Reload this Page >

Switzerland Luxury Hotels

Switzerland Luxury Hotels

Old Mar 18, 2021, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
The views are incredible and the hard product is out of this world.
It's indeed a nice hotel, but it's not out of this world. Some suites are even unacceptable in my eyes and hard product shows some failures. Also I'm one of the persons who finds it rather sterile.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 6:22 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
I would agree that PHV's 47 rooms can be a game of dice roll. I've hit and I've missed before
A lake view jr suite or suite is a must and even if you get an ugly room, the hotel grounds and pool/spa really makes up for it.
Getting a suite you really like (aesthetically) is a bonus here. Which seems odd to say/think.
I think the rates here are very reasonable as well.

But I love going to PHV as my EU entry or exit hub.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 8:39 am

Programs: UAL 1P, Bonvoy Plat, Delta Silver Med, AA Gold
Thanks for the quick reply. What do you all think of the Burgenstock property that opened in 2017? It sure looks gorgeous on the website. Price is about the same as PHV too. At 1400 CHF a night, (price for a lake view junior suite in late Sept) I would be very disappointed if I wound up with a "miss" room at PHV. Gives me pause for thought.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 1:07 pm

It still looks like there is a 10 day quarantine for Switzerland for tourists. Or they won't even let you enter unless on official business. Any ideas when this might change? Any ways around the
quarantine?
Old Mar 18, 2021, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by wanderlustFL
Thanks for the quick reply. What do you all think of the Burgenstock property that opened in 2017? It sure looks gorgeous on the website. Price is about the same as PHV too. At 1400 CHF a night, (price for a lake view junior suite in late Sept) I would be very disappointed if I wound up with a "miss" room at PHV. Gives me pause for thought.
To be fair you are able to ask at PHV which rooms are available and you will most likely get your favorite.
Goodmorning2U likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Livetotell
Any ideas when this might change?
Everyone who is able to answer thiis question and does a bet on it will get rich. No one can say how long this mess will stay.

Originally Posted by Livetotell
Any ways around the quarantine?
Staying at home or breaking the law. Switzerland doesn´t allow to "test out".
Livetotell likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have again a first world problem. I will travel from Milano back to Germany (Ruhrgebiet) and have a maximum of 2 nights left. I´m not to keen to drive it in once and I also see "the chance" to try something new. At the moment this are my thoughts:

Option 1: Bürgenstock Resort: It´s perfectly on the way and I find the setting interesting. Nevertheless I see the mixed reviews and I fear it´s full of posers and dayguests. Nevertheless it seems most things you find are from the Palace or Waldhotel, Bürgenstock Hotel is not the place the bloggers stay. I would only stay 1 night as I think you got it after it. As the Bay Suite is the same as the Double room (only view) I would go with the "cheapest".

Option 2: Dolder Grand: Not directly on the way but only a minor detour. Not in the city but good SPA and views. Would ask for suite in the old building as they seem to be bigger. Would most likely stay 2 nights. The Restaurant is closed what´s a down for me.

Option 3: Baur au Lac. Love the location and their 2 star is open but no SPA. It lacks a little the relaxing factor for me.

Any thoughts?
Old Jul 12, 2021, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
I have again a first world problem. I will travel from Milano back to Germany (Ruhrgebiet) and have a maximum of 2 nights left. I´m not to keen to drive it in once and I also see "the chance" to try something new. At the moment this are my thoughts:

Option 1: Bürgenstock Resort: It´s perfectly on the way and I find the setting interesting. Nevertheless I see the mixed reviews and I fear it´s full of posers and dayguests. Nevertheless it seems most things you find are from the Palace or Waldhotel, Bürgenstock Hotel is not the place the bloggers stay. I would only stay 1 night as I think you got it after it. As the Bay Suite is the same as the Double room (only view) I would go with the "cheapest".

Option 2: Dolder Grand: Not directly on the way but only a minor detour. Not in the city but good SPA and views. Would ask for suite in the old building as they seem to be bigger. Would most likely stay 2 nights. The Restaurant is closed what´s a down for me.

Option 3: Baur au Lac. Love the location and their 2 star is open but no SPA. It lacks a little the relaxing factor for me.

Any thoughts?

Regarding your Option 1, the Buergenstock Hotel and the Palace Hotel have a combined check-in/concierge/breakfast/spa, so you will not escape the bloggers and day guests. From my perspective a major design flaw. If you decide to go nevertheless, make sure to book a room with a good lake view - this is really the only reason to stay.

Same as most city hotels, Dolder and Baur au Lac have suffered during the pandemic. I am not sure what service levels are like these days.

Does it have to be Switzerland, by the way? I also enjoyed Brenner's Park in Baden-Baden. Yes, it's getting mixed reviews, too, but dinner on the terrace facing the park is quite nice, and it may work for a stop over.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 12:56 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Diamond, BA Gold, QR Plat

Any thoughts?
I have stayed twice in the Park Hyatt Zurich since the pandemic started and found that the level of service has stayed very high - they have an amazing team. The property looks a bit bland from the outside, but you get a different feeling when actually staying in the hotel. They offer massages AFAIK, but there is no Spa. Great location.

If SPA is important to you, then probably Dolder Grand would be the better choice.

Other than that, you also have the Chedi Andermatt and Kempinski Engelberg on your way if you would rather spend that time in nature than the city. I have no experience with the Kempinski as it’s brand-new (opened last month), but just an idea.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kamel123
Does it have to be Switzerland, by the way? I also enjoyed Brenner's Park in Baden-Baden. Yes, it's getting mixed reviews, too, but dinner on the terrace facing the park is quite nice, and it may work for a stop over.
We discussed Brenners. It´s nearer to my home and a longer way from Italy. So not as conveniant as Zürich or Bürgenstock. Also it´s in a better distance for some future weekend trip.

Originally Posted by CanaryWharf
I have stayed twice in the Park Hyatt Zurich since the pandemic started and found that the level of service has stayed very high - they have an amazing team. The property looks a bit bland from the outside, but you get a different feeling when actually staying in the hotel. They offer massages AFAIK, but there is no Spa. Great location.

If SPA is important to you, then probably Dolder Grand would be the better choice.

Other than that, you also have the Chedi Andermatt and Kempinski Engelberg on your way if you would rather spend that time in nature than the city. I have no experience with the Kempinski as it’s brand-new (opened last month), but just an idea.
Park Hyatt came to my mind as it´s good value with the Premium Suite award, but value is for the last hotel not the most important factor. It looks quite standard. Chedi Andermatt is very expensive at weekends and GF finds it too dark. So I eliminated it. Engelberg could work out, I visited the town in 2005.

At the moment I monitor the weather closely. It seems to rain all the time, there is flood at some lakes. I had such conditions in 2005 and it wasn´t a pleasure. So perhaps I wait and if it´s like this better skip Switzerland.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Jul 12, 2021 at 5:18 am Reason: Consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 12, 2021, 1:04 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie

Any thoughts?
Depending on the days of travel I would do option no. 4 and take a longer detour and go to Forestis in South Tyrol. Tower or even Penthouse Suite with halfboard plan for one night. Stunning views, great food, SPA and nice service throughout. Stylish with solid Tyrolean substance.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ngfan
Depending on the days of travel I would do option no. 4 and take a longer detour and go to Forestis in South Tyrol. Tower or even Penthouse Suite with halfboard plan for one night. Stunning views, great food, SPA and nice service throughout. Stylish with solid Tyrolean substance.
Frankly it´s not really my style and even more far away than Milan Sout Tyrol is for another trip
Old Jul 12, 2021, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
It's indeed a nice hotel, but it's not out of this world. Some suites are even unacceptable in my eyes and hard product shows some failures. Also I'm one of the persons who finds it rather sterile.
They are currently in the process of updating several of the suites. Some of the staff are excellent and some are lacking, but not for effort.

Its a situation where the owners have spared no expense but want to maintain 100% control of the property. They live and work in the building, and though I am sure they would like to make a profit I get the sense that its more important for them to be able entertain hedge fund investors and others important to their family businesses. The owners are missing out on significant increase in profits by not working with a strong chain. They don’t have dynamic pricing for instance, and the employees they attract and retain have little hope of moving up, so the good ones leave and the less ambitious ones stay. Its a fabulous hotel and the comparisons I am making are with hotels like the Four Seasons Geneva or FS Florence. A large chain is not always the solution in these cases. We visited the Arlberg Lech hotel and were blown away by the service, but the owners are very hands on, unlike PHV.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 7:48 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
They are currently in the process of updating several of the suites. Some of the staff are excellent and some are lacking, but not for effort.

Its a situation where the owners have spared no expense but want to maintain 100% control of the property. They live and work in the building, and though I am sure they would like to make a profit I get the sense that its more important for them to be able entertain hedge fund investors and others important to their family businesses. The owners are missing out on significant increase in profits by not working with a strong chain. They don’t have dynamic pricing for instance, and the employees they attract and retain have little hope of moving up, so the good ones leave and the less ambitious ones stay. Its a fabulous hotel and the comparisons I am making are with hotels like the Four Seasons Geneva or FS Florence. A large chain is not always the solution in these cases. We visited the Arlberg Lech hotel and were blown away by the service, but the owners are very hands on, unlike PHV.
Which hotel is this? I scrolled up a ways and am not sure.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Which hotel is this? I scrolled up a ways and am not sure.
Park Hotel Vitznau.

The owner is Peter Pühringer - you can spot him regularly swimming in Lake Lucerne in front of the hotel. He also owns Palais Coburg in Vienna.
SanDiego1K likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.