Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

All things Mandarin Oriental...

All things Mandarin Oriental...

Reply

Old Apr 4, 18, 7:03 pm
  #61  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 6,079
Originally Posted by gengar View Post
It has its staunch defenders on here (would have used the term "fans", but ugh); however, my pre-arrival experience with the MO Tokyo concierge was so appalling that I canceled my reservation (and I had booked an Oriental Suite, no less). I registered a specific complaint to management via e-mail and didn't even get a response, so it's not a property I would ever consider staying at.
I'm the same way. Properties that can't be bothered to give decent responses also go on my blacklist. *cough Aman Tokyo
mumum17 likes this.
Aventine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 18, 10:25 am
  #62  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: USA
Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Posts: 218
Smile Mini Review MOHK

I just returned from our two week spring break. This included us traveling to HK and staying 5 days at the MOHK in a Harbor View Suite. As mentioned above, we did not have a balcony either and the view to the Harbor was fine. We were celebrating my birthday.

We used their airport pickup which, while not cheap (same price as the Pen which pick you up in a RR and we were picked up in a MB) was very welcomed as they picked us up as we disembarked the plane on one of those airport vehicles (the ones you usually see driving elderly folk around ). This allowed us to get through immigration quickly and into our vehicle.

Check in was in the suite (another plus as the front desk was crowded). We also did not get any upgrade.

The room and public areas of the hotel were well maintained and I really enjoyed the buffet breakfast. Now I know this is nit-picking, but we had our 12 yr old daughter with us and she was charged each time for breakfast. I expected this, but, in some of the other places we have stayed at, she usually gets comped. Again, I expected this but it was something to note. That being said, the food and drinks at their restaurants and bars we excellent. We ate primarily at the hotel for every dinner (with their Asian restaurant Man Wah being our favorite) and had several late night outings at their three bars (daughter was in bedroom face timing with friends etc...) with the Captain's Bar being our favorite due to the jazz/blues live music.

The hotel was very conveniently located for access to the trains, walking to the malls etc.

The only thing I would say that underwhelmed me a bit was the service...it was spotty. Some were excellent and some seemed indifferent to our concerns. Mind you the hotel was always busy (at least half I think were locals enjoying the bars or restaurants), but at this level, I expected more and have received more one on one service elsewhere. We did have a very late flight, 11:50pm, but they would not give us a late check-out. That was fine as we were out and about anyways...then went a tad early to the airport to enjoy the lounges. Overall though, it was a nice stay, though, with so many supposedly great hotels in HK, we likely will try something else the next time.
mumum17 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 18, 6:38 pm
  #63  
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Enroute to ? & likely flying in ' A ':)
Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; MR, HH, GP, GC..
Posts: 2,646
Thanks for sharing mumum17 . You were in HK during one of their peak periods which continues with the RWC this weekend !

We were advised by TUH as well as MOHK if we were not required in HK , or were not attending any auctions , conventions , meetings or shows to postpone our visits - was enquiring for family members .

For MOHK , if you are not a regular , it helps to make some requests so you will be remembered at the next meal or on the next visit
When they get busy at Cafe Causette , Clipper Lounge , etc make it known when you are being seated , some of your requests . The staff will be on the look out then . Learnt this early on . They are no Aman ..

But , now we automatically get 3 covered ‘ buckets ‘ ( their heavy fancy ones ) of ice , temperatures set the lowest at 18 C they are able ( they get their engineers to tweak it ) , an ironing board in our suite even though I do not iron , as some request was made once by a travel companion ! , ..

Last edited by FlyerEC; Apr 5, 18 at 6:48 pm Reason: Add info
FlyerEC is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 18, 7:30 pm
  #64  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 6,079
Originally Posted by mumum17 View Post
I just returned from our two week spring break. This included us traveling to HK and staying 5 days at the MOHK in a Harbor View Suite. As mentioned above, we did not have a balcony either and the view to the Harbor was fine. We were celebrating my birthday.

We used their airport pickup which, while not cheap (same price as the Pen which pick you up in a RR and we were picked up in a MB) was very welcomed as they picked us up as we disembarked the plane on one of those airport vehicles (the ones you usually see driving elderly folk around ). This allowed us to get through immigration quickly and into our vehicle.

Check in was in the suite (another plus as the front desk was crowded). We also did not get any upgrade.

The room and public areas of the hotel were well maintained and I really enjoyed the buffet breakfast. Now I know this is nit-picking, but we had our 12 yr old daughter with us and she was charged each time for breakfast. I expected this, but, in some of the other places we have stayed at, she usually gets comped. Again, I expected this but it was something to note. That being said, the food and drinks at their restaurants and bars we excellent. We ate primarily at the hotel for every dinner (with their Asian restaurant Man Wah being our favorite) and had several late night outings at their three bars (daughter was in bedroom face timing with friends etc...) with the Captain's Bar being our favorite due to the jazz/blues live music.

The hotel was very conveniently located for access to the trains, walking to the malls etc.

The only thing I would say that underwhelmed me a bit was the service...it was spotty. Some were excellent and some seemed indifferent to our concerns. Mind you the hotel was always busy (at least half I think were locals enjoying the bars or restaurants), but at this level, I expected more and have received more one on one service elsewhere. We did have a very late flight, 11:50pm, but they would not give us a late check-out. That was fine as we were out and about anyways...then went a tad early to the airport to enjoy the lounges. Overall though, it was a nice stay, though, with so many supposedly great hotels in HK, we likely will try something else the next time.
The breakfast does seem stingy considering you were in a suite afterall. Did you book for 3 with your FanClub agent, etc? I'm surprised it wouldn't have been covered by your booking.
Aventine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 18, 8:56 pm
  #65  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: USA
Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Posts: 218
Thanks guys, yes it was done by my agent. Mind you our other stay in Johannesburg, our daughter got free breakfast. I appreciate that we were there during the busy season...makes sense now why thy didnít give us even a late checkout, considering we were taking their limo service back to the airport. Mind you, when they said they could not accommodate even a few hours, I decided to take the subway to the airport...what a great experience as the bags were checked right at the train station at the mall. This allowed us to enjoy the day and then only needing to get carry ones from MOHK on our departure to the airport. The concierge, a French gentleman (forgot his name), was great. He suggested taking the train over their car service...more hassle free and bypass city traffic.
I also wanted to add that the service at their Asian restaurant was fantastic... we had remembered it was my birthday and gave us not only free desert but also made a special course for us, on the House. The manager also came over to serve it and wished me too. Very nice.

Last edited by mumum17; Apr 5, 18 at 9:07 pm
mumum17 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 18, 9:00 pm
  #66  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 6,079
Originally Posted by mumum17 View Post
Thanks guys, yes it was done by my agent. Mind you our other stays in Johannesburg, our daughter got free breakfast. I appreciate that we were there during the busy season...makes sense now why thy didnít give us even a late checkout, considering we were taking their limo service back to the airport. Mind you, when they said they could not accommodate even a few hours, I decided to take the subway to the airport...what a great experience as the bags were checked right at the train station at the mall. This allowed us to enjoy the day and then only needing to get carry ones from MOHK on our departure to the airport. The concierge, a French gentleman (forgot his name), was great. He suggested taking the train over their car service...more hassle free and bypass city traffic.

​​​​​​​Next time try TUH. I think you'll be blown away by the contrast in service approaches.
Aventine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 18, 9:13 pm
  #67  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: USA
Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Posts: 218
I will definitely try TUH the next time...that was what I was thinking too.
mumum17 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 18, 11:53 pm
  #68  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 395
I found TUH service a little lacking compared to other hotels.
op487062 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 18, 4:06 am
  #69  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 690
Checked in to MO BKK this morning. Everything is still totally flawless. Greg is doing a great job. Was about to stay at The Siam but then balked because of the work going on there.

Upgraded from entry level room to Exec Suite, which seems to be our common upgrade these days. They even let me have the room at 7am.

As always, wish I could change the clientele but that's part of staying at a legend, I suppose.
MattEvan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 18, 5:10 am
  #70  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Boston, Jo'burg, HK
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Posts: 9,908
Originally Posted by MattEvan View Post
As always, wish I could change the clientele but that's part of staying at a legend, I suppose.
Sartre had it right. Hell is other people.
Pickles is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 18, 6:39 am
  #71  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BKK
Posts: 6,471
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Sartre had it right. Hell is other people.
The club lounge at GHT is a prime example
MikeFromTokyo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 18, 5:53 pm
  #72  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Boston, Jo'burg, HK
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Posts: 9,908
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo View Post


The club lounge at GHT is a prime example
Kaching! You win first prize.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Pickles is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 18, 5:23 am
  #73  
formerly known as deathscar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: Virtuoso | SPG
Posts: 1,706
Originally Posted by op487062 View Post
I found TUH service a little lacking compared to other hotels.
Not every hotel is 100% spot on 100% of the time, so it can happen. Think you'd be in the minority on that one - give them another try on your next trip to Hong Kong.
chinmoylad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 18, 3:16 pm
  #74  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 395
Originally Posted by chinmoylad View Post
Not every hotel is 100% spot on 100% of the time, so it can happen. Think you'd be in the minority on that one - give them another try on your next trip to Hong Kong.
I agree. Unfortunately, first impressions go a long way too.
op487062 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 18, 3:46 pm
  #75  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: USA
Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Posts: 218
Originally Posted by op487062 View Post
I agree. Unfortunately, first impressions go a long way too.
I totally agree on this...first impressions, the various luxury options and the cost all add up to me at least that first impressions carry weight when it comes to my travels.
Again this is not pertaining necessarily to TUH but in general. I give weight to what others say but can only give the greatest weight to my own experiences.

mumum17 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread