Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MO Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Aventine
Impressive. But, you still won't throw them business in this difficult time? You would think they would bend over backwards for her special occasion and you guys obviously have a special affinity with the property.
Not at those prices with most of the common areas not available. What ultimately drove the decision of not visiting during her birthday is that the River Wing is closed, so no x10-x11 staterooms (or the river-facing suites above the staterooms) which is the rooms we always stay in. For a "renovation" rate I'd reconsider, but I can't even begin to bother finding out.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:53 am

The reason is that the rooms in the Garden and Author wings are highly popular and with reduced inventory this drives rates. IIRC correctly Garden Rooms are about the same rates as in high season.

Thanks for sharing this story about Amanda... she is a living legend!
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by scented
The reason is that the rooms in the Garden and Author wings are highly popular and with reduced inventory this drives rates. IIRC correctly Garden Rooms are about the same rates as in high season.

I wonder how many people will book a room oblivious to the renovations, pay top dollar and then show up to a hotel operating at half mast? I fell for it myself. Made a booking, and then when I got the confirmation e-mail it said something about renovations with a broken link to more details. So further research confirmed what here at FT/Luxury Hotels and Travel already knew, and I canceled the reservation. I'm actually skipping Bangkok altogether instead.
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

with extremely few rooms open it seems surprising there are not more sold out dates. suggests many must be changing due to closures. although some consider fewer rooms a plus regardless.

mandarinoriental.com/bangkok/chao-phraya-river/luxury-hotel/accommodations/rooms/garden-room

12 garden rooms
12 garden suites
2 author wing suites

MO 2007 occupancy was 66%
bangkok keeps adding hotels

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 6, 2019 at 11:39 am
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

discount on ambassador suite? (no terrace like royal?)
regular guests might get good deals at last minute

ambassador
85 advance
100 best
245 published (not rack)

royal
157 advance
185 best / published

vs feb 4 2020
183 ambassador - advance
190 siam - advance
255 selandia - advance
298 royal - advance
332 oriental - advance

mandarinoriental.com/bangkok/chao-phraya-river/luxury-hotel/accommodations
photos.mandarinoriental.com/is/content/MandarinOriental/bangkok-renovation-announcement

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 6, 2019 at 11:59 am
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
discount on ambassador suite? (no terrace like royal?)
regular guests might get good deals at last minute

ambassador
85 advance
100 best
245 published (not rack)

royal
157 advance
185 best / published
I think MO thinks too highly of themselves to discount anything or we'd have seen it during this highly disruptive period.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

see above, big discount

85 was clearly discount just by considering rates for lower rooms and suites

many/some here get deals. they almost never post. including but not limited to MO brand.

Originally Posted by Pickles
Made a booking, and then when I got the confirmation e-mail it said something about renovations
did you book a room/suite in river wing?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
see above, big discount

85 was clearly discount just by considering rates for lower rooms and suites

many/some here get deals. they almost never post. including but not limited to MO brand.

did you book a room/suite in river wing?
I guess I was thinking of an agent w/ MO Fan club and not as dial the director of rooms and do a deal directly. You're more than right.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:35 pm

wlock likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I just got an email about the re-opening of the river wing...

Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok celebrates the reopening of the iconic River Wing following the largest renovation in our 143 years. Inspired by the hotel’s riverside location and history, as well as the unique spirit of Bangkok, this stunning transformation has further enhanced our accommodations and facilities while maintaining the classic, Thai-influenced elegance and unique resort style

Guests can now enjoy 11 outstanding restaurants and bars, an award-winning Spa, a Fitness & Wellness Centre and two re-designed swimming pools.

Book our Be the First to Stay* offer before 31 March 2020 to become one of the first to experience our beautifully rejuvenated hotel. Package rates start from THB 25,350...

The rooms look quite a bit different!

https://www.mandarinoriental.com/ban...accommodations
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Ahhh, the memories. Must go back next year. My favourite hotel in the world, ever since I lived there for six months back in the 70s.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Ahhh, the memories. Must go back next year. My favourite hotel in the world, ever since I lived there for six months back in the 70s.
Wow, that must have been something, to spend six months immersed in the peak-Kurt era.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 7:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Pickles
Wow, that must have been something, to spend six months immersed in the peak-Kurt era.
Herr Wachtveitl was a friend of my father in those days. He and his wife were often over for dinner in our Bangkok house. When I came back to stay in my own right in my mid twenties, he came to greet me like no time had passed at all. It was surreal.
MattEvan likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 10:47 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Herr Wachtveitl was a friend of my father in those days. He and his wife were often over for dinner in our Bangkok house. When I came back to stay in my own right in my mid twenties, he came to greet me like no time had passed at all. It was surreal.
You made this up after watching the Grand Budapest Hotel, didn’t you, little Albert?
Old Dec 21, 2019, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
That is a dream. There is another Flyertalker here who did a similar stay at the MO HKG in one of their top suites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.