Wiki Posts
Search

What's good in Kuala Lumpur these days?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:14 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JeremyZ
Just checked out of the Four Seasons and found it pretty wonderful. I’ll definitely be back.
I thought that the rooftop pool was nice, as were the bar and room. However, the food (in the buffet restaurant) left something to be desired. What did you think about the eats?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I thought that the rooftop pool was nice, as were the bar and room. However, the food (in the buffet restaurant) left something to be desired. What did you think about the eats?
I only ate in what I think they call the lounge, on the other side of the lobby. Food and drink was very decent, although not super memorable. The buffet seemed sketchy - from your experience, sounds like it’s not their best work. Agree with your impressions overall, btw, and thought that the staff was very pleasant. Maybe a bit friendly and informal for some, but they matched my vibe well.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist , Bonvoy Titanium United Silver AA Platinum, AS Gold 75K
I thought I would comment on my recent KL trip and the hotels I stayed at 2018 / 2019 :

Intercontinental w/ Spire Ambassador:
Had a beautiful lobby, was walking distance to a alright shopping center, Restaurant (Breakfast) Staff were pretty attentive, The food options were good.

JW Marriott w/ PP/Titanium:
Really attentive staff, Very nice remodeled rooms, Lots of shopping and restraunts close by, Lounge has fairly nice spread for evening cocktails, Rooms well appointed, Management is mostly excellent (I'll explain in the cons why I specify "mostly")

Majestic Hotel w/ PP/Titanium
Beautiful historic property, Exquisite Orchid Conservatory thats really one of a kind, I was upgraded to the best available 1 bedroom suite without asking on check in, Extremely attentive staff, Well appointed room, Very clean, Wonderful "call to prayer music" that can be heard from the hotel from the Mosque next door.

Grand Hyatt w/ Globalist
Really great lounge, Excellent Breakfast options, Beautiful view of Pretorians Towers, Nice pool area, Really great staff (Typical Hyatt great service) Rooms were well appointed.

Last edited by applejax; Aug 11, 2021 at 8:47 pm Reason: spelling corrections
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by applejax
I thought I would comment on my recent KL trip and the hotels I stayed at 2018 / 2019 :

Intercontinental w/ Spire Ambassador:
PROS: Had a beautiful lobby, was walking distance to a alright shopping center, Restaurant (Breakfast) Staff were pretty attentive, The food options were good.
CONS: Room seemed basic, they claimed to have given us a upgrade but I doubt it, I felt the rooms to be dated, I asked for a mattress topper to be brought up to the room because the bed was rock hard and housekeeping brought up a thin mattress pad with mensural blood stains on it. When I caught him trying to sneak this disgusting thing on my bed and photographed it he claimed he was "NEW MAN, NEW MAN!!!" as he begged and pleaded to take the bloody thing away still SMH!
~ I would probably never stay at this property again, especially with so many better options in KL ~

JW Marriott w/ PP/Titanium:
PROS: Really attentive staff, Very nice remodeled rooms, Lots of shopping and restraunts close by, Lounge has fairly nice spread for evening cocktails, Rooms well appointed, Management is mostly excellent (I'll explain in the cons why I specify "mostly")
CONS: Room upgrade wasn't offered upon check in but I did ask and it was given a JR. Suite so not too sure if this is really a con, Seems they got a new GM recently while having breakfast in shook (LG level) I saw him stroll down the escalator walk up to the hummus and other dips area and start sticking his fingers in the food and licking it off (yes he did sample several dips with the same finger as I watched on in shock) I asked one of the employees what the heck he was doing?!? They laughed uncomfortably and explained he was "testing" the quality of the food. And yes people were still eating, and no they didn't change it out with new food. IDK where they got this guy but he is obviously not trained in food services and should keep his dirty paws out of the food.
~ JW is one of my favorite hotels here in KL, I would stay here again for sure but I hope this new GM is temporary ~

Majestic Hotel w/ PP/Titanium
PROS:
Beautiful historic property, Exquisite Orchid Conservatory thats really one of a kind, I was upgraded to the best available 1 bedroom suite without asking on check in, Extremely attentive staff, Well appointed room, Very clean, Wonderful "call to prayer music" that can be heard from the hotel from the Mosque next door.
CONS: The hotel isn't really close proximity to any shopping so they have a shuttle service to take you to the gardens mall and Bukit Bintang (Its great option to make up the difference)
~ I checked into this hotel for 4 nights and ended up staying 3 weeks so that says it all right? ~

Grand Hyatt w/ Globalist
PROS: Really great lounge, Excellent Breakfast options, Beautiful view of Pretorians Towers, Nice pool area, Really great staff (Typical Hyatt great service) Rooms were well appointed.
CONS: They have been playing games with their upgrades, leaving Grand Suites off inventory purposely only having Grand suites w/ views (considered speciality suite) available to avoid giving Suite upgrade awards, They also try to avoid giving you suites upon check in unless you prove to them that they have it available. I really hate this and its a huge knock against them IMO, It's usually one of the most expensive properties to book in KL under FS and SR and the rooms are in need of updating as I've had several issues with things not working properly or at all.
~ Verdict is out on if I will stay again, maybe its time for them to be downgraded in category or they need to build a Park Hyatt ~
You'll get your wish for a PH in 2021 I believe. Absolutely disgusting behavior by the JW Marriott GM.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist , Bonvoy Titanium United Silver AA Platinum, AS Gold 75K
@Aventine, I'm stoked about PH in KL! I really love the Hyatt brand so I'm very excited to see a Hyatt is building a top luxury hotel in the KL market.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:08 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Visiting KUL in June for my honeymoon and evaluating my options. Newly-minted wife doesn't travel much, and I want to knock her socks off.

My top priority is "wow" factor -- e.g., a luxurious room with great views that screams 5 star, no questions.

Stuff like restaurant, lounge, and whether there's a free breakfast buffet don't matter much. We'll be exploring a lot of the time, and new-wife won't have expectations around that sort of thing like many FT'ers do.

Based on this thread and other research, Grand Hyatt seems like the best option. Anyone with more specific recommendation? Appreciate all the posts thus far!
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by _fx
Visiting KUL in June for my honeymoon and evaluating my options. Newly-minted wife doesn't travel much, and I want to knock her socks off.

My top priority is "wow" factor -- e.g., a luxurious room with great views that screams 5 star, no questions.

Stuff like restaurant, lounge, and whether there's a free breakfast buffet don't matter much. We'll be exploring a lot of the time, and new-wife won't have expectations around that sort of thing like many FT'ers do.

Based on this thread and other research, Grand Hyatt seems like the best option. Anyone with more specific recommendation? Appreciate all the posts thus far!
Best to pay for a Grand Executive suite with tower view or do a Hyatt prive booking with full breakfast and confirmed upgrade, etc. That hotel is one of the nicer Grand Hyatts in the world with views to match. I'm sure she'll love it and you'll have created a luxe monster.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:32 am

@_fx
Honestly I love everything Hyatt and I've stayed at the Grand Hyatt KL myself on several occasions in a few different suites but I don't think its what you are looking for. I would recommend St Regis. The hotel itself is luxury all the way. If you get a 1 bedroom suite the room comes with a private massage room, butter service and the finishings and views are exquisite! The only downfall to this hotel is the location but being that you are on your honeymoon I'm sure the room will be the most important place where you will spend most of your time. The Grand Hyatt although having top notch service falls very short on luxury as well as it is quite dated however the location is very walkable. I honestly think you should book at the St. Regis and get a private car to take you on outings to KLCC or wherever you want to explore. I would recommend calling and asking about what they can provide you in terms of transportation for your honeymoon. Trust me on this St. Regis will make a real statement.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by _fx

Screaming 5 stars in KUala Lumpur with a killer view would have to be in a higher category or suite at the Four Seasons . It’s intimate enough but with shopping downstairs and nearby you won’t feel like you’re stranded in the middle of nowhere like the St Regis location. The W within walking distance of the 4seasons would be perfect for drinks at the pool bar and great views but the rooms and indeed the hotel ie W unfortunately is not for me aesthetically.

Do update.

applejax likes this.

Last edited by bearbrick; Feb 28, 2019 at 11:00 am
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:14 pm

@bearbrick I haven't stayed at this property but I agree with you on the location of the St Regis. However the Majestic (across the street) has a shuttle that takes you to Gardens Mall, Bukit Bintang and the Train Station. I wonder if SR has something similar now? If not they should be able to accommodate people with private car transportation. Everyone in KL knows how terrible the taxis are and the SR location is a horrible disadvantage. I am going to have to stay at the Four Seasons next time I'm in town.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by applejax
@bearbrick I haven't stayed at this property but I agree with you on the location of the St Regis. However the Majestic (across the street) has a shuttle that takes you to Gardens Mall, Bukit Bintang and the Train Station. I wonder if SR has something similar now? If not they should be able to accommodate people with private car transportation. Everyone in KL knows how terrible the taxis are and the SR location is a horrible disadvantage. I am going to have to stay at the Four Seasons next time I'm in town.
The SR and majestic is in a secondary location really so it’s probsbly better to be based in the centre and travel out instead . I have been staying in the Bukit Bintang area of late and getting great value at so called 3* properties but at their highest category which can be a good quality junior suite / executive even? Excellent value with good service ( I am not a service needy guest though )

fourseasons is is very good value now but I still prefer the BB area .
@applejax do post photos of views from room
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by bearbrick
fourseasons is is very good value now but I still prefer the BB area .
@applejax do post photos of views from room
I just realized I had only taken 2 of the views. I know its not really a "city view" of Protons towers but I felt like I was in a luxury majestic rainforest.

Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:53 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Thanks all for the advice! Very much appreciated. Going to do a bit more research. While that bathtub looks incredible, I am a bit nervous about being isolated. We like action. Although, looking at a map, I'd have never known the SR was int he middle of nowhere...thus, my need to do more research.
applejax likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Will continue at MOKL , which is our preferred hotel in KL . Best in a park view suite . See Petronas too from Club Level . However , in June , the conference hotel is just out of central KL in Bangsar . Will have to stay at this designated “ 5 star “ hotel during the 3 nights duration .
We will switch back to MOKL after .
Not good reports from vienna resident ‘ s stay in FS . Will go by & see how it has improved since November .
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:28 am

@FlyerEC I can't speak for the suites at the MO but I've stayed in their "Deluxe room" a few years back and I found the rooms to be quite dated. The beds were uncomfortable and the carpet and the bathroom seemed to be quite old. However I will agree that the MO has top notch service and their common areas were beautiful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.