Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by scented
I don't mind outsourcing all that much, just the results so far did not blow me away. It is toxic for the team, it creates an endless array of new problems to deal with and at the end of the day it's not even all that effective. Why they would do this in Thailand -- I don't know. Some here know more about the ownership about this particular hotel (MikeFromTokyo) -- profitability? I could never imagine this at MO or The Siam, where the team is like a big family. It just further proves that PH will be a successful business hotel, but not so interesting for this forum here. And if other PH hotel head the same direction, we can write them off.
I am afraid there is nothing interesting or noteworthy about the ownership of the Park Hyatt. I expect it to be an acceptable upmarket business hotel, but as you say, of little interest to any regulars on this forum.

After all, are you going to spend your money there instead of at Mandarin Oriental? Or even if you wanted a Hyatt in the CBD, at the wonderful spa cottages at the Erawan? I didn't think so...
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by callmedtop
What other PH properties outsource, and to what extent?
Park Hyatt Hamburg -- housekeeping, restaurants, security, spa
Park Hyatt Paris -- housekeeping (Michael Jauslin could still have nightmares, considering they went on a loud strike in front of the hotel which was all over the news, plus they had a lawsuit after a royal from the Middle East raped a maid)
Park Hyatt Tokyo -- don't know which department

I once had a great conversation at PH Hamburg with a gentleman from Pakistan IIRC. He was kind and gave his best, although the circumstances of his work were not the best. He told me he's employed by a temp agency, has 30 minutes to clean one room and his salary is 5 EUR per room or 10 EUR per hour. No way to survive on 10 EUR/h in Germany. Also he had zero chance to be employed by the hotel, let alone to move up to supervisor level. The hotel was lucky that despite this treatment, he gave his best. I can only imagine how lousy the work must be carried out if they had someone else doing the job. Not everyone is so dedicated. The way he described the situation to me it became very apparent that the staff morale was around zero due to all the outsourcing. Hyatt seems to like these cost cutting measures. Really bad.

I'm sure others know more Hyatt hotels doing that.

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
After all, are you going to spend your money there instead of at Mandarin Oriental? Or even if you wanted a Hyatt in the CBD, at the wonderful spa cottages at the Erawan? I didn't think so...
True -- we're spoilt for choice in Bangkok
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:43 pm

And you're absolutely correct re outsourcing. Staff morale is the cornerstone of any successful hotel, and just shows why Mandarin Oriental is peerless in this city. By outsourcing, PH is consigning itself to mediocrity before it has even opened its doors for business. I've already written it off - would love to be proven wrong - but I think that's unlikely.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 5:26 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
And you're absolutely correct re outsourcing. Staff morale is the cornerstone of any successful hotel, and just shows why Mandarin Oriental is peerless in this city. By outsourcing, PH is consigning itself to mediocrity before it has even opened its doors for business. I've already written it off - would love to be proven wrong - but I think that's unlikely.
Thanks MikeFromTokyo.

True, but MO is usually also one of the most expensive hotels to stay in Bangkok which brings certain expectations by guests which pay "a lot" and this brings of course the opportunity for the hotel to pay their staff [hopefully] well and retain them accordingly IMHO.

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Apr 10, 2017, 5:36 pm

Well said scented, thanks for pointing this out, but not many luxury hotels in Bangkok are talked about here on FT in this forum IMHO. While there seems to be a lot of choice of hotels in Bangkok some of them aren't discussed at all at the moment or only in the periphery, beside a few selected properties incl. the Siam, MO, Peninsula etc. Actually it would be interesting to be informed about a broader spectrum of luxury hotels in Bangkok, if there's interest of course.

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:20 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
Originally Posted by uggboy
Well said scented, thanks for pointing this out, but not many luxury hotels in Bangkok are talked about here on FT in this forum IMHO. While there seems to be a lot of choice of hotels in Bangkok some of them aren't discussed at all at the moment or only in the periphery, beside a few selected properties incl. the Siam, MO, Peninsula etc. Actually it would be interesting to be informed about a broader spectrum of luxury hotels in Bangkok, if there's interest of course.

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
I've stayed mainly at the Sofitel on Sukhumvit, the Sheraton Grande right in front and the Grand Hyatt. All three are fine properties. The Sheraton could use some renovation, the Grand Hyatt could use better service and the Sofitel could use a better restaurant. These are the only negative things I have to say about each. I'd still rate them a solid 4 out of 5.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:40 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
How's the Sukhothai?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:07 am

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 2018 at 10:39 am
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by QPRfan
I stayed there in 2011 and liked all aspects of the hotel. However it's location is a lot quieter than the Pen/MO. Since then it has left the LHW group, and I don't know if there have been changes
The HKR International Ltd. from Hong Kong bought the Sukhothai Hotel a few ago and that's when they left LHW.

It's a beautiful hotel/resort and their La Scala Restaurant is outstanding, over the past few years the Sukhathai became famous for their chocolate brunch and other culinary offerings with locals, visitors to Bangkok and expats alike.

Sukhothai Residences are also available, please see:

http://www.hkri.com/icms2/template?s...3&article=2005

Please see:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/print/330102/
http://www.hkri.com/icms2/template?s...=2&submenuon=5

As far as we know the Sukhothai earlier was twinned [same owners at the time, I guess] with the Sentosa Resort in Singapore, this hotel is now the Sofitel Sentosa. All two belonged/had been branded under the Beaufort hotels umbrella. The Sofitel Sentosa is now owned by the Royal Group of Singapore, while the Sukhothai in Bangkok is now owned by HKR International, Hong Kong instead.

Please see:

https://alvinology.com/2014/04/19/ro...t-spa-in-2015/
http://www.royalgroup.sg/index.php?fx=hospitality

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by SeamasterLux
I've stayed mainly at the Sofitel on Sukhumvit, the Sheraton Grande right in front and the Grand Hyatt. All three are fine properties. The Sheraton could use some renovation, the Grand Hyatt could use better service and the Sofitel could use a better restaurant. These are the only negative things I have to say about each. I'd still rate them a solid 4 out of 5.
Thanks SeamasterLux for your insights, it's good to know and it's equally important that more properties are getting discussed here in this forum as Bangkok offers a wide variety of upscale/luxury hotels. Sofitel over the past few years has grown their niche in Bangkok which also includes the Sofitel So offerings, it's their equivalent to what Starwood/Marriott offers with their W hotels, which has also an outpost in Bangkok and includes the former Russian Embassy in their complex, it's a gorgeous setting IMHO.

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^

Last edited by uggboy; Apr 11, 2017 at 5:20 am Reason: Added missing letter
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:02 am

I stayed there in 2011 and liked all aspects of the hotel. However it's location is a lot quieter than the Pen/MO. Since then it has left the LHW group, and I don't know if there have been changes
The Sukhothai also counts the Banyan Tree and the Como Metropolitan as their direct neighbours in the Sathorn district of the city which also leads to the W Bangkok walking towards Chong Nonsi BTS station.

Any info about how is the Como Metropolitan or Banyan Tree?

We remember our stay at the Banyan Tree in 2014 fondly, our Club room, the views from the Vertigo Restaurant and Moon Bar, the club lounge offerings and one of us enjoyed a massage at the Banyan Tree Spa. It's an iconic hotel IMHO due to design, height and their unique Banyan Tree "calm" environment concept.

Please see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...nyan-tree.html

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:08 am
Mandarin Oriental Contributor BadgeAman 10+ Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
How's the Sukhothai?
Have stayed a few times , very pleasant on a sizable compound .
Most recent stay was last year .
Was one of Adrian ZECHA ' s earlier projects .

Near COMO ' s Metropolitan which is supposed to be nice but have not stayed ..

Pleased to be staying here if not wanting to by the river .
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:22 am

COMO Metropolitan BK has had a full room refurbishment and I thought the rooms were really comfortable and with plenty of space. The GM and deputy GM are both from GHM - The Legian when it was great - so service is unusually good. Best thing is the food, especially in Nahm, which has the most moreish Thai food in the city, IMHO. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
COMO Metropolitan BK has had a full room refurbishment and I thought the rooms were really comfortable and with plenty of space. The GM and deputy GM are both from GHM - The Legian when it was great - so service is unusually good. Best thing is the food, especially in Nahm, which has the most moreish Thai food in the city, IMHO. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.
Thank you vuittonofstyle for your update, it's good to know about the refurbishment, GM/Deputy GM and overall service/food at Nahm standards.

Sadly the COMO Metropolitan Bangkok isn't much talked about in this forum, so it's actually memorable to read/learn something about this property.

Any news about Glow and their breakfast offerings/diversity of items incl. buffet/a la carte/quality?

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Apr 12, 2017, 5:16 am

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
How's the Sukhothai?
Sukhothai is a nice enough option in Sathorn, but not a 5 star hotel imo. More like 4/4.5. Has a beautiful entrance, and the 1 cat above entry level suites are gorgeously decorated. But the pool is quite lacking, and for tourists the location is a big draw back. However, prices start at about $100, so its quite cheap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.