Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

My favorite, by a mile, is Anantara Siam Bangkok. The way they treat me as a regular, nothing else even compares.
Your favorite is about to get even better:

http://www.asiatraveltips.com/news17...mBangkok.shtml
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by UASPG
Your favorite is about to get even better:

http://www.asiatraveltips.com/news17...mBangkok.shtml
Yes, I have already stayed in renovated accommodation. They have done an excellent job.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: Not stuck with an Alliance anymore, Star gold, OW Saph
The Pen is our favorite since 2003. We spent few weeks every year there and it's always a plus to be close to the river and not in the crowded city center.
My only concern it's the lobby which is not very friendly but we don't spend our life there!
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Abyssin
The Pen is our favorite since 2003. We spent few weeks every year there and it's always a plus to be close to the river and not in the crowded city center.
My only concern it's the lobby which is not very friendly but we don't spend our life there!
Indeed, as a long time regular in the past, I don’t think I have ever actually sat in the lobby. Used the lobby terrace for a late night nightcap sometimes, though.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:39 am

I assure you, it has greatly improved under Anantara management. It’s better now than ever. I can tell you that many of the best people have been there for years, and a couple of them virtually since the hotel first opened. Additionally they have hired other great people from other hotels, who are now very happy at Anantara Siam. It’s extremely well run, and staff are very well taken care of. That’s not my opinion, it’s what many of them have told me themselves. And I believe it because it invariably shows when an hotel is well managed.

By the way, the owner also owns the St. Regis, but that is not in fact his primary residence to the best of my knowledge.
Patrick Both, GM at Anantara BK is very good indeed. The hotel has really changed since Anatara first took over management and money has been spent very well in the public areas. I saw some of the refurbished rooms and they look much better than before, but now they need to redo the suites, as even Jim Thompson Explorer Suite is looking a bit dated.

Bill Heinecke does have a penthouse apartment in the nextdoor St Regis, but then, he has residences all over the place, also in many of the hotels/resorts he owns in Thailand and elsewhere, such as at FS Chiang Mai.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Patrick Both, GM at Anantara BK is very good indeed. The hotel has really changed since Anatara first took over management and money has been spent very well in the public areas. I saw some of the refurbished rooms and they look much better than before, but now they need to redo the suites, as even Jim Thompson Explorer Suite is looking a bit dated.

Bill Heinecke does have a penthouse apartment in the nextdoor St Regis, but then, he has residences all over the place, also in many of the hotels/resorts he owns in Thailand and elsewhere, such as at FS Chiang Mai.
I am also very impressed with Patrick Both, and also other management including the F&B director and assistant director. For me, it is really the only option in Bangkok for me these days along with Mandarin Oriental. The suites are in the process of being refurbished, and the Explorer Suite will also be refreshed, I am told. The beautiful Deluxe Corner suites and the Cabanas, which are my two favorite categories, are going to be brought up to date and refurbished without any major changes to their already beautiful designs.

I see that the St.Regis has more than one penthouse unit. So, he must occupy one of them.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Oct 23, 2017 at 2:30 pm
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:21 am

I am also very impressed with Patrick Both, and also other management including the F&B director and assistant director. For me, it is really the only option in Bangkok for me these days along with Mandarin Oriental. The suites are in the process of being refurbished, and the Explorer Suite will also be refreshed, I am told. The beautiful Deluxe Corner suites and the Cabanas, which are my two favorite categories, are going to be brought up to date and refurbished without any major changes to their already beautiful designs.

I see that the St.Regis has more than one penthouse unit. So, he must occupy one of them.
This is true - but he has the nicest
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
How is the Mandarin Oriental Bangkok nowadays? Will have an upcoming stay this Dec. Haven't been back for like 8 years.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

luxurybangkokapartment.com/BuildingEle.html
53 'sold' st regis condos including 8 penthouses
45 regular 3/4BR on 15 floors means 3 per floor
some unit owners added to hotel inventory
presume guests have access to 24th floor pool

curious to see re upcoming FS/MO BKK condos
although FS floorplans seemed mostly odd

at MO, state room and royal suite look great

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 25, 2017 at 3:12 pm
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by BENLEE
How is the Mandarin Oriental Bangkok nowadays? Will have an upcoming stay this Dec. Haven't been back for like 8 years.
Better than ever, especially if you have not been back for 8 years. Beautifully renovated garden and author's wings + big improvements in food throughout + emhanced main Spa with relaxation room etc, and 2nd spa in Garden Wing for quick treatments. River Wing is next on their list, so best to stay in the Garden Wing if you can.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:47 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Better than ever, especially if you have not been back for 8 years. Beautifully renovated garden and author's wings + big improvements in food throughout + emhanced main Spa with relaxation room etc, and 2nd spa in Garden Wing for quick treatments. River Wing is next on their list, so best to stay in the Garden Wing if you can.
Do you know yet when the River Wing renovation is expected to begin and/or conclude?

We visited the Oriental in May 2009 for a very nice but very formal high tea, after having visited (and far more enjoyed) the Peninsula and while staying (and very much enjoying our stay) at the Sukhothai. We weren't so impressed with the Oriental's rooms/suites, actually--they were way too dated at the time--and we despised the inherent formality in such hot and humid conditions (no shorts allowed after 6 pm or so, as I recall).

I'd be interested to try a stay based on so many herein loving the Oriental...but only if the renovations are completed and if they don't have that no shorts rule.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Do you know yet when the River Wing renovation is expected to begin and/or conclude?

I'd be interested to try a stay based on so many herein loving the Oriental...but only if the renovations are completed and if they don't have that no shorts rule.
Yes, and their AC is right up your alley aka freezing!!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:25 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Aventine
Yes, and their AC is right up your alley aka freezing!!
It will come down to the Oriental being fully renovated, no more "no shorts" rule after sunset, and how well the air con works...all compared with the exceedingly high service standard I'm likely to receive being Plat100 Ambassador status at the St. Regis. Surprisingly, I've never seen nor stayed at the St. Regis here, either.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
It will come down to the Oriental being fully renovated, no more "no shorts" rule after sunset, and how well the air con works...all compared with the exceedingly high service standard I'm likely to receive being Plat100 Ambassador status at the St. Regis. Surprisingly, I've never seen nor stayed at the St. Regis here, either.
The Oriental is excellent, but will certainly be the significantly more expensive option if you book a suite there as opposed to receiving an upgrade to one at StR. If your Plat100 status is still in effect at the time of your visit, I’d take advantage of it.

Locals will not wear shorts in the evening at any hotel, unless perhaps if sitting on the pool terrace. Whether, or how strictly that is enforced as a rule varies from hotel to hotel.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:18 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

The Oriental is excellent, but will certainly be the significantly more expensive option if you book a suite there as opposed to receiving an upgrade to one at StR. If your Plat100 status is still in effect at the time of your visit, I’d take advantage of it.
Indeed! My guess is that, all other things being equal, we likely would stay at the StR. My husband and I far preferred the Pen when we last visited, so it would be up to my hubby--spending more for the Pen or even more for the Oriental or getting max value by staying at the StR.

But I'd love to see these renovated rooms and suites at the Oriental that everyone raves about. We were very underwhelmed in 2009. Same reaction to the Oriental then as we had to Le Bristol in Paris a few weeks ago, actually.

Locals will not wear shorts in the evening at any hotel, unless perhaps if sitting on the pool terrace. Whether, or how strictly that is enforced as a rule varies from hotel to hotel.
It's not the locals I'm concerned with as a hotel guest. There was no "no shorts" rule for the public areas/lobby at the Sukhothai OR Peninsula when we were there last (2009), but there was at the Oriental. To each, their own, of course...but that level of trite formality will never appeal to us.

Locals don't wear shorts in Paris, either--yet there is no "no shorts" rule after sunset in the lobbies of a single Paris luxury hotel. And Paris merits formality for me far more than hot and humid SE Asia!

Last edited by bhrubin; Oct 25, 2017 at 3:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.