Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Switzerland Luxury Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2020, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by schriste
You summary sounds fair, but I have a soft spot for this hotel. My wife and I stayed over Valentines day in 2009. A number of service related items still bring a
Unfortunately none of these special touches for us...

Originally Posted by offerendum
Considered Splendid Royal but decided to skip it. For me it looks too old fashioned and the Presidential Suite more or less the only acceptable room. For what it offers too expensive in my eyes.
If you have no reason to be specifically in Lugano, that sounds like a wise decision. There are other options relatively close by (Lake Como, Ascona...). If I go back to Lugano proper, I may try Villa Castagnola.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by kamel123
If you have no reason to be specifically in Lugano, that sounds like a wise decision. There are other options relatively close by (Lake Como, Ascona...). If I go back to Lugano proper, I may try Villa Castagnola.
Agree. I stood 2005 in front of the nice looking hotel and said myself one day I will stay there. But it´s the same with other hotels I always wanted to try. With the years better options come up.
El Puerco Volante likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 9:32 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum, Marriott & Discovery Platinum, IGH Diamond
Any first-hand experience with 7132? Tempted, but also concerned by all the "design" references on their website.
In my experience hotels that rely on excessive use of the d-word are rarely real luxury.

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Aug 20, 2020, 9:34 am

Agree. I stood 2005 in front of the nice looking hotel and said myself one day I will stay there. But it´s the same with other hotels I always wanted to try. With the years better options come up.
Same happened with the ladies once or twice for me

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Aug 25, 2020, 12:30 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Originally Posted by El Puerco Volante
Any first-hand experience with 7132? Tempted, but also concerned by all the "design" references on their website.
In my experience hotels that rely on excessive use of the d-word are rarely real luxury.

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
We stayed a couple of years ago in their Penthouse suite - good value given the helicopter transfers are included (subject to weather). Dining was very good - much better than expected. Spa was nice but maybe not the best we have been to as it was quite busy (this may be better with Covid restrictions). I would not stay in the 'Architect's House' - rooms are tiny and definitely not luxury.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 8:44 am

Decided to spend next days with my family between Dolder, 7132, PHV and Burgenstock.
All hotels have easy access via helicopter, so will be using that to avoid long transfers.
Will provide an update once back!

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Sep 3, 2020, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

All hotels have easy access via helicopter, so will be using that to avoid long transfers.
The long transfers are my biggest concern in Switzerland, the infinite widths of Switzerland make traveling around a challenge. Especially between Bürgenstock and PHV the helicopter seems to be the only reasonable option. Is the helicopter able to do the trip from Zurich to Lake Lucerne in once or is there a refueling stop?
Old Sep 4, 2020, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Decided to spend next days with my family between Dolder, 7132, PHV and Burgenstock.
Will provide an update once back!

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
Sounds like a nice trip! I have no experience with 7132, but know the 3 others.
Buergenstock I found to be a slightly bizarre place. The hard product is excellent: >500 million of investment over 7 years, and it shows. The location is fantastic, on a high ridge with a wonderful view over Lake Lucerne. Also there a nice activities, such as taking the cable car and then a boat over to Lucerne. In terms of room, can recommend the Spa Suite. It has a sauna and a massage table, which we did not use. But the real benefit is views in two directions (lake/mountains) and a terrace.

The soft product left a lot to be desired when I stayed though (only once, for this reason). Somehow, they decided to combine the reception/front desk/valet as well as breakfast between the Buergenstock Hotel and the neighboring four-star Palace Hotel. Not sure if this can be/has been changed. but the result was anything but a luxurious experience. Also, the hotel was overrun with day trippers. As a result, we had difficulty booking a restaurant on some evenings. Quality of the food varied - the arabic restaurant was very good.

The spa was a zoo full of guests constantly taking videos using selfie sticks. Not sure how they control capacity, day passes for the spa are >300 CHF, but that does not seem to deter people.

In any case, I would be really curious whether things have improved.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 2:23 am

The long transfers are my biggest concern in Switzerland, the infinite widths of Switzerland make traveling around a challenge. Especially between Bürgenstock and PHV the helicopter seems to be the only reasonable option. Is the helicopter able to do the trip from Zurich to Lake Lucerne in once or is there a refueling stop?
I wouldn't normally stay at 4 hotels in one week with my 5 y/o boy. Heli transfers cut 3h drives into 45min flights, so this suddenly becomes feasible and enjoyable for the whole family. But then tastes vary

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Sep 4, 2020, 2:25 am

Sounds like a nice trip! I have no experience with 7132, but know the 3 others.
Buergenstock I found to be a slightly bizarre place. The hard product is excellent: >500 million of investment over 7 years, and it shows. The location is fantastic, on a high ridge with a wonderful view over Lake Lucerne. Also there a nice activities, such as taking the cable car and then a boat over to Lucerne. In terms of room, can recommend the Spa Suite. It has a sauna and a massage table, which we did not use. But the real benefit is views in two directions (lake/mountains) and a terrace.

The soft product left a lot to be desired when I stayed though (only once, for this reason). Somehow, they decided to combine the reception/front desk/valet as well as breakfast between the Buergenstock Hotel and the neighboring four-star Palace Hotel. Not sure if this can be/has been changed. but the result was anything but a luxurious experience. Also, the hotel was overrun with day trippers. As a result, we had difficulty booking a restaurant on some evenings. Quality of the food varied - the arabic restaurant was very good.

The spa was a zoo full of guests constantly taking videos using selfie sticks. Not sure how they control capacity, day passes for the spa are >300 CHF, but that does not seem to deter people.

In any case, I would be really curious whether things have improved.
Hmm, you got me worried there. Last thing I want is to be in a place overrun by, excuse my language, bloggers. Guess I'll book only 2 days @ Buergenstock and see how it goes.

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Sep 4, 2020, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wouldn't normally stay at 4 hotels in one week with my 5 y/o boy. Heli transfers cut 3h drives into 45min flights, so this suddenly becomes feasible and enjoyable for the whole family. But then tastes vary

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
You asked for it Of course you spare time with a Heli but it´s not really that relevant for most, especially on holiday. I guess we agree that main reason for the flight is the experience.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 4:52 am
Original Poster

The infinite widths of Switzerland - that gave me a good laugh! But appreciate the drive between Zurich and Vals may feel long, 7132 has been offering packages including the helicopter transfer for a reason.

Actually, between PHV and Burgenstock a boat transfer may be a nice option, given both hotels have their docks, and it should not take too long.
offerendum likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 6:51 am

You asked for it Of course you spare time with a Heli but it´s not really that relevant for most, especially on holiday. I guess we agree that main reason for the flight is the experience.
No problem, I don't mind some German humor

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
offerendum likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 6:52 am

The infinite widths of Switzerland - that gave me a good laugh! But appreciate the drive between Zurich and Vals may feel long, 7132 has been offering packages including the helicopter transfer for a reason.

Actually, between PHV and Burgenstock a boat transfer may be a nice option, given both hotels have their docks, and it should not take too long.
That's a good idea. I'll ask PHV if they can arrange.

Thanks & regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Sep 4, 2020, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No problem, I don't mind some German humor

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
Btw I would be interested were they land the Heli in Vitznau. On hotel property I can´t really see a proper place.The idea with the boat sounds indeed very good, especially if you already had the birds-view.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.