Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Top Caribbean Resort for Long Weeknd: Jumby Bay vs Ritz Carlton Reserve Dorado?

Old Oct 16, 2016, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Hi all - I would appreciate your feedback on this one. My wife and I are looking to take a 3-4 night "celebration" trip in November to the Caribbean. After an extremely hard year, followed by an exciting event in our lives, we're looking for a great few days to relax and decompress. We value a great pool. great service, and we really like modern/contemporary design.

After a lot of research and reading a lot of threads on here on the top Caribbean resorts, we seem to have narrowed it down to Jumby Bay and Ritz-Carlton Reserve Dorado.

Amanyara is out due to 1 bad review my wife read which has her spooked. Jade Mountain feels a little too "exotic" for us. For reference and context, we absolutely loved Viceroy Anguilla (I know the negative views but we loved the look of the resort and the sunset lounge), Rosewood Mayakoba (incredible service), St. Regis Punta Mita etc.

I'd really be curious to hear people's opinions on these 2 resorts as well as any others you think we should consider. We're traveling from NYC btw. And price isn't really an issue on this one unless you're talking about something absolutely absurd. We just want a really great long weekend.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts. Also, may be in the market for a new Virtuoso agent so would appreciate any recommendations there as well.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:35 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
The main pool at Jumby Bay isn't amazing, but the beach is very solid and makes for a great location to relax. The proximity to airport after your direct flight from NYC means you can max time at the resort vs transfers.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: Amanjunkie
A friend of mine has been to Amanera and liked it a lot.

While I have not been to RC Reserve Dorado, I find RCs very generic and have never been impressed by neither the hard or soft product. Hope that the Reserve properties are different.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 7:49 am

I don't think there's anything modern/contemporary about Jumby Bay. The best we've found, coming from NYC, and dropping significant cash, is Hermitage Bay. Not pool boys with drinks at the pool, but really nice luxury.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 8:05 am

What about Cayo Espanto - Belize? Far from contemporary/modern but if you are into a real treat, this might fit the bill.

We decided for Cayo Espanto last summer when looking for a last minute Caribbean holiday. It was heaven (almost TBH, I still prefer Laucala anyway but that one is though to beat IME).
Old Oct 18, 2016, 8:23 am

My husband and I have been to RC Dorado Beach several times and love it. The aesthetic is similar to Rosewood Mayakoba, which we also have enjoyed, but the beach, pools and restaurants are much better at Dorado. It's also very convenient to get to - 30 mins from SJU, no immigration to deal with, etc. I look at Jumby Bay every time we book but have not tried it yet.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
We loved RC Dorado despite some horrible weather and service slip ups. It is a beautiful property---nothing at all like the giant awful big boxes RC has in the rest of the Caribbean.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. Jumby Bay looks like it has suddenly gotten way more expensive than the last time I looked (several days ago) so this may become an easy decision.

I know I said price wasn't a big factor, but there's a big difference between $1,000 to $1,200 per night and $2,500 per night.

Now just wondering if there's something other than RC Reserve Dorado that I should be considering as well.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Bravado2112
Thanks all. Jumby Bay looks like it has suddenly gotten way more expensive than the last time I looked (several days ago) so this may become an easy decision.

I know I said price wasn't a big factor, but there's a big difference between $1,000 to $1,200 per night and $2,500 per night.

Now just wondering if there's something other than RC Reserve Dorado that I should be considering as well.
Just email and ask for the lower rate - or use a TA.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: DL PM
Before I got to the part where you already stayed at Viceroy Anguilla, I was thinking that fits your criteria with the modern/contemporary. We enjoyed Jumby Bay and thought seven nights was almost a little too long (started to feel a bit stir-crazy) so a long weekend would be a nice match if the pricing shifts. However, nothing about the suite was even remotely the feel of a modern or contemporary, it felt traditional. Never spent any time at the pool, so can't speak to that experience. I'm not sure if you will be happy there though if modern/contemporary is of strong importance.

If you don't mind going back to Anguilla, have you looked at Malliouhana? We haven't stayed there overnight yet, but the pool looked beautiful and has an ocean view. Former Aman is the GM last I checked. The restaurant is what kept us from booking last year, but it should be much better with Marc Alvarez taking over. Not as modern in architecture as Viceroy/Four Seasons, but certainly more contemporary than most.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others

I would not bother with Jumby Bay personally - and the beach isn't even natural.

Why not FS Nevis ?
Old Oct 21, 2016, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Ritz-Carlton Dorado Beach, by far....
Old Oct 22, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
Originally Posted by umbrella007
nothing about the suite was even remotely the feel of a modern or contemporary, it felt traditional.
We stayed in a Pool Suite (photos)and although there are traditional elements that lend a Caribbean feel, it was certainly contemporary.

Originally Posted by grumbler
I would not bother with Jumby Bay personally - and the beach isn't even natural.

Why not FS Nevis ?
If the beach at Jumby isn't natural, it was such a good fake that I never noticed. However, the beach at FS Nevis was definitely built using dark volcanic sand after the last major hurricane. Based on my experience, there is really nothing there that is a match to the OP's request.

RC Dorado definitively ticks the modern design box and the food is edgier than at Jumby. My stay reminded me decor-wise of Rosewood Mayakoba, and in that sense it feels a little "anywhere". Jumby is a special place befitting of a special trip and you can't beat a private island, but the dining while good, isn't what is memorable about the place.

It's a great dilemma
Old Oct 28, 2016, 8:19 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by GK1998
A friend of mine has been to Amanera and liked it a lot.

While I have not been to RC Reserve Dorado, I find RCs very generic and have never been impressed by neither the hard or soft product. Hope that the Reserve properties are different.

I was at Amanera in July and really loved it! Service isn't as polished as Asian Aman properties but it is still sooo much better than others in the Caribbean.

Here's my quick review with photos: http://www.besvisor.com/test/
Old Oct 28, 2016, 8:25 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.

Amanera is great and continue to get better...my clients have loved it and i did as well on my visit.

The Octopus Ceviche was the best octopus I've had in some time...even comp to my meals in Tokyo.

Cheval Blanc St. Barth is also worth considering.

Viceroy Anguilla just reopened as Four Seasons but it seems you've already been.

Last edited by BESVISOR; Oct 28, 2016 at 8:57 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.