Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2016, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club

Hello All,

My girlfriend and I will be spending 4 days in Bangkok before heading onto the other parts, Looking for advice on Luxury hotels. Would like something different from the usual IHG & Hyatt that I frequent for work.

I quite like the look of the Peninsula as I've only ever walked past them! Any personal experiences of their property in BKK?

Recomendations please? Fairly budget flexible but don't want to be spending 0000's a night.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Have a look at this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ok-hotels.html

Most peoplehere decide between Siam and MO. Peninsula still has a fan-club as Anantara (former FS).

Also interesting:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...te-2015-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...a-bangkok.html
Old Aug 2, 2016, 5:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Location? Do you want to be along the river or in the center of the "action"?

If you were Diamond with Hyatt, there could be an argument to use a DSU. Depending on the dates for your trip, there's a chance that the new Park Hyatt could be open.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 9:27 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

While the thread referenced by Offerendum above is authoritative, it is also very long and started in 2005. So I am going to close that one and retitle this one as the new thread for general discussion about Bangkok.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels

P.S. I've only stayed at the Pen in Bangkok but I felt it was a true luxury hotel as well as an excellent value.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
While the thread referenced by Offerendum above is authoritative, it is also very long and started in 2005. So I am going to close that one and retitle this one as the new thread for general discussion about Bangkok.
I'm sure this is a good idea for organizational purposes, but I think that for the most part we will just be repeating most of the things said in the old thread. Oh well, I'm heading to the Oriental soon. Will report back if anything has changed there, but I doubt it.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:35 am

Depends upon when you were last at MO BK - it has changed magnificently this year. Now by far the best in the city in all respects.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:36 am

Programs: DL PLT, Hilton Diamond, CX MPC Silver
Stayed at the Okura Prestige back in April '16 and really enjoyed it. Very modern hotel and a spectacular infinity pool area.

If the Park Hyatt is open during your trip, I would recommend checking that one out too (especially if you have status)
Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Location? Do you want to be along the river or in the center of the "action"?

If you were Diamond with Hyatt, there could be an argument to use a DSU. Depending on the dates for your trip, there's a chance that the new Park Hyatt could be open.
I'm a few night short of Diamond and don't think I will make it the cut this year. (just isnt enough of them European side for me to stay there unless I get USA side)

Location wise somewhere you can walk out at night and see life and find some food but it doesn't have to be in the middle of the action per se.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:41 am

I much prefer staying on the river than in the centre of town - you can get a house boat to most places. Walking is not easy in BK.

The Siam has its own boat, too, and lots of recommendations for good restaurants in the area.
ClickBKK likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere
I'm a few night short of Diamond and don't think I will make it the cut this year. (just isnt enough of them European side for me to stay there unless I get USA side)

Location wise somewhere you can walk out at night and see life and find soem food but it doesnt have to be in the middle of the action per se.
OT, but there's a new Hyatt Place at LHR. You might be able to do a couple cheap mattress run nights there.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere
Hello All,

My girlfriend and I will be spending 4 days in Bangkok before heading onto the other parts, Looking for advice on Luxury hotels. Would like something different from the usual IHG & Hyatt that I frequent for work.

I quite like the look of the Peninsula as I've only ever walked past them! Any personal experiences of their property in BKK?

Recomendations please? Fairly budget flexible but don't want to be spending 0000's a night.

Thanks in advance.
Stayed at the Peninsula for my honeymoon back in october and it was amazing. Cant compare to other properties, but we loved the location. Not to mention the complimentary boat shuttle which can get you to the BTS and other convenient destinations quickly. Balcony room on the river for the win!
Old Aug 2, 2016, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stayed at the MO about a month ago and the lobby and public spaces were simply astonishing. Where I thought it fell short was in the actual hotel room itself, which felt to me like an upgraded Marriott room. The colors were very corporate-chain, as was the furniture. Also, the curtains were stained and in need of replacement. I'd stay there again simply for the public spaces, but the room itself was nothing special. I suspect a higher-end room might yield more interesting design.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 12:38 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by rjque
Stayed at the MO about a month ago and the lobby and public spaces were simply astonishing. Where I thought it fell short was in the actual hotel room itself, which felt to me like an upgraded Marriott room. The colors were very corporate-chain, as was the furniture. Also, the curtains were stained and in need of replacement. I'd stay there again simply for the public spaces, but the room itself was nothing special. I suspect a higher-end room might yield more interesting design.
Thanks for your Mandarin Oriental Bangkok stay update. I'm glad you've overall enjoyed your stay and you would stay again.

Interesting insights/observations in regards to your room, especially compared to your impressions of the lobby/public areas/spaces.

Of course upgraded rooms should provide a different experience, but IMHO a luxury hotel should already be "above the norm" from entrance level category.

How was the service received and in which room type did you stay?

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^

Last edited by uggboy; Aug 2, 2016 at 1:12 pm
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by rjque
As uggboy said, it's important to know what room type you were in. We've said several times in the old thread that the lower level rooms were not special and not materially different from any other hotel. From a Mandarin room on up though, you know you are in a fine hotel.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OT, but there's a new Hyatt Place at LHR. You might be able to do a couple cheap mattress run nights there.
hmmmmmmm... I see a Hyatt place at 'Heathrow' I use the term Heathrow loosely!.......Interesting.

When does the PH Bangkok open?

Last edited by Leaping_Deere; Aug 3, 2016 at 12:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.