Reload this Page >

Switzerland Luxury Hotels

Switzerland Luxury Hotels

Old Apr 21, 2019, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some

Originally Posted by sophialite
My only irritation is the number of prostitutes I see everywhere.
Shocking! Never mentioned one when in Switzerland
Old Apr 21, 2019, 6:41 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by price123

In general, I would not expect any resorts in Switzerland to have air-con, as there are laws around this (rules depend on the canton). As far as I know, anywhere in the mountains is forbidden from having A/C but you can open the windows and enjoy the fresh air!
You just educated me! Last May we were totally comfortable (and my husband especially must sleep in a cool room) with open windows and fresh, cool mountain air.

I thought it was strange there was no AC but for some reason never considered that it was mandated.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:50 pm

Hello - I'm looking for luxury hotel recommendations within around 1 hour train of Zurich HB, but not in Zurich (eg not Dolder, Baur au Lac, Atlantis). I'd like to go between late May-July for a weekend, Friday-Sunday. Looking for something that is more on the smaller unique boutique side, definitely not rammed (eg with a massive wedding party etc). This would be for two people staying at the property for the entire time so there ideally should have options for wellness/spa/restaurants.

I'm looking for something for the best bang-for-the-buck. Reviewed this thread and looks like some options are Waldhotel and Park Weggis. Any other properties you'd recommend?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:43 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Originally Posted by MitzEclipse
Reviewed this thread and looks like some options are Waldhotel and Park Weggis. Any other properties you'd recommend?
Bad Ragaz is quite a big resort but would be easy to get to from Zurich. Waldhaus Flims is generally lower cost than some of the other options mentioned here. Waldhotel is not really a boutique hotel but unlikely to have weddings or be rammed. In the same location, Villa Honegg is much smaller and more boutiquey.

You probably need to increase the hour train ride to 1.5-2 hours, unless you go for a hotel in Basel or Luzern.
MitzEclipse likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:45 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by MitzEclipse
Hello - I'm looking for luxury hotel recommendations within around 1 hour train of Zurich HB, but not in Zurich (eg not Dolder, Baur au Lac, Atlantis). I'd like to go between late May-July for a weekend, Friday-Sunday. Looking for something that is more on the smaller unique boutique side, definitely not rammed (eg with a massive wedding party etc). This would be for two people staying at the property for the entire time so there ideally should have options for wellness/spa/restaurants.

I'm looking for something for the best bang-for-the-buck. Reviewed this thread and looks like some options are Waldhotel and Park Weggis. Any other properties you'd recommend?
I don't think there's a better option than Park Hotel Vitznau on Lake Lucerne. One of the best properties in Switzerland. In fact, we're heading back again in June.
50 minute car ride from Zurich. The only luxury property in the small town. 47 suites, a 1 star and 2 star restaurant on site. Amazing pool and spa facility. Must get a lake view suite and it's well worth it. Go closer to May vs. July for lesser occupancy onsite.
MitzEclipse, paterwdb and bhrubin like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:56 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
Brief update and mini report on my trip above. We booked last minute for Easter weekend, my husband was coming back from skiing and I was coming to meet him. It became clear that our only real option for the weekend was Geneva due to time constraints. I was worried everything would be shut due to Easter and we preferred the idea of a resort style hotel as I'm six months pregnant and we wanted somewhere to relax hence avoiding city hotels initially. La Reserve seemed like a good luxury option outside of town with an outdoor pool and extensive spa. I did have doubts on looking at pictures and trip advisor reviews but as we were short on time I booked it.

I was picked up from the airport for the less than ten minute drive to the hotel. As soon as I saw the lobby, I knew it wouldn't be my cup of tea.

Lobby is very dark and the safari style decor is out of place. I'm not a fan of leopard print carpet at the best of times.

We were upgraded to a junior suite due to our Virtuoso booking but I found the interiors rather sad and shabby.

The terrace is also a little sad and more could have been done to make it comfortable. The view of the lake is disappointing too as I could see more orange building, and dirty rooftops rather than Lake Geneva. I had higher hopes for the pool area.

The hotel website claims that the hotel is located 'on the shores of Lake Geneva' what it doesn't say is that there's a motor way between the property and the lake and you need to use a subway to get to the lake. The pool is ok (save rather sad looking loungers) but is really no where near the lake.

Look back and you can see the hotel exterior which reminds me of a travel lodge.

On the plus side the spa looked nice and offered some great sounding treatments though we didn't get to use it. Within about five minutes I had decided that we'd be leaving and checking out the next day. We did however, dine at the Michelin-starred Chinese restaurant that was good, though I've been spoilt by some truly excellent Chinese restaurants and have had better.

There was nothing wrong with the service at all and when we checked out early, everything possible was done to persuade us to stay. We were offered a new room etc. However, I had made up my mind, we checked out and moved to the Four Seasons. See next.
SanDiego1K, wrp96, bhrubin and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:11 pm

My Virtuoso agent had Four Seasons Hotel des Bergues Geneva booked for us within minutes and we headed there straight after breakfast. The hotel is right on the water but unfortunately there were building works at the time which obstructed the view a little.

A gorgeous lobby filled with light, marble and flowers couldn't have been more different to La Reserve. The other public rooms were impeccable too.

Lounge

Bar.

Again we were upgraded to a junior suite, which was beautiful.

We didn't have a terrace but had a Juliet balcony.

We ate in all the restaurants, the Michelin-starred Italian, Il Lago, the Japanese rooftop restaurant Izumi (which has a panoramic view) and also at the hotel bar. All excellent.

So much was done to make the stay personal and special and as it was Easter, there was chocolate everywhere, and hand made Easter eggs delivered to the room.

We absolutely loved our stay and though a lot was closed on Sunday and Monday, we just took the chance to wonder around the city and enjoy the parks etc. Our late arrival meant we had no time to take advantage of the spa credit that we had through Virtuoso but the spa looked lovely and there is a small rooftop pool.

Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:02 pm

FS Bergues looks better than ever... ^

Lovely amenities as well -- la classe!
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:18 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Four Seasons is beautiful. Thanks for posting.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
FS indeed looks much nicer than La Reserve.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:53 pm

Great switch of hotels to save your weekend! Another advantage of having a great TA to recover a possibly bad trip!
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:56 pm

I hate to say I told you so, but....
offerendum and bhrubin like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
I hate to say I told you so, but....
Unfortunately I didn't see your message until I was already on my way there
offerendum likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by LinLant
Great switch of hotels to save your weekend! Another advantage of having a great TA to recover a possibly bad trip!
I'm so glad that we moved!
offerendum and LinLant like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Anyone heard of or have tried this property? They are also opening in other parts of Switzerland

https://www.ultimagstaad.com/en

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.