Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Switzerland Luxury Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Zermatt vs. Gstaad? It appears that Mont Cervin in Zermatt doesn't hold a candle to Alpina Gstaad, but I am more concerned about the location than the hotel for this portion of the trip, and Zermatt looks to be more suited to what we like in a mountain town.
I've been to Alpina Gstaad. I much, much prefer Zermatt. There is much more to do and better views. Gstaad is a place you live. Zermatt is a place you visit. I haven't heard of Mont Cervin. My stays in Zermatt have been at the Omnia, which I very much recommend. There is a famous hotel way up the mountain that is on my list: I think it is Riffelalp. But it is really up there. I'm not sure how you party in Zermatt and stay at Riffelalp.

I found Baur au Lac a little stuffy. It is the sort of place that makes you feel like you need to put on a tux to use the loo in the lobby. Something like the Savoy in London, but they just look at you crossly rather than throw you out for the sin of wearing jeans. I prefer to be a little closer to the action with less stuffiness. My last stay was at the Widder in Old Town. I quite enjoyed it.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla

I found Baur au Lac a little stuffy. It is the sort of place that makes you feel like you need to put on a tux to use the loo in the lobby. Something like the Savoy in London, but they just look at you crossly rather than throw you out for the sin of wearing jeans. I prefer to be a little closer to the action with less stuffiness. My last stay was at the Widder in Old Town. I quite enjoyed it.
I have stayed at the Savoy numerous time and I am sure you do not need to wear a tux to use the loo. And even casual wear is fine in their restaurants. I think the old-school hotels in London are relaxing their dress code a lot nowadays. I even see people in shorts at Lanesborough at their fine dinning restaurants.

The only hotel in London that still strictly stick to their dress code tradition is the Ritz. I guess you must have loathe that place. Just for the sake of experience, I actually went there to have lunch and the service and food were actually quite good.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
I've been to Alpina Gstaad. I much, much prefer Zermatt. There is much more to do and better views. Gstaad is a place you live. Zermatt is a place you visit. I haven't heard of Mont Cervin. My stays in Zermatt have been at the Omnia, which I very much recommend. There is a famous hotel way up the mountain that is on my list: I think it is Riffelalp. But it is really up there. I'm not sure how you party in Zermatt and stay at Riffelalp.
Thank you, we decided on Zermatt. However we are sticking with Mont Cervin as it looks nicer than Omnia. I will write it up after. Riffalap closes for the season 3 days before we get there, unfortunately.

I love when someone thinks you need to dress a certain way to be in a public place. Obviously there are exceptions, but the lobby of a hotel I am paying for is not one. I will counter their glare with a nice big smile in my jeans, tshirt and boat shoes. We still travel with only a carryon backpack each (Nomatic Bag - highly recommended!) - so I have no room for my tux.

We chose Baur Au Lac because the rate is fantastic, the rooms and location look great, and BESVISOR got us a guaranteed upgrade to Jr. Suite. Widder was $300 CHF more.

Last edited by CanuckFlyHigh; Jun 22, 2018 at 8:16 am
Old Jun 30, 2018, 6:42 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
I finally got around to posting my review of Hotel President Wilson:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...on-geneva-2736

A little surprised at the lack of love for this hotel in this forum. There are only 22 suites and I would consider all of them luxury- even the bottom level Junior Lakeview Suite we stayed in.
Our room was not lavish but it was very nice. And the staff at the hotel was excellent. (I believe they have at least 3 Clef d'Or Concierges)

Although we didn't dine there, there is an acclaimed Michelin star restaurant on site.

Here are some details on the Suites (they all have panoramic Lake Views- and the top suites have typical luxury amenities including large dining rooms, private lifts, private terraces, butlers, chefs etc)
We noticed that the prices vary dramatically.

12 700 Square Foot Junior Léman Suites (some with private elevators)

2 1076 SF Executive Léman Suites with 2 master baths

4 1400 SF Crown Suites

2 1884 SF President Wilson Suites

2 5500 SF Royal Penthouse Suite

That are really a small number of suites, and I wonder if some disappointment resulted when Platinum members failed to be upgraded.
The rooms have also been renovated in the last few years, so maybe there were reports when the rooms needed refreshing?
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by damon88; Jul 1, 2018 at 10:20 am
Old Jul 1, 2018, 3:35 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Thank you, we decided on Zermatt. However we are sticking with Mont Cervin as it looks nicer than Omnia. I will write it up after. Riffalap closes for the season 3 days before we get there, unfortunately.

I love when someone thinks you need to dress a certain way to be in a public place. Obviously there are exceptions, but the lobby of a hotel I am paying for is not one. I will counter their glare with a nice big smile in my jeans, tshirt and boat shoes. We still travel with only a carryon backpack each (Nomatic Bag - highly recommended!) - so I have no room for my tux.

We chose Baur Au Lac because the rate is fantastic, the rooms and location look great, and BESVISOR got us a guaranteed upgrade to Jr. Suite. Widder was $300 CHF more.
When are you there? We have a day room booked at the Baur Au Lac for August 12. Just like you, we will only have a backpack for luggage. We’re using their car service and booked a special birthday dinner. We’ll see how they handle our casual dress!
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Are the prices for President Wilson really correct? Can´t imagine everyone Pays around 11.000 €/ 13.000 $ for this Junior Suite. In this case even I would prefer to stay at an Ibis. I found a rate at
August for 2.695 CHF, which is also a price I wouldn´t pay, even if I know Switzerland lost every ground contact regarding prices over the last years.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
Are the prices for President Wilson really correct? Can´t imagine everyone Pays around 11.000 €/ 13.000 $ for this Junior Suite. In this case even I would prefer to stay at an Ibis. I found a rate at
August for 2.695 CHF, which is also a price I wouldn´t pay, even if I know Switzerland lost every ground contact regarding prices over the last years.
I think SF refers to the square footage and does not indicate Swiss Francs.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

rates seem from
3500 crown - adjacent deluxe lake room # 42 lakefront
6500 president

wonder where virtuoso/FHR one-category upgrades stop

8th floor
380m2 1BR royal (+ 3 royal jr suite behind)
800m2 2BR imperial
1680m2 12BR combined full floor
discoverstarwoodsuites.com/en/property/1274
some starwood websites removed floorplans >

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 1, 2018 at 7:44 am
Old Jul 1, 2018, 8:09 am

Understanding cost of workforce in Switzerland makes rates more reasonable. Swiss Hotels chose quality over reasonable rates and have chosen not to lower standards, but raise prices to keep up with the market, which was the right decision. The results certainly speak for themselves, if you look at Geneva and Zurich hotels, and certainly much beloved favorites here like Park Hotel Vitznau, which I enjoy greatly. Mountainside retreats, such as Gstaad, Zermatt have inflated rates due to certain feeder markets....... you might guess who I am taking about. Always bad news when guests willing to pay anything for suites, irrespective of actual quality.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:14 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by scented

I think SF refers to the square footage and does not indicate Swiss Francs.

Haha- yes

The Square Footage is static but the prices change all the time 😆
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:17 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by offerendum
I saw that price today for the Junior Suite- I booked our room for May 2018 way in advance for 975 CHF on a promo rate-that is why I noted that prices can vary dramatically. We benefited from off season rates on our trip. I witnessed the same thing in Verbier- although we used points for our Fabulous Suite at the W- the cash rate in early May was a fraction of the rate they charge during ski season and even summer, when the town is a popular vacation destination.

For anyone seeking to enjoy a crowd free Switzerland I highly recommend shoulder season- although many top hotels and restaurants close. There were only a few other couples (no Americans) with us on the Glacier Express from St. Moritz to Zermatt. We had 2 FC cars to ourselves.

Last edited by damon88; Jul 1, 2018 at 10:31 am
Old Jul 1, 2018, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
OK, that ecplains a lot I know about workcosts etc but the have without doubt a price problem especially since the CHF rate is no longer fixed.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:25 pm

We returned to Park Hotel Vitznau a few days ago for a 3 night stay in order to meet the wedding planners. I should have known better than to visit a European hotel in peak-Summer; I have always avoided it for these very reasons, so PHV is not alone in is misdemeanours. It will not alter our plans for getting married here, but it really does highlight the difference of staying in some properties during full occupancy. Perhaps had we not come last May during a quiet period we would not have the same expectations, but we did. Gone is the serenity, the slick service, the thought-through welcome and empty spa and pool. Thankfully it has not been replaced by the Insta-crowds of Villa Honegg, so could be worse, yet the endless waiting around for orders, the inability to get a table or seat near the pool begins to irritate after enough time. So definitely go, but get the most out of it and avoid July and August.
FlyerEC and bhrubin like this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:29 pm

Some pictures from the Chedi Andermatt, which was actually a lot better than I thought it would be - although seeing how crowded Park Hotel Vitznau was likely prepared us for what was to come.

However, one image really needs highlighting, as Mr. Gathy truly has some explaining to do:

Yes, that is the toilet. Yes, that is the toilet with the door closed. No, I do not know how that is not banned by the United Nations.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Some pictures from the Chedi Andermatt, which was actually a lot better than I thought it would be - although seeing how crowded Park Hotel Vitznau was likely prepared us for what was to come.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132880...57697582000211

However, one image really needs highlighting, as Mr. Gathy truly has some explaining to do:

Yes, that is the toilet. Yes, that is the toilet with the door closed. No, I do not know how that is not banned by the United Nations.
Looks as though you were in a Deluxe Suite... from what I remember the toilet situation is the same throughout the hotel. I know Gathy likes to joke about his "sexy" bathrooms, though I struggle to meet his definition of it. Awful.

How was the service?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.