Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Switzerland Luxury Hotels

Switzerland Luxury Hotels

Old Jun 21, 19, 5:07 pm
  #196  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 265
Geneva!

Hello! I'll be in Geneva for one night in September and am looking to have a luxury hotel experience, preferably with a gorgeous view of the beautiful lake. From reading through the posts, it seems like the unanimous conclusion is that Four Seasons Hotel des Bergues is hands down the best option. Given this, which room category guarantees a lake view? Perhaps it's the dates I'm looking, but even the "Four Seasons Junior Suite" indicates that the view is of either "Partial lake views or the city" and it's CHF 1,550, which doesn't sound like much of a guarantee to me. In fact, it's only when I get to the "Suite Mont Blanc" where it actually says "Full Lake Geneva" view and at CHF 3,500 per night which is way over my budget for a one-night stay.

I currently have a reservation at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel de la Paix for a "Lake View King Room with Balcony" for 60,000 points + CHF 350 (cheapest rate prepaid without points is CHF 1,244). Tripadvisor reviews for the lake-front rooms with balcony are overwhelmingly positive all around, so I was thinking I was golden until I came across the reviews here! Would love to make the Four Seasons work if I could get some input on room categories that would guarantee a view of the lake.

Thanks in advance!
suziemay is offline  
Old Jun 22, 19, 1:48 am
  #197  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: En Route
Programs: Many
Posts: 6,500
Have an upcoming stay at The Grand National in Lucerne. How low should my expectations be? Following it up with a stop at The Dolder Grand, so at least I know that will be pleasant.
GetSetJetSet is offline  
Old Jun 22, 19, 2:03 am
  #198  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Jakarta
Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Posts: 1,203
Originally Posted by suziemay View Post
Hello! I'll be in Geneva for one night in September and am looking to have a luxury hotel experience, preferably with a gorgeous view of the beautiful lake. From reading through the posts, it seems like the unanimous conclusion is that Four Seasons Hotel des Bergues is hands down the best option. Given this, which room category guarantees a lake view? Perhaps it's the dates I'm looking, but even the "Four Seasons Junior Suite" indicates that the view is of either "Partial lake views or the city" and it's CHF 1,550, which doesn't sound like much of a guarantee to me. In fact, it's only when I get to the "Suite Mont Blanc" where it actually says "Full Lake Geneva" view and at CHF 3,500 per night which is way over my budget for a one-night stay.

I currently have a reservation at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel de la Paix for a "Lake View King Room with Balcony" for 60,000 points + CHF 350 (cheapest rate prepaid without points is CHF 1,244). Tripadvisor reviews for the lake-front rooms with balcony are overwhelmingly positive all around, so I was thinking I was golden until I came across the reviews here! Would love to make the Four Seasons work if I could get some input on room categories that would guarantee a view of the lake.

Thanks in advance!
If just on views, the Ritz Carlton Geneva has arguably the better view as it is more upfront.
BENLEE is offline  
Old Jun 22, 19, 6:54 pm
  #199  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 265
Originally Posted by BENLEE View Post
If just on views, the Ritz Carlton Geneva has arguably the better view as it is more upfront.
Thanks! That makes me feel better about my existing reservation
suziemay is offline  
Old Jun 22, 19, 7:12 pm
  #200  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 557
Originally Posted by SilverSpoon View Post
I'm so glad that we moved!
I really like La Reserve, but I guess it depends on your room/suite -- I've had some nice suites in the main building overlooking the lake. The Chinese restaurant is good too and in the summer nice to dine al fresco. I guess the design is a mix of art deco with touches of safari, not a favorite theme, but something I can appreciate. My room was in good shape. Last visit about a year ago. Service good too.

Of course, FS is a great choice. I stay at La Reserve when I am headed outside of Geneva as I save 30 minutes on the way out of the city in the morning and 60 minutes coming back in. La Reserve is also a quick hop to the airport, but then from the lake to the airport is quick as well.
Nicoolio is offline  
Old Jun 22, 19, 7:18 pm
  #201  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 557
Originally Posted by suziemay View Post
Hello! I'll be in Geneva for one night in September and am looking to have a luxury hotel experience, preferably with a gorgeous view of the beautiful lake. From reading through the posts, it seems like the unanimous conclusion is that Four Seasons Hotel des Bergues is hands down the best option. Given this, which room category guarantees a lake view? Perhaps it's the dates I'm looking, but even the "Four Seasons Junior Suite" indicates that the view is of either "Partial lake views or the city" and it's CHF 1,550, which doesn't sound like much of a guarantee to me. In fact, it's only when I get to the "Suite Mont Blanc" where it actually says "Full Lake Geneva" view and at CHF 3,500 per night which is way over my budget for a one-night stay.

I currently have a reservation at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel de la Paix for a "Lake View King Room with Balcony" for 60,000 points + CHF 350 (cheapest rate prepaid without points is CHF 1,244). Tripadvisor reviews for the lake-front rooms with balcony are overwhelmingly positive all around, so I was thinking I was golden until I came across the reviews here! Would love to make the Four Seasons work if I could get some input on room categories that would guarantee a view of the lake.

Thanks in advance!
IMO the best lake views are further down -- President Wilson, which is Luxury Collection, Kempinski and Hotel D'Angleterre, some great suites with lake views and balconies which as I recall in some cases have a table for 2 good for a cocktail or breakfast. I see the Wilson at $741 for a random night in September and the other two both sub $500, of course that's probably not lake view.
Nicoolio is offline  
Old Jun 23, 19, 1:40 am
  #202  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Jakarta
Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Posts: 1,203
Just back from a recent trip to Alpina Gstaad and sharing some pics. Weather could have been better!

















BENLEE is offline  
Old Apr 15, 20, 1:24 pm
  #203  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Posts: 1,585
Angry Atlantis Zurich by Giardino to be closed end of April 2020, for sale

Received an email from Giardino CEO today that due to its "cost structure" and "rapidly decreasing financial situation", Atlantis Zurich by Giardino will finally be closed at the end of April 2020 (already temporarily closed since mid of March due to Corona) and is up for sale. News reports of property sale plans by the owners were already published last summer.

Very sad news indeed. I really loved this hotel run by Giardino, the outdoor pool, the breakfast, the rooms. Not in the midst of things but with shuttle service and a resort-like feel, a nice place for an extended weekend trip. And mostly available at reasonable rates (in Swiss terms).

Report (in German only): https://abouttravel.ch/geschaftsreis...ich-schliesst/
ngfan is offline  
Old May 22, 20, 1:27 pm
  #204  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Atlanta and the Big Island, Hawaii
Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Posts: 719
Park Hotel Vitznau

Hello, we are headed here in the near future and I wondered what the latest news of the property is and what might be a few “not to miss” things to do.

Are there kayaks or boats to rent?

Any particular amazing hikes nearby?

I am imaging it will be too cold to go into the water in June.

I look forward to reporting back.
Goodmorning2U is offline  
Old May 22, 20, 2:08 pm
  #205  
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Wi-Fi
Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Rosewood Elite, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Hyatt Prive, Shangri-La, SPG LP, etc...
Posts: 1,212
Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U View Post
Hello, we are headed here in the near future and I wondered what the latest news of the property is and what might be a few “not to miss” things to do.

Are there kayaks or boats to rent?

Any particular amazing hikes nearby?

I am imaging it will be too cold to go into the water in June.

I look forward to reporting back.
Fantastic!!

You'll love the place...No need to go on about how much I love this property and one of my favorites.
Summer time is amazing here on the lake. They are pretty much back in the full swing of things now (with new procedures in place).
Walk to the train/gondola and ride up to Mt. Rigi. Water will indeed be chilly in June.
Our last stay was last June for MayMyDay's wedding
Pool temp. will be perfect and you can see the entire lake from it.
I'm not sure if they will have their house boat available this summer but if so, taking a sunset cruise around the lake with champagne is always enjoyable.

Food is fantastic and having lunch on the lake terrace is special.
BESVISOR is offline  
Old May 23, 20, 8:52 am
  #206  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Atlanta and the Big Island, Hawaii
Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Posts: 719
Originally Posted by BESVISOR View Post
Fantastic!!

You'll love the place...No need to go on about how much I love this property and one of my favorites.
Summer time is amazing here on the lake. They are pretty much back in the full swing of things now (with new procedures in place).
Walk to the train/gondola and ride up to Mt. Rigi. Water will indeed be chilly in June.
Our last stay was last June for MayMyDay's wedding
Pool temp. will be perfect and you can see the entire lake from it.
I'm not sure if they will have their house boat available this summer but if so, taking a sunset cruise around the lake with champagne is always enjoyable.

Food is fantastic and having lunch on the lake terrace is special.
Besvisor, thank you!

Is there a small town within walking distance?

Does there happen to be separate men’s and women’s spa areas?

I know we are going to have a fantastic time. This is the first independent luxury property where I feel confident we will enjoy exceptional service.

If anyone has been to the Park Vitznau and can recommend a similarly amazing property, feel free to share it here or message me. The only properties which comes to mind are the FS Geneva, Paris, Florence, none on a lake.
Goodmorning2U is offline  
Old May 23, 20, 9:24 am
  #207  
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Wi-Fi
Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Rosewood Elite, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Hyatt Prive, Shangri-La, SPG LP, etc...
Posts: 1,212
Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U View Post
Besvisor, thank you!

Is there a small town within walking distance?

Does there happen to be separate men’s and women’s spa areas?

I know we are going to have a fantastic time. This is the first independent luxury property where I feel confident we will enjoy exceptional service.

If anyone has been to the Park Vitznau and can recommend a similarly amazing property, feel free to share it here or message me. The only properties which comes to mind are the FS Geneva, Paris, Florence, none on a lake.
Yes, the town/village of Vitznau is about a 10-15 minute walk from the hotel and along the lake.
A lot of the facilities like Sauna, steam room, UV room, etc... are just beneath the main pool and it's not separated by gender.

June will be a bit early this summer (due to COVID), think they will re-open on July 3rd. Last I heard. But Alpina Gstaad is a favorite of mine to combine with PHV in Switzerland. Next time you're staying at FS Geneva, be sure to take a 3 or 4 night detour to Alpina Gstaad. GM - Tim is from Aman and we had a blast there. Gstaad is a wonderful place for hiking in the summer. I've had more than 50 clients visit PHV, and maybe a dozen or so for Alpina Gstaad, only ever received praises. It's rare that everyone agrees. Please don't have any crazy/unrealistic expectations or anything but it absolutely is two wonderful places to relax and enjoy!
PHV is a great ending to an EU trip. 50 minute drive from ZUR.
Goodmorning2U likes this.
BESVISOR is offline  
Old May 23, 20, 11:08 am
  #208  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Posts: 1,916
problems for sure before 15 June

[QUOTE=Goodmorning2U;32396175]Hello, we are headed here in the near future and I wondered what the latest news of the property is and what might be a few “not to miss” things to do.
I am imaging it will be too cold to go into the water in June.
/QUOTE]

The water was 18°C this morning, but the problem will be that even from neighboring countries you can not enter Switzerland till 15 June and even longer when coming from outside the EU unless you have a Swiss passport or residence card or are married to a Swiss. Good luck and hope all will be fine for you.
Goodmorning2U likes this.
behuman is offline  
Old Yesterday, 8:06 am
  #209  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SIN
Programs: CX DM
Posts: 122
Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U View Post

If anyone has been to the Park Vitznau and can recommend a similarly amazing property, feel free to share it here or message me. The only properties which comes to mind are the FS Geneva, Paris, Florence, none on a lake.
Personally, while we enjoyed PHV, we found Villa Feltrinelli superior. The atmosphere was refined, the food wonderful, and the experience in general just very special.
Altocumulus is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: