Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

10 nights from 69,995.00..from Arctic to Antarctica

Old May 5, 16, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Anyone fancy this little jaunt? Will this Macyourday?

https://www.noble-caledonia.co.uk/to...toe/itinerary/
Old May 5, 16, 7:41 am

Have you booked - I was just about to but then realised that that is per person!! So just slightly out of my normal travel budget!
Old May 5, 16, 8:10 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
That is actually quite a bargain when you consider the antarctic portion probably accounts for 64,000 of the total. That portion sounds a lot like what this company offers: http://www.white-desert.com/dates-2016/ Which sounds pretty amazing if money wasn't an issue. Shhh. Don't tell MacMyDay. Or do. The trip report would be priceless.
Old May 5, 16, 9:10 am
Community Director

I didn't know it was possible to stay in Antarctica, other than on a cruise ship or working at a research station. Where are these igloos and what are they like?
Old May 5, 16, 9:10 am

It is still a package tour from Luton Airport
Old May 5, 16, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
I didn't know it was possible to stay in Antarctica, other than on a cruise ship or working at a research station. Where are these igloos and what are they like?
If you go to the link I posted and then the "gallery" section there are some pictures. They are tasteful, but a long way from traditional luxury. Which is to be expected, given the location!
Old May 5, 16, 9:29 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by ridefar View Post
If you go to the link I posted and then the "gallery" section there are some pictures. They are tasteful, but a long way from traditional luxury. Which is to be expected, given the location!
I found pictures of the igloos in the Arctic but no joy on Antarctica. Here are more pictures of the igloos they use in the north:

http://www.kakslauttanen.fi/en/accommodation/

They are quite different than I anticipated with their glass roofs.

Here's a description from their site of the Antarctica lodging:

Our accommodation consists of domed, frameless structures of aerospace composite panels that slot together in order to have the strength of a normal building yet the mobility of a tent. An expert from the company that manufactures the pods made a special journey from Alaska to help the team set up this unique camp. The pods have luxury en-suite bedrooms, each 6.1m in diameter. The interiors include two single beds (converting into one double bed, on request), a wash area, toilet and writing desk. There is also a separate shower tent with a full shower and toilet facilities.
Old May 5, 16, 9:33 am

Shhh. Don't tell MacMyDay. Or do. The trip report would be priceless.
The trip report would definitely not be priceless - quite the contrary, it would be 69,995 to be precise. I'd ask my butler if I'm free for this excursion, but I'm now living in a crack den after the bailiffs took my house away to pay for North Island.
Old May 5, 16, 10:19 am

I found pictures of the igloos in the Arctic but no joy on Antarctica. Here are more pictures of the igloos they use in the north:

Here's a description from their site of the Antarctica lodging:

Our accommodation consists of domed, frameless structures of aerospace composite panels that slot together in order to have the strength of a normal building yet the mobility of a tent. An expert from the company that manufactures the pods made a special journey from Alaska to help the team set up this unique camp. The pods have luxury en-suite bedrooms, each 6.1m in diameter. The interiors include two single beds (converting into one double bed, on request), a wash area, toilet and writing desk. There is also a separate shower tent with a full shower and toilet facilities.
That looks lovely. If it weren't for the fact that I would be a happy man if I never saw another snowflake ever again for as long as I live I would probably be adding it to my places to go list.

Photos of antarctic igloos should be here: http://www.white-desert.com/gallery/

I am just assuming the tour operator cited by the OP is using the facilities of the White Desert Antarctica camp that I linked to. I can't imagine there are two such similar itineraries and costs in the same area.
Old May 5, 16, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by MacMyDay View Post
The trip report would definitely not be priceless - quite the contrary, it would be 69,995 to be precise. I'd ask my butler if I'm free for this excursion, but I'm now living in a crack den after the bailiffs took my house away to pay for North Island.
Haha

And Pausanias was hoping to Macyourday!
Old May 5, 16, 3:58 pm
Community Director

That looks lovely. If it weren't for the fact that I would be a happy man if I never saw another snowflake ever again for as long as I live I would probably be adding it to my places to go list.
Well, yes. There's a reason we moved from snow country and a reason why I sent my husband with a friend to Antarctica this past winter. Still,I'm intrigued by the property they use in the Arctic. There's a lot of appeal in those glass topped rooms and being able to see the aurora borealis without going outside.
Old May 5, 16, 7:58 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..

Well, yes. There's a reason we moved from snow country and a reason why I sent my husband with a friend to Antarctica this past winter. Still,I'm intrigued by the property they use in the Arctic. There's a lot of appeal in those glass topped rooms and being able to see the aurora borealis without going outside.
I stayed in the glass igloo few years ago . It was comfortable enough , the beds certainly were , similar to the adjustable hospital ones but much better

We stayed at Nellim Wilderness first
http://nellim.fi/destinations/nellim.../accomodation/
But their " AURORA BUBBLE " was not even launched then .
Would have stayed in these if they were .

Loved our aurora borealis adventure , saw them nightly . Spectacular !!

But being outside was really amazing , we were literally in the wilderness ! So so remote ..
Old May 5, 16, 9:18 pm

And we, too - following FlyerEC's recommendation - stayed at Nellim. Loved it.

Stayed in the Aurora Bubble two nights, as well as another two nights on the property. Were blessed with historically good displays, including a night on their privately heated "Bubble Sledge" on Lake Ivalo, with a Sami guide from the area ... even he was impressed!

I could NOT more highly recommend it. It's certainly not luxurious, but it IS purely magical.

In fact, based on research and my experiences there, I'd recommend Nellim over Kaukslatannen.
Old May 9, 16, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ridefar, OP link itinerary says only 3 days on antarctica
white desert is not only option for land stay, just only 'luxury'

i can see doing $20K white desert day-trip, if they repeat, rather than cruise
for cruises, seems by far the best is to fly to antarctica and then do cruise
presumably there will not be more book-a-cabin trips on hanse explorer

Originally Posted by aa213bb View Post
based on research...I'd recommend Nellim over Kaukslatannen.
could combine, nellim is about 80km to northeast
but indeed quick research yields interesting results >
travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/124688/Sledge-Thief-Wilderness-Village-6
re nellim - "Aurora Alarm ... better food here than at Kakslauttanen"
foodieinternational.com/2014/02/21/northern-lights-in-nellim-finland/

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 10, 16 at 12:42 am

Search this Thread