Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:21 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
The Anantara Siam is a nice hotel, with great F&B offerings. I am not a fan of their pool access rooms imo as I find the AC noise a big nuisance 24/7. One more option for you to consider, is the Siam Kempinski right behind paragon. You have to cross through the mall to get to the BTS, so a bit further than the StRegis but you are indoor so A/C the whole way, and you get both lines at the Siam Station. Depending on your budget the pool cabana rooms and duplex pool cabana suites are amazing imo considering you're in the middle of Bangkok. For me they're the best room in Bangkok. Breakfast is very good (the benedicts eggs with crab are to die for), and so is their club lounge.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:52 pm

I will be back at The Siam for a few nights next week on my way to Bali. Has anyone eaten at the street food market nearby (across the street?)

Im looking for some great dining experiences too. I wouldnt go back to Nahm-unlike some of the comments here, I found it incredibly bland! I've been to Jay Fai and loved it but want to try something new. My last experence at Sala Rim Naan was pretty much ruined by all of the random tourist coming in to take pictures -I dont think they were dining or staying at the hotel. Anyway, any recommendations for the new and interesting?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by cakegirl
I will be back at The Siam for a few nights next week on my way to Bali. Has anyone eaten at the street food market nearby (across the street?)

Im looking for some great dining experiences too. I wouldnt go back to Nahm-unlike some of the comments here, I found it incredibly bland! I've been to Jay Fai and loved it but want to try something new. My last experence at Sala Rim Naan was pretty much ruined by all of the random tourist coming in to take pictures -I dont think they were dining or staying at the hotel. Anyway, any recommendations for the new and interesting?
A few months ago I decided to try Mr Joe - excellent guay jub and the pork was amazing. We ended up buying two plates of the crispy pork. Videos of it made the rounds on Facebook and YouTube, had some friends tell me that I should go try it. When I visited my friend and I were the only foreigners there, so it doesn't look like the extra exposure from Facebook/YouTube increased traffic from random tourists. Not a high class place by any means, but delicious food.

https://guide.michelin.com/th/en/ban...joe/restaurant
Old May 8, 2018, 5:47 am

After having done quite a bit of comparison and the conclusion that the top tier hotels in BKK are a bit too expensive for my dates, I have singled out the Athenee Hotel (SPG Luxury Collection) and the Anantara Siam, both at club level.
I haven't stayed in those hotels before, pricing is very similar, location is comparable as well. Any particular insights into which one is better? Since this is for leisure and I travel with family, nice pool area is particularly important as are the evening canapes in the club lounge as we tend to skip dinner when traveling with our daughter.
Old May 8, 2018, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by creflo
After having done quite a bit of comparison and the conclusion that the top tier hotels in BKK are a bit too expensive for my dates, I have singled out the Athenee Hotel (SPG Luxury Collection) and the Anantara Siam, both at club level.
I haven't stayed in those hotels before, pricing is very similar, location is comparable as well. Any particular insights into which one is better? Since this is for leisure and I travel with family, nice pool area is particularly important as are the evening canapes in the club lounge as we tend to skip dinner when traveling with our daughter.
I think you will be fine at either hotel, but I am less experienced with the Athénée.

Anantara Siam is my regular hotel and I absolutely love it. The club management is the best of the best. You will not want to skip dinner given the quality of the food, but you can order room service from the full menu of any restaurant as well. The club service and canapés are also very nice.

The swimming pool is of a standard rectangular design. I particularly like it because unlike some of the fancier swimming pools around, this one actually has a deep end that you can dive into - which is very refreshing - and it is also possible to swim laps. The poolside service is great, and they have children’s activities and babysitting available.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

I think you will be fine at either hotel, but I am less experienced with the Athénée.

Anantara Siam is my regular hotel and I absolutely love it. The club management is the best of the best. You will not want to skip dinner given the quality of the food, but you can order room service from the full menu of any restaurant as well. The club service and canapés are also very nice.

The swimming pool is of a standard rectangular design. I particularly like it because unlike some of the fancier swimming pools around, this one actually has a deep end that you can dive into - which is very refreshing - and it is also possible to swim laps. The poolside service is great, and they have children’s activities and babysitting available.
Thanks!
Old May 9, 2018, 7:23 pm

I've stayed at Anantara after the rebrand - pretty good experience, except for the noise coming from the restaurant through the courtyard atrium. If I choose to stay here again, I'd definitely ask for a room with door not facing the courtyard.
Old May 10, 2018, 8:59 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
I consistently get the most positive client feedback on The Siam...Nicolas is just a fantastic GM and very hands on. He usually replies to requests/emails within hours so I've also really enjoyed working with him and the team. Sure, it's a bit out of the way but could be a great hideout and their pool suites are great. Second highest praised property is probably the MO but I just think the dress code can be a deal breaker for some. Some of the Garden Rooms and Suites are gorgeous, though. Peninsula has seen better days, though.
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by creflo
Anatara Siam has a promotion right now for directly booked rooms. It's complimentary high tea in their lobby for every day of your stay.
Old May 11, 2018, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

What THB/day value would you place on Kasara club access? I'm thinking about getting a Siam suite there for our nine night stay. I'm not sure, however, of how much daytime time we will be spending in the hotel as the wife and I are eager to explore Bangkok and the surrounding areas. Might just get a Deluxe Room w/ breakfast if that is the case since there is also a promo for high tea every day of the stay running right now.

I've reached out directly to the hotel about what snacks and drinks are served and they say that someone from the Kasara lounge will email me with the details but no response has been given in a few weeks now.

Last edited by eldy; May 11, 2018 at 1:39 pm Reason: Added second paragraph
Old May 11, 2018, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by eldy
What THB/day value would you place on Kasara club access? I'm thinking about getting a Siam suite there for our nine night stay. I'm not sure, however, of how much daytime time we will be spending in the hotel as the wife and I are eager to explore Bangkok and the surrounding areas. Might just get a Deluxe Room w/ breakfast if that is the case since there is also a promo for high tea every day of the stay running right now.

I've reached out directly to the hotel about what snacks and drinks are served and they say that someone from the Kasara lounge will email me with the details but no response has been given in a few weeks now.
The dollar value is difficult to answer. It’s an excellent service for guests on business, or who want to have the lounge to use on leisure stays. I usually do not opt for club access, unless it is included with my reservation, because I prefer to use the hotel’s restaurants, room service, and bar instead. And I usually eat and drink so much already that I would not want canapés or extra glasses of wine!

But everyone is different. And, if you and your wife like to have a few drinks every evening and some canapés in a quiet atmosphere, the club option is probably economical compared to what wine and cocktails will cost in other outlets.

They often have promptions in which the Kasara lounge access is included for all bookings of Junior Suite and above. I highly recommend booking a Junior Suite or higher, especially if you have a child with you. A poolside cabana room or suite is also a great choice. But, if you will be spending less time in the room, a Premier room would also have room for a roll away bed for your child.

Be sure to join GHA/Anantara Privilege, as you automatically get a 10% discount off of published rates when booking directly.
Old May 15, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, AA EXP, UA Gold
We have three people traveling together in early September and I was wondering if it would be better to get 2 rooms or 1 larger sized suite.
Are there any suites that has three beds? or at least one king size and one smaller bed?
We would prefer to stay near asoke, siam or thonglor area. I have stayed at Peninsula and river area was way out, Conrad was little far away from rail although we took the shuttle often. Enjoyed the Westin Grand location the most.
Any suggestions? I only have Gold in SPG and Hilton so not as important staying in these chains. trying to stay at or under ~$200USD/night

Last edited by VoiD; May 15, 2018 at 3:18 pm
Old May 18, 2018, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
The Siam is also my pick as tops in BKK. I am considering staying at The Peninsula next time, since BKK is the only Pen I haven't stayed at yet. Wondering what people think of it.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 8:23 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
The Siam is also my pick as tops in BKK. I am considering staying at The Peninsula next time, since BKK is the only Pen I haven't stayed at yet. Wondering what people think of it.
Love the Siam (and Nicolas) here and MO second...but Pen (though, I'm a Pen fan, ironically, not MO) isn't what it once was. Go for a night, check it off of the list and go back to Siam
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:38 am

Programs: Not stuck with an Alliance anymore, Star gold, OW Saph
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
We are staying at the Pen more than on month every year since 2003 ans still at the Top, the swiming pool is very nice with it's quiet zone and Bale, superb Chineese restaurant and Thai one. A good trick it's to dine on the terrace of the Lobby (most of the time alone).
After staying in Suite or Grand Balcony room, we prefer the last one for the Balcony not as big as suite of course but the balcony is a huge perk for us where you can sit have a glass etc....
EuropeanPete likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.