Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Gainsborough, Bath review

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:32 am
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I also did not realise that it was mandatory to thank every person that does write trip reports.
Not mandatory, just common courtesy (especially when you are commenting on that trip report), don't you think?

I found MacMyDay's report to concur with most of the newspaper reviews I have read on The Gainsborough, and I found these puzzling, too, as my own experience of the hotel disappointed, as I was expecting a leisure hotel, but found the design and service ethic to be more in tune with a business hotel, ŕ la Marriott (the owners, YTL, own several Marriotts in Australia and the lighting design at the Gainsborough is much the same).
THANK YOU! This is the kind of commentary we would appreciate from you, not just the unexplained and vague comment you made in the first place.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 10:44 am
Banyan Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by xracer
Not mandatory, just common courtesy (especially when you are commenting on that trip report), don't you think?
Good call. Ditto +1

Originally Posted by offerendum
I didn´t found the comment offensive. I´m often surprised why people like particular hotels, but it may be the same with my reviews. Sometimes tastes are different.
That's good IMHO, reading/learning about a diverse number of hotels broadens our horizons and I personally would find it somewhat strange when all FT Luxury Hotel Forum posters would prefer the same hotels all over. We appreciate the difference and look forward to read more contributions here on FT and of course we hope to contribute from time to time by ourselves too.

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^

Last edited by uggboy; Oct 4, 2016 at 10:55 am
Old Oct 5, 2016, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
I didn´t found the comment offensive. I´m often surprised why people like particular hotels, but it may be the same with my reviews. Sometimes tastes are different.
Thank you, Offerendum - I did not intend to be offensive at all! No idea why some in this Forum think I was.
newfrequent likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 3:11 pm

Thank you, Offerendum - I did not intend to be offensive at all! No idea why some in this Forum think I was.
I think it's a unique " feature" of the flyertalk luxury forum to be able to distinguish the good from the almost good and especially so when in this case the apparently good hotel has all the hallmarks of a Marriott then it should be called out as such .

In doing so , even though it may have , contrasted with another view , it's important to highlight it and should be in bold too !

It's this in depth and particular knowledge that makes this forum special , for me at least .

Vuittons , good stuff indeed for calling it as you see it @:-) ^
Old Oct 6, 2016, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by bearbrick
I think it's a unique " feature" of the flyertalk luxury forum to be able to distinguish the good from the almost good and especially so when in this case the apparently good hotel has all the hallmarks of a Marriott then it should be called out as such .

In doing so , even though it may have , contrasted with another view , it's important to highlight it and should be in bold too !

It's this in depth and particular knowledge that makes this forum special , for me at least .

Vuittons , good stuff indeed for calling it as you see it @:-) ^
Much appreciated, bearbrick !
Old Oct 6, 2016, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

seems the point was missed. while decisions are up to moderators, there might be 'best practices' re 'replying' to trip report threads. not the easiest [issue], especially when some threads are not an individual 'trip report' thread. as in, this thread is an individual trip report, rather than report in another/existing thread.

one can always ask questions to clarify.

edit - Gainsborough owner/manager YTL was an original partner in chedi phuket. they had a villa with access to trisara. their muse brand includes 14 room st tropez property. they also own historical properties/train in asia.
ytlhotels.com/classic-hotels/the-majestic-hotel-kuala-lumpur.html
ytlhotels.com/luxury-escapes/eastern-and-oriental-express.html

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 12, 2016 at 12:09 pm
Old Oct 6, 2016, 9:36 am
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
seems the point was missed. while decisions are up to moderators, there might be 'best practices' re 'replying' to trip report threads. not the easiest question, especially when some threads are not an individual 'trip report' thread. as in, this thread is an individual trip report, rather than report in another/existing thread.

one can always ask questions to clarify.
Yes, exactly this. I am reticent to comment further on this because I know it's off topic, but I think there are some important points to be made here...

Clearly no one was offended by any comments.

I think if you are going to comment on trip report, it's nice to thank the OP for taking the time to write it. Trip reports take a lot of time an effort, and I don't think it's time wasted to spend the extra 15 seconds to write a thank you sentence if you are already commenting on other things.

If you are presenting an opposing opinion in a trip report, at least write a brief explanation as to why you think differently, in terms that everyone can understand. Differing opinions with explanation promote further discussion. Differing opinions without explanation promote resentment. Please don't think you are too special or respected here to not have to explain your opinions.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:36 am
Original Poster

On the note of the spa entry times, I was talking to Raffles about this as he too was restricted, but I was not when staying there. I contacted the hotel and they said:

Our complimentary bathing hours have always been 7am-9am and 8pm-10pm for all hotel residents. To access the facilities outside of the restricted times a spa treatment must be booked per person or a day pass purchased at Ł70.00 per person.

Some of our room types- Bath Spa Room, Bath Spa Suite and Feature Suites come with unrestricted access to the Spa Village.
So I still have no idea why I had no restrictions in place during my stay, but the spa was still mostly empty the entire time even when I assume almost everyone else had access too. Charging Ł70 per person to visit the spa area is awfully mean though when you're already a paying hotel guest; it would make me reconsider staying. I can only remember one other hotel doing this and it too left a bitter taste: MO Tokyo. At Ł150 for 60 minutes you are right at how expensive that is - that's Ł20 more than The Bulgari and Ł10 more than The Connaught, both of which are in the most expensive areas in the country with much higher wages.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 8:42 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
And don't forget Lucknam Park is just a few minutes drive away from Bath. We enjoyed our stay there (Juliet Suite, horseback riding, shooting).
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Ericka
And don't forget Lucknam Park is just a few minutes drive away from Bath. We enjoyed our stay there (Juliet Suite, horseback riding, shooting).
Seems to be the much better choice regarding hotel. 150 GBP is sportive.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 9:19 am

Thank you for the very detailed (and quite witty) TR.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We will be staying at the Gainsborough as part of an Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts stay. Unfortunately, since we didn't book direct, the hotel states we will not receive the 20% discount that guests who book direct will receive. (They also receive 1 60 minute massage.) That would have made the cost of a massage more in line with London.

I've been emailing with the GM and he has been cc'ing other departments so I find it strange that even though our stay is coming up in a week that the concierge has not reached out to us.

Has anyone tried the Thermae Bath Spa across the street? They have a weekday package of 198 GBP for two massages and 4 hours use of their spa. This seems more reasonable but some of the sections of the spa are closed for remodeling unfortunately.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Just stayed at the Gainsborough for 1 night a few nights back. It was a same day booking as our plans had changed. We booked through the Amex plat desk and got the same Amex offer.

Without Amex offer and booked direct
270 pounds room, deluxe room
free massage for 1
bottle of champagne
20% off spa
access to the Roman spa two hours in the early morning and two hours at night. Or anytime if you pay for a spa.

the offer we took through Amex plat desk:
270 pounds room. Upgraded through offer to a larger corner room.
dinner for 2. Unlike the review description above, it looks like we had a choice from the entire menu but capped to two courses per person. Our bill came to over 100 pounds but was not charged. Service charge was 0% but we left a tip.
hot breakfast for two. Continental was buffet style and the hot breakfast from menu and booked to order. It was all very good. Value: 30 pounds per person.
same access to spa as non Amex: we found that 8pm it was empty but by 9pm it is very busy- go early.

we looked across the road from our hotel and saw the thermae spa was also packed. we recommend you go at a off peak time for a relaxing experience.

we had no regrets taking the Amex offer vs the hotel offer.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 3:36 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
I'm thinking of staying for a night during August, maybe that's a very bad time as it's too busy?
Old Jul 13, 2019, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by GodAtum
I'm thinking of staying for a night during August, maybe that's a very bad time as it's too busy?
I stayed in Bath two weeks ago - at the Queensberry Hotel. I know Bath very well and it's busy for most of the year, definitely peaking in July-August. But the tourist hordes stick mainly to the principal sights - the area around Pulteney Bridge, the Abbey, Pump Room and Royal Crescent. For some reason I couldn't figure out, every tourist I saw seemed to be Chinese, maybe Taiwanese. There is a simply stunning Waitrose in the centre.

To take some nice photos I got up at 6am and wandered around - hardly anyone about then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.