Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Switzerland Luxury Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2020, 8:58 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum, Marriott & Discovery Platinum, IGH Diamond
Originally Posted by offerendum
Btw I would be interested were they land the Heli in Vitznau. On hotel property I can´t really see a proper place.The idea with the boat sounds indeed very good, especially if you already had the birds-view.
PHV told me the landing place is in 10 min from the hotel. They will pick us up from there.

In case of Dolder and 7132 chopper lands on property.

I'll know for sure in few days

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Sep 4, 2020, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by El Puerco Volante
PHV told me the landing place is in 10 min from the hotel. They will pick us up from there.
Thanks. Thought so.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 10:41 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Just returned from a couple of trips down south - Crans Montana and Zermatt. A relatively easy drive from Basel, though we timed it to avoid rush hour - Montreux provides a pleasant stop to stretch the legs.

First stay was at Le Crans, a chalet-style hotel with around 15 rooms. The service at the hotel was friendly and we enjoyed the homely feel of the chalet. Our room (Superior room Marmotte) was a reasonable size and had a nice terrace area over looking the mountains. The superior rooms would be good for family or friends as the 3 rooms are in the same area, accessible from the billiard room and sharing the same terrace area (separate parts outside each room but not very private). The gym was small but functional and there are a couple of pools though nothing outstanding given other similar hotels in Switzerland. Dinner on the first night was excellent (we had the 'Gourmet Lands' menu and they catered well to our difficult dietary requirements); on the second night, it was less memorable and we experienced a few minor service issues. Prices were excellent for Switzerland (98 CHF for multi-course 1* dining) and there is a wide range of wines available by the glass. We didn't go into town at all as wanted to enjoy the hiking and hotel facilities. Based on our experience, we would not return to Crans to hike - the routes starting at the hotel seem to mostly follow the pistes and the ski infrastructure spoils the view! However, if you like mountain biking or are a competent skier, Le Crans offers a warm, understated luxury environment with good access to the pistes.

Our second stay was at the Omnia in Zermatt, another small hotel with 30 rooms. The arrival service was seamless (due to Zermatt being car-free, you park at a taxi company in Täsch who provide a transfer to the village, where you are met by the hotel's electric buggy). We were upgraded to a suite with a stunning view of the Matterhorn. The balcony from the suite is quite close to a public footpath (so no naked sunbathing!) but the views, especially at sunrise, are extraordinary. The hotel is a little above Zermatt, which is ideal as you avoid the busy shopping street. Hiking in Zermatt is great - the hotel recommended a lovely route along the Edelweiss way (about 5 hours for the portion we did). Come back to soak in the outdoor hot-tub (with views) and enjoy the pool and spa. We will definitely return to the hotel and stay longer next time (2 nights is not enough!).
SanDiego1K, offerendum and FlyerEC like this.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 8:11 pm

Will be dreaming And “ copying” this itinerary, if you don’t mind.
Wondering about your routing from Montreux to Crans-Montana and to Zermatt
did you drive past Martigny and into Sion
appreciate if you could provide some town markers on route to the two places .
Thanks
its a pity Powder Air never took off , as it suppose to go directly into Sion .
Old Sep 6, 2020, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by price123
However, if you like mountain biking or are a competent skier, Le Crans offers a warm, understated luxury environment with good access to the pistes.
Thank you for posting this. I was considering LeCrans for a winter stay. It is sometimes advertised as ski-in ski-out, or nearly ski-in ski-out. Can you comment on how close it really is to the pistes? It's a bit hard to say from the map.

Originally Posted by price123
Our second stay was at the Omnia in Zermatt
DId you try the Omnia's gourmet restaurant? I wanted to try it when we were in Zermatt recently, but it was closed for non-guests.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 12:17 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Originally Posted by bearbrick
Will be dreaming And “ copying” this itinerary, if you don’t mind.
Wondering about your routing from Montreux to Crans-Montana and to Zermatt
did you drive past Martigny and into Sion
appreciate if you could provide some town markers on route to the two places.
There is a motorway most of the way along the valley, past Martigny and Sion as you mention. If going to Zermatt, you would continue past Sion to Visp, then turn towards Täsch.

From Basel, travel to Bern, Fribourg, towards Lausanne and turn onto A9 towards Montreux. From Geneva, it is probably quickest around the north shore of Lac Leman towards Lausanne but worth checking traffic going through France. From Zurich, navigation systems will probably route you onto the car train (Lötschberg Tunnel) but it is probably quicker to go via Bern and Montreux.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by kamel123
Thank you for posting this. I was considering LeCrans for a winter stay. It is sometimes advertised as ski-in ski-out, or nearly ski-in ski-out. Can you comment on how close it really is to the pistes? It's a bit hard to say from the map.
The hotel is definitely close to the pistes; however, I am not confident it would be ski-in ski-out for most of the winter - there is a small road to cross and a path to get onto the piste. With sufficient snow, the path should be passable but the road is likely to be cleared. Having said that, 150 m from the piste is not far (run 2)!

Originally Posted by kamel123
Did you try the Omnia's gourmet restaurant? I wanted to try it when we were in Zermatt recently, but it was closed for non-guests.
We didn't eat in the restaurant - we had clients who did earlier this year and raved about it (they are vegetarian so it was ideal for them). We did order the lamb hot dogs and a salad through room service, which were excellent.
kamel123 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 10:50 am

Back from our one week trip at four hotels.

The Dolder Grand

Great as usual. This time we stayed in corner Jr.Suite in the old building. Big terrace, full lake view. Nothing to fail really. SPA is always a highlight and breakfast is excellent in both quality and the way it's managed in corona times (full a la carte).
Our departure via helicopter caused quite a stir. Chopper lands on property and a sizeble crowd gathered, with de rigueur phones in hand. I must say that Dolder managed the whole thing very smoothly, one more point to one of my preferred hotels. It goes without saying that we will be back in one week.

7132 Hotel

After a smooth 40 min ride, we landed at a small landing site.From there a hotel V Class brought us on property. Welcomed at the hotel with a rose for my wife and a soft sheep toy for my son. Nothing for me After a quick welcome drink we has been brought to our Penthouse Suite. It's actually much smaller then it looks in photos.It's really just one big room with lots of wasted space (why there is a huge decorative pool, when you could have used this space for an actual pool or a big jacuzzi is beyond me). Also, there is no privacy! Occupants of suites next to ours on both sides can just walk to our terrace! And while during our stay we has been the only occupants of the whole floor, staff peeked several times into our suite from the other suites. This alone is enough to make me never come back. SPA is nice, but it's a public facility. Means crowded. No peace at all.
2* Silver restaurant food quality is great and deserves it's rating. Altrough my wife didn't eat 3 courses and no alternatives has been offered. She was full anyway so I let this slip. Still, not good. Also, they charged 19 chf for a glass of juice for my son. I honestly find this pricing offensive.
Breakfast was good and a la carte. Service is well-meaning but unpolished and confused - french toast brough before eggs and so on.
Service in the room was also not up to par - despite service has been done twice, they still failed to remove an empty champagne bottle and dirty plates.
I mentioned the shortcomings at check-out. The only service recovery was a "thank you for telling us". OK then!
We has been happy it was the time to take the heli to PHV, where we arrived after another smooth 35 ride.

Will we be back? No. 7132 is punching way above it's weight. At 3k chf/night this kind of shortcomings are not acceptable. And the hotel crowd is mostly made of guests from 350 chf rooms in the attached cheap wing. It just doest't have luxury athmosphere. If you are nearby - stop for a dinner @ Silver and go for a ride in hotel's heli for 100 chf (promoted on video screens trough the establishment). That will cover it.

Reviews of PHV and Bürgenstock will follow!

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
United747, BESVISOR and LinLant like this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 10:57 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
FWIW I've now stayed twice at the new La Reserve in Zurich. I think it's easily the best in central Zurich, having stayed at the PH Zurich, Dolder Grand, Storchen, Bauer au Lac.

Can't comment on chopper transfers. I try to avoid them as a matter of principle.
offerendum likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Back from our one week trip at four hotels.

The Dolder Grand

Great as usual. This time we stayed in corner Jr.Suite in the old building. Big terrace, full lake view. Nothing to fail really. SPA is always a highlight and breakfast is excellent in both quality and the way it's managed in corona times (full a la carte).
Our departure via helicopter caused quite a stir. Chopper lands on property and a sizeble crowd gathered, with de rigueur phones in hand. I must say that Dolder managed the whole thing very smoothly, one more point to one of my preferred hotels. It goes without saying that we will be back in one week.

7132 Hotel

After a smooth 40 min ride, we landed at a small landing site.From there a hotel V Class brought us on property. Welcomed at the hotel with a rose for my wife and a soft sheep toy for my son. Nothing for me After a quick welcome drink we has been brought to our Penthouse Suite. It's actually much smaller then it looks in photos.It's really just one big room with lots of wasted space (why there is a huge decorative pool, when you could have used this space for an actual pool or a big jacuzzi is beyond me). Also, there is no privacy! Occupants of suites next to ours on both sides can just walk to our terrace! And while during our stay we has been the only occupants of the whole floor, staff peeked several times into our suite from the other suites. This alone is enough to make me never come back. SPA is nice, but it's a public facility. Means crowded. No peace at all.
2* Silver restaurant food quality is great and deserves it's rating. Altrough my wife didn't eat 3 courses and no alternatives has been offered. She was full anyway so I let this slip. Still, not good. Also, they charged 19 chf for a glass of juice for my son. I honestly find this pricing offensive.
Breakfast was good and a la carte. Service is well-meaning but unpolished and confused - french toast brough before eggs and so on.
Service in the room was also not up to par - despite service has been done twice, they still failed to remove an empty champagne bottle and dirty plates.
I mentioned the shortcomings at check-out. The only service recovery was a "thank you for telling us". OK then!
We has been happy it was the time to take the heli to PHV, where we arrived after another smooth 35 ride.

Will we be back? No. 7132 is punching way above it's weight. At 3k chf/night this kind of shortcomings are not acceptable. And the hotel crowd is mostly made of guests from 350 chf rooms in the attached cheap wing. It just doest't have luxury athmosphere. If you are nearby - stop for a dinner @ Silver and go for a ride in hotel's heli for 100 chf (promoted on video screens trough the establishment). That will cover it.

Reviews of PHV and Bürgenstock will follow!

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
Did you pay the "not used" courses at Silver? I think today it´s a shame if a Restaurant isn´t able to offer alternatives. I think I know pretty well why 7132 never came to my mind. Sounds terrible. With the Juice Prices I think they are nearly normal in Switzerland These days, for me one reason to prefer other destinations. Even if it is most likely a small amount compared to the over all bill it´s still a ripp off.

Regarding the Transfer for me personally a Picture of me bording a heli at a Luxury Hotel in the Internet would be quite the opposite from a pleasure. Impossible for me.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 11:57 am

Did you pay the "not used" courses at Silver? I think today it´s a shame if a Restaurant isn´t able to offer alternatives. I think I know pretty well why 7132 never came to my mind. Sounds terrible. With the Juice Prices I think they are nearly normal in Switzerland These days, for me one reason to prefer other destinations. Even if it is most likely a small amount compared to the over all bill it´s still a ripp off.

Regarding the Transfer for me personally a Picture of me bording a heli at a Luxury Hotel in the Internet would be quite the opposite from a pleasure. Impossible for me.
Yes, we paid full amount. No attempt made by hotel to make it right at all for the skipped 3 courses.
And for the juice - while I agree that 19 chf out of 700 bill is not much, I still find this amont offensive for a juice.

I also do not enjoy being on people's phones. I hate it so much that I involved captains in order to stop bloggers from taking videos in F cabins few times.

Here it was different. Crowd has been kept far and we had masks. So, despite my very low level of tollerance towards invasions of my privacy, this didn't felt like one. And I appreciated Dolder's effort in making it so.

Regards,
El Puerco Volante
Old Sep 10, 2020, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I still find this amont offensive for a juice.
At PHV I paid 22 CHF for some kind of Blueberry juice (0,1), you can imagine my mood. Simply a rip-off
Old Sep 10, 2020, 1:27 am

At PHV I paid 22 CHF for some kind of Blueberry juice (0,1), you can imagine my mood. Simply a rip-off
I agree. I guess it's called "Health & Wealth Residence" for a reason

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Sep 10, 2020, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Health & Wealth Residence
Indeed. Only problem you arrive wealthy and leave not so wealthy
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 2:15 am

Indeed. Only problem you arrive wealthy and leave not so wealthy
Well, yes. The wealth stays in residence

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
RichardInSF and offerendum like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.