Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2016, 6:11 am

Programs: LH FTL
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Rates are quoted in USD?

In any case, I would highly recommend The Peninsula over S-L Krungthep for that small uptick in rate.
Nope, quoted in EUR and converted into USD - for your convenience
Old Sep 26, 2016, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by FlyDUS
Nope, quoted in EUR and converted into USD - for your convenience
For my convenience? FYI I live in Thailand, so THB is fine with me...
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:10 am
Suspended

Lol
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: LH FTL
Haha - just wanted to get it more tangible for those who are not familiar with EUR, as this was the original quotation
Old Sep 26, 2016, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by FlyDUS
Haha - just wanted to get it more tangible for those who are not familiar with EUR, as this was the original quotation

Now, back to the hotels, I highly recommend the Peninsula if the rates are acceptable to you. You should look into booking through a Pen Club or Virtuoso agent (such as the excellent one who just posted before you). Any room category at The Peninsula is spacious and very comfortable.

My other favorites are:

Mandarin Oriental (quite a bit more expensive)
Anantara Siam
Grand Hyatt Erawan

The latter two are centrally located, which is great for convenience, but for a leisure stay I usually much prefer being on the river.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by scented
The Peninsula is highly regarded here, and if you can stretch your budget to make it happen, you'd be very happy there.
Does this still really hold true? I haven't been in Bkk for quite a few years but last time I felt the Peninsula was rather dark and worn, and I haven't heard of any renovations since then.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:40 pm

The Riva Arun looks very nice and in its in a good position for visiting tourist sites. I haven't stay at the S-La for quite a few years but we used to stay in the Krungthep wing which was nice then at least and also very convenient for the river busses and the Skytrain. I much prefer to be by the river than near Siam or wherever.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 2:54 pm

Considering a very short stopover in Bangkok after returning from the Maldives/Dubai. Can't decide between the MO or the Siam. Not really interested in sightseeing or leaving the hotel, just looking for the best place to recharge before a long flight home. Prices very similar for both, but suites are significantly larger at the Siam.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Five Star Traveller
Considering a very short stopover in Bangkok after returning from the Maldives/Dubai. Can't decide between the MO or the Siam. Not really interested in sightseeing or leaving the hotel, just looking for the best place to recharge before a long flight home. Prices very similar for both, but suites are significantly larger at the Siam.
If you don't really leave the hotel perhaps the own pool at the villas at Siam is nice
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:45 pm

We were very positively surprised by the pen. Yes it is outdated however service was faultless.

We managed to get a great rate direct on their website which included daily massage per person. Pretty much brought the cost of the room down to 0.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Five Star Traveller
Siam! By far. Perfect place to sit and not leave. My wife and I were there for five days and we had to make ourselves leave the property.

Going back in a few weeks - same deal.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 6:34 pm

We love Siam Anantara (old FS). Prefer this location to MO and riverside. But we travel with children and like to be in the thick of the city in this area, we often have the bulk of our time at the Siam and then pop over to the river for a few nights to chill. The MO is great if you don't want to leave the hotel.
We have not stayed at the Pen yet though, but are considering it for our trip next year...
Also look at the Sukhothai, we haven't stayed here for many years but it's a resort feel in Bangkok, the location is not fantastic though due to being stuck in traffic and having to take a taxi to go anywhere, but t's a good place for relaxing.

Last edited by carls888; Sep 26, 2016 at 10:23 pm
Old Sep 26, 2016, 6:45 pm

Think we will go with the Siam. Thanks for all the recommendations!
Old Sep 26, 2016, 9:13 pm

I wouldn't stretch my budget to go with the Pen. Both of my stays were underwhelming. In my eyes not worth the money. Value-wise I found both the Horizon Club and the Krungthep Wing at the S-La to be better but found the hotel in general to be a bit noisy.
For a honeymoon, I would consider one of the nicer rooms at the Sukhothai (e.g. Exec Suite) or maybe a Garden Terrace Room at the Siam Anantara (which we stayed at quite a bit when it was a Four Seasons).

Last edited by cathaana; Sep 26, 2016 at 9:19 pm
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:10 am

We're at the Siam over Xmas - looking forward to it. Thence to SIN and the MO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.