Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by UASPG
The word going around in Bangkok, in the hospitality industry, was that the hotel suffered a major blow when most of the best staff left when the owner (that lives at the St Regis) dropped the Four Seasons brand.

Things might have improved afterwards, but the treatment of regular guests is not necessarily an indication of the general level of service of an hotel.
Being a long time frequent guest in quite a few properties, I am sometimes surprised of what I hear or read about experiences of other guests in those places.
I am certainly no regular at Anantara Siam Bangkok, but had a number of stays there throughout the years and I am familiar with StR. I wouldn't call it a major blow and I certainly don't think it was all that bad after the departure of FS. Actually I saw most of the familiar faces and they were equally caring. I really felt they continued to serve the loyal local community, as well as the many guests and travelers from around the world. What I was missing was consistency.

So it is true, I think, what you describe that the property had a lot of ups and downs, but I suspect this has more to do with the various GMs there and the back and forth. Titiya Chooto had an excellent track record during her FS tenure and knows how to run a successful operation in Thailand. I cannot comment on Patrick Both as I do not know him at all.

The problem of the hotel is first and foremost the many tour buses and groups they accept, which simply should not happen. At all. Then the hardware -- I had hoped Minor would invest more and earlier. I was usually in the Jim Thompson explorer suite, which was acceptable, although showing age. Now finally things seem to be moving forward, but these things demotivate even the best and most caring staff. Market in Bangkok also wasn't easy for a long time. I wish the owner had a more focused approach with this property, but it seemed they didn't know what they would do with it. But I don't believe all that many people left, why would they? FS on the river is far from finished.

There are some here who know this hotel inside out, MikeFromTokyo and vuittonsofstyle for example -- many valuable contributions over the years, they should know.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:24 pm

The word going around in Bangkok, in the hospitality industry, was that the hotel suffered a major blow when most of the best staff left when the owner (that lives at the St Regis) dropped the Four Seasons brand.

Things might have improved afterwards, but the treatment of regular guests is not necessarily an indication of the general level of service of a hotel.
Being a long time frequent guest in quite a few properties, I am sometimes surprised of what I hear or read about experiences of other guests in those places.
I assure you, it has greatly improved under Anantara management. It’s better now than ever. I can tell you that many of the best people have been there for years, and a couple of them virtually since the hotel first opened. Additionally they have hired other great people from other hotels, who are now very happy at Anantara Siam. It’s extremely well run, and staff are very well taken care of. That’s not my opinion, it’s what many of them have told me themselves. And I believe it because it invariably shows when an hotel is well managed.

By the way, the owner also owns the St. Regis, but that is not in fact his primary residence to the best of my knowledge.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Oct 20, 2017 at 12:31 pm
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
By the way, the owner also owns the St. Regis, but that is not in fact his primary residence to the best of my knowledge.
Would surprise me as well.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
I assure you, it has greatly improved under Anantara management. It’s better now than ever.

I was only reporting what I heard from several managers working in various Bangkok hotels, a few months after the hotel joined the chain of hotels owned by Mr. Heinecke of Minor Intl.

I was told that William Heinecke lived in the Penthouse of the St Regis by a manager of that hotel, but that was a few years ago and I would not be surprised if he had other residences.

I knew about the St Regis, but only recently was I told that the Minor group also owned the JW Marriott on Sukhumvit.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by scented
I am certainly no regular at Anantara Siam Bangkok, but had a number of stays there throughout the years and I am familiar with StR. I wouldn't call it a major blow and I certainly don't think it was all that bad after the departure of FS. Actually I saw most of the familiar faces and they were equally caring. I really felt they continued to serve the loyal local community, as well as the many guests and travelers from around the world. What I was missing was consistency.

So it is true, I think, what you describe that the property had a lot of ups and downs, but I suspect this has more to do with the various GMs there and the back and forth. Titiya Chooto had an excellent track record during her FS tenure and knows how to run a successful operation in Thailand. I cannot comment on Patrick Both as I do not know him at all.

The problem of the hotel is first and foremost the many tour buses and groups they accept, which simply should not happen. At all. Then the hardware -- I had hoped Minor would invest more and earlier. I was usually in the Jim Thompson explorer suite, which was acceptable, although showing age. Now finally things seem to be moving forward, but these things demotivate even the best and most caring staff. Market in Bangkok also wasn't easy for a long time. I wish the owner had a more focused approach with this property, but it seemed they didn't know what they would do with it. But I don't believe all that many people left, why would they? FS on the river is far from finished.

There are some here who know this hotel inside out, MikeFromTokyo and vuittonsofstyle for example -- many valuable contributions over the years, they should know.
It’s sadly a reality in Bangkok that there are simply so many new hotels opening up, and there is a huge demand for hotel rooms from mass market tour groups, travel agencies, and MICE groups. Even Mandarin Oriental has busses of mainland Chinese tourists arriving. So, virtually every hotel has to manage to cater to different market segments simultaneously, and still be profitable.

At Anantara Siam Bangkok, if you are one of their high end guests, it is most definitely a luxury hotel of the highest order. They treat me so well, in fact, that I see no reason to even try some of their newer competition in the vicinity.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Oct 20, 2017 at 1:31 pm
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:51 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Would surprise me as well.
...but it's beautiful, at least from what's shown...

http://atelierdonatiencarratier.com/...kup-residence/

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:55 pm

I was only reporting what I heard from several managers working in various Bangkok hotels, a few months after the hotel joined the chain of hotels owned by Mr. Heinecke of Minor Intl.

I was told that William Heinecke lived in the Penthouse of the St Regis by a manager of that hotel, but that was a few years ago and I would not be surprised if he had other residences.

I knew about the St Regis, but only recently was I told that the Minor group also owned the JW Marriott on Sukhumvit.
Don’t believe everything you hear. Yes, there may had been some kinks that needed to be worked out when they transitioned to Anantara management, but it has prevailed as Bangkok’s best centrally located hotel.

I suspect his living in the penthouse was more of a PR piece. To the best of my knowledge the penthouse is still for sale, and I believe is also sometimes bookable as an hotel accommodation through StR.

Also, JW Marriott Bangkok definitely is NOT a Minor property. The former riverside Marriott and the Pattaya Marriott are still Minor properties, under Anantara and Avani flags (respectively). They also still own the JW Marriott Phuket.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:03 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
JW Marriott on Sukhumvit
The JW Marriott Bangkok is owned by The Erawan Group PLC.

Please see:

http://www.theerawan.com/en/our_busi...ts/jw_marriott

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:09 pm

I suspect his living in the penthouse was more of a PR piece. To the best of my knowledge the penthouse is still for sale, and I believe is also sometimes bookable as an hotel accommodation through StR.
Penthouse is often used for meetings, small receptions, etc. I think you are right about this.

I've stayed in the Penthouse and naturally, the quality and finishes are on an entirely different level compared to the rest of the hotel. It is that special. I was used to John Jacob Suites or the Royal Suite and the Penthouse (in the residences part of the tower) is unique. Different contractor, different designer and different investment. Definitely high end, hotel also does a great amenity set-up.

IIRC at least one other person on FT stayed there. Was it JohnRain?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:29 pm

Penthouse is often used for meetings, small receptions, etc. I think you are right about this.

I've stayed in the Penthouse and naturally, the quality and finishes are on an entirely different level compared to the rest of the hotel. It is that special. I was used to John Jacob Suites or the Royal Suite and the Penthouse (in the residences part of the tower) is unique. Different contractor, different designer and different investment. Definitely high end, hotel also does a great amenity set-up.

IIRC at least one other person on FT stayed there. Was it JohnRain?
If I could afford to buy the penthouse, I would love to live there myself. I would walk over to Anantara Siam every night to drink at Aqua, and also eat at Biscotti and Madison frequently. I’m already a regular, so to be able to just cross the street without getting in a car would be ideal!

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Oct 20, 2017 at 7:05 pm
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by uggboy
The JW Marriott Bangkok is owned by The Erawan Group PLC.

Please see:

http://www.theerawan.com/en/our_busi...ts/jw_marriott

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
It definitely looks that you are right on the ownership.

Either my source was erroneous or he was talking about the JW Marriott in Phuket and I misunderstood.

http://www.minorinternational.com/MBiz/Hotel.php
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:40 pm

I would not be able to say either way, but the manager from the St Regis, that I knew, used to see him very frequently. That was during the first years of the hotel. She was the one that had told me that he lived there.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:51 pm

deleted

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Oct 23, 2017 at 2:38 pm
Old Oct 21, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
During a recent StR, I was also told that the Penthouse is used by the owner.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:42 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
As a data point we generally always stay at the StR in top floor suites.

We decided to try the PH for one night into Asia and on our last night out. After the first night I cancelled the later stay. It just doesn't cut it.

I have full reviews in each thread https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...provement-2096 and https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...is-bangkok-334
bhrubin likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.