FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Trump Washington DC soft opening (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1793891-trump-washington-dc-soft-opening.html)

stimpy Sep 30, 2016 10:33 am

Trump Washington DC soft opening

I got an email from Trump hotels and like it or not, Donald Trump is moving in to Pennsylvania avenue in D.C.

https://www.trumphotels.com/washington-dc/

We're proud to announce the soft opening of Trump International Hotel Washington, D.C.

In honor of this, we would like to offer you a complimentary one-category upgrade through executive junior suites*.

Experience Forbes Travel Guide "Most Anticipated Hotel Openings of 2016" and book today.

Politics aside, it looks like it will be a great hotel with an excellent location.

Musken Sep 30, 2016 11:14 am

No matter what - a place where I will never stay. Enough said.

wripro Sep 30, 2016 11:15 am

You're not alone. But those who choose to stay there might be!

Kagehitokiri Sep 30, 2016 11:27 am

few trump hotels are owned by trump, DC is

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 27284782)
Politics aside, it looks like it will be a great hotel with an excellent location.

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 27285270)
This looks like a beautiful and historic American hotel and I look forward to trying it out someday.

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 27285248)
On one hand beautiful building, on the other hand very special style. Would be interesting how many people would choose it as it belongs to MO, FS or another brand and is owned by some "normal" investor.

228 rooms and 35 suites

DC doesnt have huge luxury hotel supply, and clearly theres lots of business and leisure in DC
most luxury in georgetown/west end and MO's area, only hay adams and jefferson 'historical'

callmedtop Sep 30, 2016 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Musken (Post 27284946)

+1

Five Star Traveller Sep 30, 2016 12:13 pm

Echo all the other posters. Regardless of Trump-owned or not, his brand is toxic to me.

offerendum Sep 30, 2016 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Five Star Traveller (Post 27285162)
Echo all the other posters. Regardless of Trump-owned or not, his brand is toxic to me.

Agree. But beside this Iīm not really sure how I like it. On one hand beautiful building, on the other hand very special style. Would be interesting how many people would choose it as it belongs to MO, FS or another brand and is owned by some "normal" investor.

stimpy Sep 30, 2016 12:41 pm

Yeah I don't give a darn about pointless populist politics. I like to stay in nice hotels. And I don't need to try and prove to other people that I'm a hero because I stand against one candidate or another. Some people are far too caught up in this nonsense. This looks like a beautiful and historic American hotel and I look forward to trying it out someday. It doesn't matter whose name is on the door.

offerendum Sep 30, 2016 12:56 pm

historic American hotel

Itīs not a historic American hotel. Itīs an old post office.

MikeFromTokyo Sep 30, 2016 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Musken (Post 27284946)

^

I will stick with Hay-Adams and Four Seasons.

Completely apart from his absurd presidential run, I have never liked any of his hotels at all. They are proof that he has no taste whatsoever.

stimpy Sep 30, 2016 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 27285329)
Itīs not a historic American hotel. Itīs an old post office.

You are right. An historic old American building.

And I've only tried one other Trump, in Doral, and thought it was excellent. Surprisingly good. However I don't know what the other properties are like.

GUWonder Oct 1, 2016 2:29 am

Yeah I don't give a darn about pointless populist politics. I like to stay in nice hotels. And I don't need to try and prove to other people that I'm a hero because I stand against one candidate or another. Some people are far too caught up in this nonsense. This looks like a beautiful and historic American hotel and I look forward to trying it out someday. It doesn't matter whose name is on the door.

There really is nothing historic about the hotel itself. The building itself is historical as the Old Post Office building, but it's been a not-so-special retail center of sorts for far longer than it has been a hotel. It will be many years before the building will end up being a hotel for longer than it's been a place to do some not-so-special shopping.

I would mostly go there for the views of the city, but that was when it was a shopping center more than anything else.

offerendum Oct 1, 2016 2:34 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 27287114)

And I've only tried one other Trump, in Doral, and thought it was excellent. Surprisingly good. However I don't know what the other properties are like.

Trump NYC Int for example has some fans at this forum even if I would never stay because of the bathrooms.

RichardInSF Oct 1, 2016 2:44 am

It's really easy to veer into politics on this one, even I am tempted. I view a simple statement saying, "I won't stay here" as OK and so far I judge the responses as just about hitting the line but not yet obviously over it. If everyone can avoid taking the next step, we mods won't have to step in.

RichardInSF, moderator luxury hotels

Kagehitokiri Oct 1, 2016 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 27287412)
Trump NYC Int for example has some fans at this forum even if I would never stay because of the bathrooms.

one of few actually consistent here for new york (along with lowell and now mark)

it is odd NY developer (not trump) did not do better bathrooms even in 2BRs, but i guess they were focused on the tower residences (not in hotel inventory) - i wonder if any units on hotel floors were redone by unit owner, and rented privately.

chicago also opened (jan 2008) with great hard product, the best corner suites fairly dramatic