Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

New Luxury Resort in Madagascar - Miavana

New Luxury Resort in Madagascar - Miavana

Old Sep 20, 17, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
A+ review - more than thankful you had the privilege of paying $5k a night for this experience on our behalf!
FlyerEC and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 20, 17, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

detailed and enjoyable as always!

Originally Posted by MacMyDay View Post
one of the best villas I've ever stayed in, very good food, very good service.

The island is not private. It was already inhabited and will continue to be so.
interesting, planned GHM maldives also inhabited island, and neither it nor miavana are like the massive islands off east african coast which are inhabited

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
stunning villa, with it easily surpassing Laucala, and up there with North Island and Iniala

full-time helicopter pilots that use the resorts own helicopters

three stood out: my partners wine tasting with the sommelier, taking a complimentary, ~20 minute, helicopter transfer to another island to go trekking to see black lemurs, and whale watching

Steve Goodman, an expert in wildlife was doing the tour

Booked with: Charity Buzz
heh >

I shall once again take one for the team of FlyerTalk and pop along here in September to let you know if it's worth your time.
Originally Posted by Epicura View Post
Lovely, so you were the one outbidding me yesterday
Guilty!
back in 2010/etc charitybuzz seemed to have great deals all the time, including aman residences. are top luxury deals still frequent enough to keep an eye on it?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 20, 17 at 11:39 am
Old Sep 20, 17, 11:44 pm

The first review on TripAdvisor -

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUs...ECK_RATES_CONT

The reviewer seems to have stayed at some of 'our' places.
uggboy likes this.
Old Sep 21, 17, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
back in 2010/etc charitybuzz seemed to have great deals all the time, including aman residences. are top luxury deals still frequent enough to keep an eye on it?
I've only ever seen 4 worth bidding on since I became away of it last year, but I was recently invited to a Private Clients group and am due to speak to them next week, so I'll see what pops up.

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle View Post
This all goes to confirm that you are a hotel masochist, Tom.
Now I know why so many travel agents would not sell Cheval Blanc Randheli until it had been open a year. Openings are not for the faint hearted. Openings in a country without any existing similar properties is for the insane.
​​
vuittonsofstyle and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 21, 17, 3:39 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

A few nights at the Connaught and you'll be fine @MacMyDay. Sorry that place ended up in the bottom 10 worst FT luxury resorts and hotel stays.
Old Sep 21, 17, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
A few nights at the Connaught and you'll be fine @MacMyDay. Sorry that place ended up in the bottom 10 worst FT luxury resorts and hotel stays.
I wouldn't go that far. We still had a good time and there are definitely things to appreciate, but when you choose to price somewhere at that point, you must expect the highest scrutiny possible. If they launched at ~$2000/n, whilst still very high and the same faults would exist, the expectations are not the same. If they also communicated the issues prior to arrival, rather than trying to ignore them and even promote them, that would have have made a big difference too. Yet to consider the rates introductory and have them going up in January, when nearly all the issues will still exist....boy, they must hate their customers.
Old Sep 21, 17, 6:22 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I wouldn't go that far. We still had a good time and there are definitely things to appreciate, but when you choose to price somewhere at that point, you must expect the highest scrutiny possible. If they launched at ~$2000/n, whilst still very high and the same faults would exist, the expectations are not the same. If they also communicated the issues prior to arrival, rather than trying to ignore them and even promote them, that would have have made a big difference too. Yet to consider the rates introductory and have them going up in January, when nearly all the issues will still exist....boy, they must hate their customers.
A lot of the money probably went into the choppa.

At that rate, the toilets should been air conditioned, water cooled floors and been inside.

Last edited by Aventine; Sep 21, 17 at 6:57 am
Old Sep 21, 17, 6:49 am

I am compelled to mention that my forthcoming 12-day trip next week to Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan will cost less than one night at Miavana - and that is for two people, air travel, all hotels, all transport and most meals.
Old Nov 16, 17, 2:03 pm

Ella, the wonderful GM of Miavana, is leaving, meaning they will be onto their 3rd GM this year when her replacement arrives. There is something rather toxic with this project.
vuittonsofstyle and bhrubin like this.