other way round might produce results . . . I also wonder about publicising this sort of thing before it has been resolved.

I am at I Portici, the SLH hotel in Bologna shortly, and hope to receive the appropriate treatment. So far contact with the management over restaurant reservations etc has been encouraging.
Epicura likes this.
Old Apr 13, 18, 1:30 am

Most happy to hear that your experience with SLH is good.

Regarding my case: I donít think thereís a right approach. I already e-mailed the hotel weeks ago and asked for my bill but they didnít even bother to reply.

I get your point about sharing here before a solution was given, but please note that:
* I am lazy so just copying the e-mail in order to share my comments on the hotel was just easier.
* This property was recommended on this board and in that case I only think itís fair towards members of this board to be warned how bad this hotel is.
* Even if they would refund me the costs of our stay, that would not change my point of view. Sahrai should not be a member of SLH and should not be recommended on this board, period.

Fwiw: SLH immediately got back to me and they are investigating. That at least gives me some kind of comfort about SLH. As far as I am concerned the property did get many chances towards service recovery but they failed multiple times.
Old Apr 13, 18, 3:23 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
SLH are individual properties so experience can be very different. Glad SLH tries hard.
Old Apr 14, 18, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

in 2006, i did an SLH.com Club offer booking. according to hotel, and based on all context i believe them, SLH only sent bed type and rate to hotel the day before i arrived. based on rate, hotel gave me one of their higher suites even though suite rate was higher. (i think not just about SLH but more about indirect bookings, after that i would talk to hotel after making indirect booking.)

only management companies have any real consistency, and even then there is variation. SLH, LHW, R&C are all marketing. forum could probably use a Relais & Chateaux thread.
Old Apr 15, 18, 3:32 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Just to add a positive note: My booking of a two night stay using the two different vouchers (see above) is now done and I had a nice and personal phone call with a SLH employee to finalize it. I realized how much a (good) human interaction improves the whole experience. My previous interaction was mostly via their website or email. so SLH felt like a faceless company somewhere in London. Maybe next time I'll just call them for bookings. But that might be a different "department" (call center). The person I talked to was a "Senior VIP Reservation Executive", who might have more time for being more like a human on the phone.

Now only the hotel has to deliver
Old Apr 15, 18, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SLH and LHW have/had VIP departments
Old May 5, 18, 7:26 pm

Programs: tk gold, lh ftl, ab gold
Sorry if it's the wrong thread.. Does one have to pay taxes on a free award night?
The terms state: All food, beverages, taxes, and other incidental costs incurred by the guest are to be settled prior to departure from, and direct with, the individual hotel.
However, as i read it, it's about food and beverage taxes, not the actual stay taxes. The hotel wants to charge me a whopping 125$ taxes now.
Old May 5, 18, 10:02 pm

An underwhelming experience at I Portici in Bologna. On arrival they said we had been upgraded to a deluxe room with a view when that was the room I booked. If I were a 20-year-old student I might have accepted it. I'm not and I didn't. The room was beyond basic - not even a proper wardrobe, a soap dispenser in the shower and a tray of other amenities like hair conditioner with a price list. Water was 4 Euros.

We were upgraded again to one of their top suites. Stripped back design is the hotel's thing. It was pure white minimalism but really cheap-looking and with some mad 'design' touches. No window. No view. Just a skylight in the roof. The bar and outside terrace was closed off for a conference. We did though greatly enjoy our dinner in their Michelin-starred restaurant.

We also stayed down the road at the (LHW) Grand Hotel Majestic - seriously old school luxury with overstuffed, tiny rooms - even ours which was Grand Deluxe. Fabulous service.

If you have to be in Bologna, and we did, there aren't many options . . .

SLH failed for us yet again.

Last edited by Pausanias; May 5, 18 at 11:09 pm
Old May 6, 18, 3:28 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by igor82j View Post
Sorry if it's the wrong thread.. Does one have to pay taxes on a free award night?
The terms state: All food, beverages, taxes, and other incidental costs incurred by the guest are to be settled prior to departure from, and direct with, the individual hotel.
However, as i read it, it's about food and beverage taxes, not the actual stay taxes. The hotel wants to charge me a whopping 125$ taxes now.
If I remember correctly, I did not have to pay the taxes in Lausanne when I stayed there with the free night voucher. You should talk to SLH about it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: