Wiki Posts
Search

FIFA slums it ... at the Park Hyatt Zurich

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2016, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
FIFA slums it ... at the Park Hyatt Zurich

This is just *horrible*. For the annual meetings, FIFA moved its officials from Baur Au Lac to the Park Hyatt: FIFA shows red card to hotel where police arrested officials

I've been to the Baur Au Lac, but not the PH. Is the Park Hyatt THAT much of a step-down?
Old Oct 6, 2016, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Baur au Lac is much nicer. Park Hyatt is very nice, but the Baur au Lac is the nicest/smartest hotel in Zurich. The PH is just not that special; it could be a PH almost anywhere. (Full disclosure: I spend a lot of time at the PH Zurich)
Old Oct 6, 2016, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
I've been to the Baur Au Lac, but not the PH. Is the Park Hyatt THAT much of a step-down?
I'd descrie the two hotels as "luxury / upper-end 5* hotel" (arguably best hotel in the city) and "solid 5* hotel" respectively.

Describing it as a major step-down and a "message how FIFA has changed" just shows how out-of-touch many FIFA officials are.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Hmmm. Now that I look at it, they could have moved to the Sheraton and really saved some money. I must say that these FIFA people go to great lengths to justify the critcism.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Always thought the Dolder Grand is the benchmark....
Old Oct 6, 2016, 3:34 pm

PH Zurich is one of the most successful Hyatt properties worldwide. Strong MICE performance. Not surprised. Not sure why FIFA would want to move up the hill.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 3:53 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
The Park Hyatt Zurich is a beautiful luxury hotel, near to the lake and we enjoyed our stay there and would stay again in our future with them, beside wanting to hopefully try some others too. Btw. Zurich is a beautiful and very enjoyable city to visit.

Originally Posted by Jasper2009

Describing it as a major step-down and a "message how FIFA has changed" just shows how out-of-touch many FIFA officials are.
Ditto +1

Originally Posted by offerendum
Always thought the Dolder Grand is the benchmark....
For some it is...it's personal, I guess.

Originally Posted by scented
PH Zurich is one of the most successful Hyatt properties worldwide. Strong MICE performance. Not surprised. Not sure why FIFA would want to move up the hill.
That's why they move up the hill...

FIFA’s new secretary general, Fatma Samoura, decided on the new arrangements as part of a review of the organization’s business, said the people, who asked not to be identified because it’s an internal matter. Staying at the [Park] Hyatt, which like the Baur au Lac is a five-star hotel, will save the organization tens of thousands of dollars, they said.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-were-arrested

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^

Last edited by uggboy; Oct 6, 2016 at 7:38 pm
Old Oct 7, 2016, 5:06 am

I think it is very amusing that the article you quote, Uggboy, compares Baur au Lac with Park Hyatt, just because they are both classified as 5-star - such different experiences and quality. PH is a fine business hotel, but Baur au Lac is a real urban resort, with very high standards, especially since it finished its refurbishment.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I think it is very amusing that the article you quote, Uggboy, compares Baur au Lac with Park Hyatt, just because they are both classified as 5-star - such different experiences and quality. PH is a fine business hotel, but Baur au Lac is a real urban resort, with very high standards, especially since it finished its refurbishment.
In regards to the above article by Bloomberg, it was in context that FIFA has moved their venue from one five star hotel to a different five star hotel and saving "big" amounts of money by doing so. This wasn't an attempt to explain why these hotels are "the same high standard", it was more about why FIFA eventually settled on the Park Hyatt as their "new hotel" in Zurich.

While we haven't stayed at the Baur au Lac so far, we have stayed at the Park Hyatt Zurich and it is a beautiful hotel, modern design, large understated rooms, gorgeous location and memorable food/beverage offerings, plus good service.

That's what we remember and of course we would try the Baur au Lac hopefully in our future too, beside some other hotels in beautiful Zurich.

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Oct 7, 2016, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
The Baur au Lac should certainly reminds bad souvenirs to FIFA management team, after nine of its executives were arrested in two separate incidents...
Old Oct 7, 2016, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by nicolas75
The Baur au Lac should certainly reminds bad souvenirs to FIFA management team, after nine of its executives were arrested in two separate incidents...
See also >>>

“The Baur au Lac is a very nice hotel to stay in, but it will not have good memories for everybody, of course,” D’Hooghe said.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-were-arrested

I guess that's why FIFA moved on from the Baur au Lac to the Park Hyatt Zurich, they want to forget and "restart".

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Oct 7, 2016, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by uggboy
For some it is...it's personal, I guess.
Itīs mostly personal....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.