Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

What's good in Kuala Lumpur these days?

What's good in Kuala Lumpur these days?

Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:38 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by applejax
@FlyerEC I can't speak for the suites at the MO but I've stayed in their "Deluxe room" a few years back and I found the rooms to be quite dated. The beds were uncomfortable and the carpet and the bathroom seemed to be quite old. However I will agree that the MO has top notch service and their common areas were beautiful!
MOKL has renovated their rooms , etcetera , not long ago . Think they had just completed them before we stayed last year .
IndyHoosier and applejax like this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist , Bonvoy Titanium United Silver AA Platinum, AS Gold 75K
Great news! I'm going to have to give them another go next time I'm in KL. They really have a lot of great qualities so I'm glad to hear they've updated the rooms.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
We're looking for a luxury hotel in KL for a one-night stay in April.
We've stayed at the St. Regis twice before and they have issues with housekeeping (friend also stayed there and he also had issues). They just don't clean properly.
But then again, they have amazing upgrades at the St. Regis (I'm Titanium Elite) and I don't mind the location.

But we're also open for trying something new. Sadly the Four Seasons isn't part of Virtuoso or Amex FHR, so suites are expensive.
How's the Mandarin Oriental compared to the St. Regis? It looked a bit less "airy" with all these carpets, even in the renovated rooms?
I also went to the Grand Hyatt once to check out the view and that hotel seemd super dated.

Or what about the Ritz Carlton? Looked quite nice as well? But probably stingy with upgrades?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
But we're also open for trying something new. Sadly the Four Seasons isn't part of Virtuoso or Amex FHR, so suites are expensive.
How's the Mandarin Oriental compared to the St. Regis? It looked a bit less "airy" with all these carpets, even in the renovated rooms?
I also went to the Grand Hyatt once to check out the view and that hotel seemd super dated.

Or what about the Ritz Carlton? Looked quite nice as well? But probably stingy with upgrades?
Four Seasons Preferred Partner is the answer to the first question.

Ritz-Carlton is an older hotel, but very well regarded and provides good value.

I am surprised re StR. I know the manager and hear great things about it. It will be my choice for KUL.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Do they offer nice upgrades through FSPP? Or is it just a single upgrade?

The St. Regis really has issues with cleanliness.
First stay: White stains on the bedspread (didn't take a lot of imaginaion what they were from - ugh!). They were apologetic and offered a free dinner, but I didn't have time for that. I think I didn't even request points. Just had them exchange the bedspread, which they did promptly.
Second stay: Lots of stains from glasses on surfaces, dust, breadcrumbs. They duty manager said they'd deep-clean the suite while I was gone. When I came back, it wasn't much better. They claimed they had tried to remove the stains, but that it wasn't possible. Well, then you better replace the side table. What a strange answer. The dust also wasn't gone.
Upgraded to a John Jacob Astor Suite as compensation (which really was too large if such a thing exists) - no hot water. Had to call for them to turn it on, which took 5-10 minutes. Same issue the following morning. Spoke to the Director of Rooms when we checked out and also mentioned our issues during our first stay. So they really can't claim they don't know about these problems.

When a friend stayed a few weeks later, he found a hair in his shower and I believe there were some other things that weren't cleaned well, too.
It really is a shame because the hardware and the views from the suites (all suites are corner suites, as far as I know) are phenomenal.

I'm leaning towards staying there again despite these issues, but it's really such a shame. It's such a stunning hotel.
The only other slight negative about the hotel is that the breakfast restaurant is quite small. I couldn't exactly pinpoint anything I was missing from the breakfast buffet, but the buffet is a fraction of what the Le Meridien offers, for example.
The room itself is also rather small. But that's really a minor detail. I hope they can fix the cleanliness issues.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:10 pm

nice infor
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
We're looking for a luxury hotel in KL for a one-night stay in April.
We've stayed at the St. Regis twice before and they have issues with housekeeping (friend also stayed there and he also had issues). They just don't clean properly.
But then again, they have amazing upgrades at the St. Regis (I'm Titanium Elite) and I don't mind the location.

I last stayed at the FS in February and it was part of Amex FHR. A spa credit of USD$100 from memory.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Had a nice stay at the RC in 2018, IIRC they don't participate in Bonvoy, but I emailed the property in advance and they agreed to a courtesy upgrade due to my Bonvoy (I guess it was Marriott/RC status then) plat status.
Old May 8, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Wow, was looking to stay at a suite at the FSKL for a trip next year and the suite prices just shot up for all of the weekends I was looking at. Seems like the (cheaper) MOKL is a no brainer now, less risky given some of the FSKL general and suite issues upthread.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Headed back to KL in '20, is the FS the clearcut top dog now? I enjoyed my RC stay but i'm not against trying to FS or MO.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 9:44 am

Any reports on the RuMa?
Old Dec 16, 2019, 6:41 am
Suspended

Went with MO for our stop in May, we'll see! I forget the reasoning now, but I think between MO and FS, the MO had better views of the towers.
FlyerEC and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Went with MO for our stop in May, we'll see! I forget the reasoning now, but I think between MO and FS, the MO had better views of the towers.
I had a great stay at the MO back in April. Good location and an amazing breakfast buffet!
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 3:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Mandarin Oriental

Stay Report - 12/29 - 12/30

Location: Very well located right next to KLCC Park and the very upscale Suria KLCC Mall. It's also close to the KLCC Station on the KJC Line which takes you to KL Sentral for the Airport Train. It's about 45-50 minutes to KUL if you drive it.

Hotel: This is my first ever MO so I had high expectations but not based on any previous experiences. There's a very nice lobby with a two story restaurant which houses the daily breakfast buffet and also a dessert bar and macaron shop. The pool is quite large and it is on a terrace on I believe the 7th floor. Elevator access is key card only which I l like

Check In: Very friendly and helpful agents (every employee I met was very nice and helpful in fact). I was on a FHR Deal and got a sleep mask as a welcome gift, $100 spa credit (which I didn't use), breakfast and a 4 PM check out. When I gave them my Fans of MO number I got a box with chocolate bark inside. There was also a little welcome gift of tea waiting in the room for me.

Room: I had a deluxe room on the 19th floor. It had a large bed with outlets next to it, a large desk with outlets and USB plugs and a really nice bathroom. I liked the toiletries too. There were no noise issues and the Wifi worked very well. I had the hotel do some laundry and it was picked up extremely fast and delivered back early too.

Breakfast: One of the best hotel breakfast buffets I've been to. They had plenty of eastern and western options with an omelet/egg bar, French toast and pancake bar (the best part) and service was excellent too.

I really liked this hotel and would gladly come back.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Thanks for this nice update CMK10 ! I thought the MO had been redone in the past few years but those rooms, particularly the bathrooms do not look refurbished or particularly nice compared to FS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.