Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oman Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lebron2323
Anyone been to Al Bustan since the renovations? We are going to stay at Anantara in the mountains (I know people here like Alila better, but my wife was big into Anantara as it seemed more kid-friendly (bringing our 2 year old), and my in-laws are coming and we wanted to stay in a 2BR and that is out of our price range at Anantara) and will likely spend 2-3 days at the beach beforehand.

Al Bustan seems like the best option (Al Husn doesn't allow kids), no? We really like beautiful natural settings and the mountains. My in-laws would really like to do something beach-y, and Zighy Bay is too hard to get too/too expensive.

Anyone have any insight into the best room to book? Right now debating between lagoon access and just going for the base room (mountain view) and seeing if we might be able to get upgraded. Anyone know if all of the rooms were updated in the recent renovations?

We'll be coming from the UAE so could potentially try other beach options there, but they don't look as picturesque. The best stuff in Dubai (One and Only and FS) are out of our price range; could do Waldorf Astoria, Oberoi Al Zorah, or Ritz Carlton Ras al Khaimah/Al Hamra, but the first two seem pretty blah (no mountains, etc.) and the latter would really stretch the budget. Also thought about Salalah and the Anantara resort there, but it similarly is a little modern for our taste, I'm a little scared about being so close to Yemen (perhaps unjustifiably), and it would make the travel harder vs. somewhere I could drive to or from in the UAE or somewhere driving distance from Muscat. Any other good beach options I'm missing (that would be OK for a 2 year old)?

Thank you!
To briefly update this older thread for anyone interested. I just stayed at The Ritz Al Bustan in Muscat and was really surprised and impressed. The rooms feel fresh and pretty standard RC that could be most anywhere not that its such a bad thing. The main pool and beach area were just totally lovely. I thought the service was very warm and people were lovely. I also thought the spa treatments were really good and I am picky about that as I often find the quality of massages to be pretty lacking and dont usually bother. I would go back to this property in a heartbeat as the Chedi seems pretty old with building going on around the property and a pretty mediocre beach vs the totally redone hotel with unreal lobby and facilities along with stunning landscape that is the Al Bustan. I think I read somewhere on FT that an experienced traveler felt Al Bustan was the nicest RC in the world and in my more limited experiences with the brand (full disclosure Im not a huge fan) I would readily agree.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Staying at Al-Bustan in Sept., will report back.
bhrubin and Fly_IAD like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Stayed at Al Bustan earlier in the year and have to agree with the above great hotel and lovely staff.

visited the The Chedi and while it isn’t in anywhere as nice surrounding with the building work etc going on the hotel and hotel grounds themselves looked amazing.
bhrubin and Fly_IAD like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
The Al Bustan is just classic and I'm glad they renovated.

The Chedi has always been my favorite but the hotel is showing its wear. That said the grounds are gorgeous and I love the main lobby. Will never forget the first time I entered it in 2003. But will also never forget the first time I entered the Al Bustan lobby in 1994.

I'll probably stay at the Al Bustan the next time I go.
Fly_IAD likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sophialite
The Al Bustan is just classic and I'm glad they renovated.

The Chedi has always been my favorite but the hotel is showing its wear. That said the grounds are gorgeous and I love the main lobby. Will never forget the first time I entered it in 2003. But will also never forget the first time I entered the Al Bustan lobby in 1994.

I'll probably stay at the Al Bustan the next time I go.
I meant to add in my previous post that I am happy to try and answer questions or provide other details about Al Bustan (and the new W hotel in Muscat) if anyone is interested.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:36 am

We stayed at Bustan and had a wonderful experience. Great pool, beach for people who are active, hiking is available. We went with our two year old and there are tons of kids activities — he had a great time at the kids are/pool. Hard product is very nice, and breakfast buffet very good. It was significantly better than I expected. Our lagoon room was perfect for my son.

we also went to the Anantara resort in the mountains. We thought it was OK but we’re not wow-Ed by it. It was probably the better option vs Alila for us given the ability to book a 2 BR suite with rivals pool, but if I were going again without kids I’d definitely do Alila. Maybe I’ve just turned snobby but the food at Anantara (included dinner buffet) felt very unimpressive/package-tour like.

Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Of all of our resort visits in the past 5 years, including Amanpulo, Amanoi, Aman Sveti Stefan, Amanfayun, Amanjiwo, Amankila, Chedi Club Ubud, Belmond El Encanto, and Park Hyatt Maldives, among others, my wife most fondly looks back on Alila Jabal Akhdar and the entire country of Oman.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I didn’t realize the W had opened already. When I last went by it this year, I had assumed it wouldn’t be opening for many months if not even before next year despite being on a hiring binge. That was finished way faster than I expected.

The JW Marriott Muscat is supposed to open later this year.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:43 pm

With the new airport I feel like Oman is going to start getting straight through US flights and become more of a travel destination for US travelers.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Jermyn
I would absolutely echo this sentiment.

Alila is a tranquil low rise resort, beautifully integrated into an isolated canyon.
The F&B are incredible and the service was Aman level, without question.
The activities were also excellent, ranging from the adrenaline fuelled to moments of deep cultural understanding.
Easily one of my favourite hotel stays ever.

Anantara is a concrete monstrosity right by a main road, on the outskirts of a town that is frequented by day trippers.
I can't talk to the quality of the soft product but one look at the hotel and I knew we'd made the right decision in picking Alila.

Elsewhere I found the Chedi to be extremely disappointing. After the serenity of Alila, getting gouged for mediocre F&B at an overrun resort factory was a real blow. Muscat Opera house was fantastic as is the diving in the area, otherwise I would recommend opting out of Muscat entirely and spending as much time as possible in the mountains.
For those who have been.... did you self-drive to Alila or hire a driver? Either way, how "scary" are the roads to reach it (meaning, do you encounter things like hairpin turns with no guardrails, steep drops, things like that)? I can't seem to get a clear sense from my Google-fu.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:49 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
We hired a driver and guide.
Since we had an early morning arrival into Oman we hired them to show us around some sights in Muscat as well as making a couple of stops en route.
The total cost for the tour plus driver was cheaper than just using the hotel car.

We timed it so that we arrived in time for a late lunch and check-in at around 2pm.

If I remember correctly you need a vehicle that is specially certified for the altitude, guards check this at the entrance to the mountain road.
There were some vehicles that looked like they were really struggling with the inclines despite being allowed through.
The roads aren't particularly scary or winding but the inclines are no joke.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Has anyone been recently? Arriving Oct 1, staying at RC. Cannot get reliable info regarding visa on arrival for US and UK passports. Still possible?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
I drove to the Alila. Cars have to be 4x4 to be permitted up there.

We love Muscat but will probably stay at the Kempinsky next time.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by StckFigure
For those who have been.... did you self-drive to Alila or hire a driver? Either way, how "scary" are the roads to reach it (meaning, do you encounter things like hairpin turns with no guardrails, steep drops, things like that)? I can't seem to get a clear sense from my Google-fu.
We self-drove from the airport to Alila. The roads are fine. Yes, there are several hairpin turns, but nothing that is terribly difficult so long as you are a safe driver. There are a few places where the roads aren't that well marked and we made wrong turns, but it wasn't a big deal. Navigating roads in Muscat we thought to be much trickier.

We found having a car to be really useful, as it offered us the flexibility to drive around Nizwa a bit, to Bahla Fort, Misfah, or just to stop along the way and enjoy the views or take photos when we wanted. Just remember that the authorities require you to have a 4-wheel drive driving up the mountains to Alila.

We really enjoyed Alila Jabal Akhdar. Oman is a great destination.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jiaotze
We self-drove from the airport to Alila. The roads are fine. Yes, there are several hairpin turns, but nothing that is terribly difficult so long as you are a safe driver. There are a few places where the roads aren't that well marked and we made wrong turns, but it wasn't a big deal. Navigating roads in Muscat we thought to be much trickier.

We found having a car to be really useful, as it offered us the flexibility to drive around Nizwa a bit, to Bahla Fort, Misfah, or just to stop along the way and enjoy the views or take photos when we wanted. Just remember that the authorities require you to have a 4-wheel drive driving up the mountains to Alila.

We really enjoyed Alila Jabal Akhdar. Oman is a great destination.
Agreed to all of the above. I really enjoyed the drive but will acknowledge that even as the driver I felt carsick by the way up/down. It is a LONG, windy ride up the mountain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.