Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

All things Mandarin Oriental...

All things Mandarin Oriental...

Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by op487062
I agree. Unfortunately, first impressions go a long way too.
I can certainly understand that. Most places nowadays don't care about righting a wrong impression.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
They used to be a solid choice. Had many enjoyable stays at Bangkok, Tokyo, KL, HK but something changed. It must be beancounters or a corporate mindset that they can do no wrong. Success breeds contempt and I think that's what I see in a lot of negative stay posts on MO.
How recently did you stay in the MO in Kuala Lumpur? Planning an SEA trip right now and am strongly considering the MO.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Aventine
I can certainly understand that. Most places nowadays don't care about righting a wrong impression.
You only have one opportunity to make a first impression....
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:40 pm

Grand Cayman resort in 2021:

https://www.caribjournal.com/2018/06...cayman-hotel/#
Old Jul 8, 2018, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by jaundicedave
How recently did you stay in the MO in Kuala Lumpur? Planning an SEA trip right now and am strongly considering the MO.
Stopped there beginning of June for 3 nights with Club lounge access.

Rooms have been renovated badly but not the bathrooms, comfortable and clean, nothing special.

Food at the lounge is plentiful and generally very good, we never use the restaurants in the main part of the hotel. They have swapped the champagne for sparkling wine and there is no lunch offering at weekends, only afternoon tea.

Service is good and location perfect for shopping.

Fans of the MO get a choice of benefits when booking.

Best choice for KL at the moment.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Cyan123
Stopped there beginning of June for 3 nights with Club lounge access.

Rooms have been renovated badly but not the bathrooms, comfortable and clean, nothing special.

Food at the lounge is plentiful and generally very good, we never use the restaurants in the main part of the hotel. They have swapped the champagne for sparkling wine and there is no lunch offering at weekends, only afternoon tea.

Service is good and location perfect for shopping.

Fans of the MO get a choice of benefits when booking.

Best choice for KL at the moment.

Not now the Four Seasons KL has opened. This is looking to be by far the best option.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle

Not now the Four Seasons KL has opened. This is looking to be by far the best option.
Hope so, will definitely it try if we do next visa run to KL!
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:53 am

What's happening with the MO Beijing Qianmen? The concept art looked amazing, but as usual with MO, things get delayed because they wont make a profit. Yawn.

Just open the damn thing, or sell it to a growing hotelier like Six Senses/Alila.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 6:04 am

Just heard that Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London was without A/C after their fire-related incident last month. From what I gather, various HVAC chiller units on the hotel's roof have been successfully replaced and I hope the hotel will re-open sooner than later.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by scented
Just heard that Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London was without A/C after their fire-related incident last month. From what I gather, various HVAC chiller units on the hotel's roof have been successfully replaced and I hope the hotel will re-open sooner than later.
MO Hotels seems to have very bad luck with fire. Besides the London property, I recalled many years ago, the new MO Beijing that was supposed to open to coincide with the 2008 Beijing olympics was burned down as well before it could open.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:27 am

Just saw on FB:

Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group has announced today that it has taken over management of CastaDiva Resort & Spa, an existing resort on Lake Como, Italy. The property will be rebranded as Mandarin Oriental, Lake Como in spring 2019 following a refurbishment of facilities. This will be Mandarin Oriental’s first resort in western Europe and will complement the Group’s Milan hotel.
Located on the shores of Lake Como, and surrounded by lush botanic parkland, the resort is a landmark of historic importance, comprising 76 spacious rooms and suites housed in nine villas, dating from the 19th Century. Two of the villas will be bookable in their entirety giving guests their own private retreat. Almost all accommodation has lake views that can be enjoyed from either a balcony or terrace. The resort features four restaurants and bars, including a lakeside terrace for al fresco dining, a large spa with an indoor swimming pool and an outdoor floating pool on the lake. There is also a variety of social and meeting facilities in the resort’s grounds. “We are delighted to be extending the Mandarin Oriental brand to the shores of Lake Como which has long been a destination of choice for luxury travellers. We look forward to bringing the Group’s exemplary service to the resort and to working with our partners to create one of Italy’s most exclusive properties,” said James Riley, Group Chief Executive of Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:44 am

That’s music to my ears - not quite as beautiful as ‘Casta Diva’ from Norma - but pretty close to it! As much as I love Villa d’Este, Lake Como was very much in need of a modern high end hotel.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:07 am

Casta Diva is a beautiful hotel. Having stayed there, I loved it, but the food and service were probably the worst I have ever experienced, so hopefully MO will put this right. The Spa also needs tons of work as, currently, it is eclectic to say the least.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Originally Posted by scented
I never realised they did a huge amount of chairty work while it was closed! Staff at Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park hotel swapped wealthy guests to help homeless people
Old Sep 22, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Does anyone know how Mandarin's Best Rate Promise actually works? I submitted a claim based on a rate I found for an APAC Mandarin location that was significantly lower on a 3rd-party site, and it has gone completely ignored one week later. I even submitted it twice thinking maybe it didn't go through. The website claims 2 business days. The US Reservations call center had no recourse, and couldn't even offer an email or phone number to reach out to.

This seems like a scam and leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. It's almost like they are just waiting out the claim until the rate I found disappears and they can just deny it.
bhrubin and Eagle_traveler like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.