Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2020, 6:37 pm

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
Thinking of changing my China trip to Thailand... Think Park Hyatt should get another chance or stick with Rosewood? I really don't like the covered pool at the Rosewood (or Waldorf).
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:33 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bluegatorade
Thinking of changing my China trip to Thailand... Think Park Hyatt should get another chance or stick with Rosewood? I really don't like the covered pool at the Rosewood (or Waldorf).
I rate the StR over the PH. Checked out of the PH after one night and cancelled future stays. My review is in the relevant thread.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:53 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by m0hamed
I rate the StR over the PH. Checked out of the PH after one night and cancelled future stays. My review is in the relevant thread.
PH has improved recently (particularly for service) in my experience so the gap has closed. Hardware is lower quality at PH than StR for sure, but StR is aging while PH is still fairly new so different people might prefer one over the other. I like to mix my stays rather than always go exclusively to the same place so I stay at both (and at WA too); while I think in absolute terms I see pros and cons to both, if price was the same I would have a preference for PH. However for the vast majority of dates StR is materially cheaper so it is often better value for the money.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:48 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by escape4
PH has improved recently (particularly for service) in my experience so the gap has closed. Hardware is lower quality at PH than StR for sure, but StR is aging while PH is still fairly new so different people might prefer one over the other. I like to mix my stays rather than always go exclusively to the same place so I stay at both (and at WA too); while I think in absolute terms I see pros and cons to both, if price was the same I would have a preference for PH. However for the vast majority of dates StR is materially cheaper so it is often better value for the money.
Perhaps we should give it another try, but the lack of double glazing and street noise in the PH suites were a dealbreaker for us.

We like the StR, tend to get upgraded to the top two floor suites and they treat us very well. Breakfast is a zoo, but that's the only issue.

We love the StR pool and spend the last day of Asian vacations there. The PH pool adjacent to the dining areas leaves a lot to be desired.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Perhaps we should give it another try, but the lack of double glazing and street noise in the PH suites were a dealbreaker for us.

We like the StR, tend to get upgraded to the top two floor suites and they treat us very well. Breakfast is a zoo, but that's the only issue.

We love the StR pool and spend the last day of Asian vacations there. The PH pool adjacent to the dining areas leaves a lot to be desired.
No doubt, windows and noise is not a strong point of PH. Breakfast at StR is very weak, not only it's a zoo, but seating arrangement is cramped and food quality is below non-luxury hotels. PH wins for breakfast by a mile. Pool at StR > PH, agreed.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:23 pm

Do any of these hotels have regular live music at their bars/restaurants?

I'm leaning toward the Rosewood. Would have booked PH as Glob but lack of Toto toilets put me off, and the room photos seemed generic. Finally, want to keep it under 500 USD per night. I took a glance at street view in front of Rosewood, and would I be correct to assume it's not a particularly pleasant neighborhood for walking and roaming? It's my first time in Bangkok, so any other tips would be gratefully appreciated, as I will only have two short evenings and one day (departure day with 10pm flight) for leisure. Any likelihood of using the gym/spa at Rosewood in evening before going to airport?
Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by princesakura

I'm leaning toward the Rosewood. Would have booked PH as Glob but lack of Toto toilets put me off, and the room photos seemed generic. Finally, want to keep it under 500 USD per night. I took a glance at street view in front of Rosewood, and would I be correct to assume it's not a particularly pleasant neighborhood for walking and roaming? It's my first time in Bangkok, so any other tips would be gratefully appreciated, as I will only have two short evenings and one day (departure day with 10pm flight) for leisure. Any likelihood of using the gym/spa at Rosewood in evening before going to airport?
Waldorf has Toto toilets, at least in the suites, not sure about entry level rooms. Neighborhood in front of WA is fine, same neighborhood as StR and Grand Hyatt, not far from shopping malls, quite good for first time visitor. Some rooms have great views of the sports club, better than the views from PH. You can get a room under 500 USD so it will meet your budget, and depending on dates you may be able to get a junior suite below 500 USD, it can happen when occupancy is lower and it depends how long in advance you book, pre-paid or flexible rate.

I have not stayed at Rosewood but when I saw pictures I thought exactly the same as you: bland and boring, there is something missing.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 5:48 am

Waldorf has Toto toilets, at least in the suites, not sure about entry level rooms. Neighborhood in front of WA is fine, same neighborhood as StR and Grand Hyatt, not far from shopping malls, quite good for first time visitor. Some rooms have great views of the sports club, better than the views from PH. You can get a room under 500 USD so it will meet your budget, and depending on dates you may be able to get a junior suite below 500 USD, it can happen when occupancy is lower and it depends how long in advance you book, pre-paid or flexible rate.

I have not stayed at Rosewood but when I saw pictures I thought exactly the same as you: bland and boring, there is something missing.
Disagree on Waldorf's location being good for first time visitors unless you have a personal driver to go everywhere and don't mind sitting in traffic for half your stay. PH and Rosewood locations are more convenient as they are closer to the BTS. And if you're staying in the Sukhumvit area, all the street scene are similar. Embrace the grittiness!
Old Jan 25, 2020, 6:38 am

Disagree on Waldorf's location being good for first time visitors unless you have a personal driver to go everywhere and don't mind sitting in traffic for half your stay. PH and Rosewood locations are more convenient as they are closer to the BTS. And if you're staying in the Sukhumvit area, all the street scene are similar. Embrace the grittiness!
Well we will agree to disagree .

WA is 5 minute walk to Ratchadamri BTS station for the Silom line and 5 minute walk to Chit Lom BTS station for the Sukhumvit line; having easy access to both lines is certainly not a negative. I don't dispute that PH and Rosewood have great locations as well, in some ways better no doubt but the difference is marginal; having to transfer to Siam for access to Silom line is not as good as hotels close to Siam station, arguably the city center. StR has direct access to Ratchadamri so it's great too, but WA is not far from there.

In any event, my point is that claiming that WA will require a personal driver is misleading information for people who have never been to BKK. Heck, walking from WA to PH is less than 15 minutes so until the day I am 80 years old I will not think PH and WA are so different locations that one is great and the other one is bad, even in 40C weather Not mentioning that taxis are so cheap in BKK that if you travel as a couple, taxi is arguably better than BTS unless you are on a very tight budget, and if you stay at PH/Rosewood/WA/StR it's quite unlikely!
Old Jan 25, 2020, 7:14 am

Well we will agree to disagree .

WA is 5 minute walk to Ratchadamri BTS station for the Silom line and 5 minute walk to Chit Lom BTS station for the Sukhumvit line; having easy access to both lines is certainly not a negative. I don't dispute that PH and Rosewood have great locations as well, in some ways better no doubt but the difference is marginal; having to transfer to Siam for access to Silom line is not as good as hotels close to Siam station, arguably the city center. StR has direct access to Ratchadamri so it's great too, but WA is not far from there.

In any event, my point is that claiming that WA will require a personal driver is misleading information for people who have never been to BKK. Heck, walking from WA to PH is less than 15 minutes so until the day I am 80 years old I will not think PH and WA are so different locations that one is great and the other one is bad, even in 40C weather Not mentioning that taxis are so cheap in BKK that if you travel as a couple, taxi is arguably better than BTS unless you are on a very tight budget, and if you stay at PH/Rosewood/WA/StR it's quite unlikely!
Why are you taking the Silom line? There's nothing on that line . WA is not a five minute walk to Chit Lom station. It's a less than ten minute walk to Chit Lom, and then another five minute walk to the actual station on the skybridges. I did not claim WA requires a personal driver. WA is far from BTS given the good hotels that are right on the BTS line should you choose to be in Sukhumvit, or the good hotels on the river should you choose to just lounge most of the time at the hotel / by the river.

RE taxis cost - yes they are cheap if you don't value your time. BTS is the most efficient method of transit, and being farther than necessary from the BTS is inefficient.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 7:29 am

Why are you taking the Silom line? There's nothing on that line . WA is not a five minute walk to Chit Lom station. It's a less than ten minute walk to Chit Lom, and then another five minute walk to the actual station on the skybridges. I did not claim WA requires a personal driver. WA is far from BTS given the good hotels that are right on the BTS line should you choose to be in Sukhumvit, or the good hotels on the river should you choose to just lounge most of the time at the hotel / by the river.

RE taxis cost - yes they are cheap if you don't value your time. BTS is the most efficient method of transit, and being farther than necessary from the BTS is inefficient.
LOL I know what you mean. I am not taking the Silom line now, but on my first trip to BKK I did = access to riverboats and temples by the river. Hence my comment regarding first time visitors in BKK.

Google Maps indicates exactly 5 minute walk from WA to Chit Lom station, and it does not even reflect the shortcut from the underground parking lot behind Grand Hyatt hotel so I stand by my comment about 5 minutes my friend! For healthy walkers at least

Regarding your claim that WA requires a personal driver then I admit perhaps I need to improve my reading skills, that said in my humble opinion it's not "far" from BTS if the walk is only 5 minutes, and regarding travel time keep in mind that for some destinations BTS requires a walk after getting out of BTS whereas taxi most likely would not if you get dropped off at the right place, so depending on the target, taxi is not necessarily a time inefficient mode of transport unless you are going somewhere right besides the exit of a BTS station. For Emerald Palace 100% sure taxi is quicker than BTS/boat/walk regardless if you originate from WA or PH or wherever in that area.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 8:32 am

LOL I know what you mean. I am not taking the Silom line now, but on my first trip to BKK I did = access to riverboats and temples by the river. Hence my comment regarding first time visitors in BKK.

Google Maps indicates exactly 5 minute walk from WA to Chit Lom station, and it does not even reflect the shortcut from the underground parking lot behind Grand Hyatt hotel so I stand by my comment about 5 minutes my friend! For healthy walkers at least

Regarding your claim that WA requires a personal driver then I admit perhaps I need to improve my reading skills, that said in my humble opinion it's not "far" from BTS if the walk is only 5 minutes, and regarding travel time keep in mind that for some destinations BTS requires a walk after getting out of BTS whereas taxi most likely would not if you get dropped off at the right place, so depending on the target, taxi is not necessarily a time inefficient mode of transport unless you are going somewhere right besides the exit of a BTS station. For Emerald Palace 100% sure taxi is quicker than BTS/boat/walk regardless if you originate from WA or PH or wherever in that area.
Okay I guess we can agree to agree. When I tried to take shortcuts from Waldorf to Chit Lom I got lost in the Grand Hyatt maze. I just booked two nights at the WA on my own trip. We'll give this property another shot I guess.
escape4 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 3:18 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Let’s not forget the StR has direct access to the BTS.

After 12 years we only took it to Siam Paragon for the novelty on our last trip as you can walk on the raised walkways.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I'm leaning toward the Rosewood. Would have booked PH as Glob but lack of Toto toilets put me off, and the room photos seemed generic. Finally, Iwant to keep it under 500 USD per night. I took a glance at street view in front of Rosewood, and would I be correct to assume it's not a particularly pleasant neighborhood for walking and roaming? It's my first time in Bangkok, so any other tips would be gratefully appreciated, as I will only have two short evenings and one day (departure day with 10pm flight) for leisure. Any likelihood of using the gym/spa at Rosewood in evening before going to airport?
Rosewood is in a decent location. You can use the BTS to get to Centralworld (walk also possible via the ground sideqalk and then up into the Skywalk) or visit a Thai food market near the train tracks. Can also do the Eatthai in Central Embassy.

Rosewood would certainly let you use the gym before a night flight. Maybe even let you keep your room if you were booked through Rosewood Elite.

I've stayed at PH and found the decor to be too minimalist and generic for a Park Hyatt. The lack of washlets just further shows that the owners cheaped out on the hotel. A top Bangkok luxury property should have them in every room from standard to the Presidential suite.

Room appearances and decor are going to be subjective but I liked Rosewood. It was tastefully decorated and felt very homely compared to our suites at the PH. Everything was Luxury Forum worthy.

PH

Last edited by Aventine; Jan 25, 2020 at 8:53 pm
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:17 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Aventine

I've stayed at PH and found the decor to be too minimalist and generic for a Park Hyatt. The lack of washlets just further shows that the owners cheaped out on the hotel. A top Bangkok luxury property should have them in every room from standard to the Presidential suite.
As mentioned in the other thread, unfortunately the same applies to the Rosewood. Washlets in suites only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.