Oman Recommendations

Old Feb 10, 2022, 3:59 pm

I am planning a short trip to Oman prior to Cairo, and could use some help with itinerary suggestions. My partner and I are very familiar with tight itineraries to visit a bit of everything.

That said, I will be arriving to MCT/SLL sunday morning (3/4am), and leaving to Cairo wednesday 3pm (so that is total of 3.5days in Oman). I would like to use my Hyatt points to stay in the Alila properties, but it seems that visiting both properties would be rather ambitious/ridiculous/unreasonable.

I am considering the following options:
  1. Fly directly to Salalah, drive and stay at Alila Hinu Bay for 2 nights, and fly to Muscat tuesday evening, and spend the night in Muscat, early start wednesday for Muscat sightseeing prior to my flight
  2. Fly directly to Muscat, drive to Alila Jabal and spend 2 nights, drive back to Muscat tuesday afternoon, spend the night in Muscat, early start wednesday for Muscat sightseeing prior to my flight
  3. Fly directly to Salalah, drive and stay at Alila Hinu Bay for 1 night, fly to Muscat Monday night, early start Tuesday for Muscat sightseeing, then drive to Alila Jabal, spend the night, Wednesday late morning drive to airport for flight
I can't extend my Oman trip due to work schedule and family gathering before and after. Looking for suggestions on which itinerary to ideally book. Thank you!
Old Feb 10, 2022, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by gbongc
I am planning a short trip to Oman prior to Cairo, and could use some help with itinerary suggestions. My partner and I are very familiar with tight itineraries to visit a bit of everything.

That said, I will be arriving to MCT/SLL sunday morning (3/4am), and leaving to Cairo wednesday 3pm (so that is total of 3.5days in Oman). I would like to use my Hyatt points to stay in the Alila properties, but it seems that visiting both properties would be rather ambitious/ridiculous/unreasonable.

I am considering the following options:
  1. Fly directly to Salalah, drive and stay at Alila Hinu Bay for 2 nights, and fly to Muscat tuesday evening, and spend the night in Muscat, early start wednesday for Muscat sightseeing prior to my flight
  2. Fly directly to Muscat, drive to Alila Jabal and spend 2 nights, drive back to Muscat tuesday afternoon, spend the night in Muscat, early start wednesday for Muscat sightseeing prior to my flight
  3. Fly directly to Salalah, drive and stay at Alila Hinu Bay for 1 night, fly to Muscat Monday night, early start Tuesday for Muscat sightseeing, then drive to Alila Jabal, spend the night, Wednesday late morning drive to airport for flight
I can't extend my Oman trip due to work schedule and family gathering before and after. Looking for suggestions on which itinerary to ideally book. Thank you!
#2.
the true beauty around salalah is not around the hinu bay area.
but the hotel with the best vantage point at jabal akhdar is alila.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:15 am

Programs: NZ
I'm planning a trip to Oman and am just wondering what people think as to which hotels in Muscat offer the best club/lounge experience?
Old Jun 27, 2022, 9:23 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by minz56
I'm planning a trip to Oman and am just wondering what people think as to which hotels in Muscat offer the best club/lounge experience?
We stayed at the Hyatt in December, an old grand dame. It had a good lounge with a lovely large outdoor verandah. The hotel is dated but immaculate.
minz56 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 6:02 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Planning an Oman trip in Feb- Much like the OP, I booked the Chedi, Desert Nights, and Alila Jabal Akhdar over 10 nights.

Have entry restrictions loosened up any? We are aware of the evisa requirement. Also, having booked a terrace room at the Chedi, have they made any post-covid renovations or improved any? We are definitely most excited about the Alila. Any advice on excursions/city sightseeing tours?
nick_a likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 12:56 pm

Programs: Amex FHR, Leaders Club
Originally Posted by London21
Great thread.

I am looking at Zighy Bay for Jan 2022. coming from the UK and will be fully vaccinated.

What are people's views on Zighy Bay?

Thanks
I haven’t seen any good responses to this. Did you end up going?

I know it’s been 10 years since I last saw anything (posted here) about the red algae killing the fish/the fish smell at the resort - has anyone been in the last year or two who can comment on how the resort is now? Looking for a 5 day stay in late March/early April, but not if it’s still stinky!

thanks!
Old Aug 14, 2023, 1:24 am

I stayed at the Shangri-La Al Husn Resort this year. This is the adults only section of the resort and they most definitely monitor everyone to ensure it stays that way. Our room was excellent, not dated in any way, and the public areas are spectacular. There is also a private sandy beach with striking rock formations. We did notice, right across our visit to Oman, but especially in Muscat, the rapid rate of tourist development. It's not Dubai, and never will be (thanks be to Allah) but it's no longer the sleepy backwater it once was.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 12:36 pm

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by nick_a
I haven’t seen any good responses to this. Did you end up going?

I know it’s been 10 years since I last saw anything (posted here) about the red algae killing the fish/the fish smell at the resort - has anyone been in the last year or two who can comment on how the resort is now? Looking for a 5 day stay in late March/early April, but not if it’s still stinky!

thanks!
Stayed earlier this year. Did not notice a fish smell. Accommodation was good, if you stay would recommend a beach villa - large private pool and plenty loungers with doors opening onto the beach. Food on the whole was good, but service not quite up to what I would expect from a top luxury hotel. Some nice experiences like breakfast, dinner at the top of the cliffs so you can enjoy the dawn, dusk. All communication with the hotel once you are there is over WhatsApp with your “butler”. We were disappointed with the excursions, as our guide spoke little English, and understood even less.

Let me know if you have specific questions.
nick_a likes this.

Last edited by 2358; Dec 9, 2023 at 4:53 am
Old Nov 1, 2023, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by YumYumcake
We're staying at Alila Jabal around Xmas and were planning to get a car and drive. However, I can't figure out how to guarantee a 4WD car through kayak or similar search engines.

Could someone recommend a place to rent a car in Muscat / the airport?

Is it possible to use the CDW from my credit card in oman?

Thanks!
Wondering the same about where to rent a 4WD. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Old Nov 3, 2023, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by 2358
Stayed earlier this year. Did not notice a fish smell. Accommodation was good, if you stay would recommend a beach villa - large private pool and plenty loungers with doors opening onto the beach. Food on the whole was good, but service not quite up to what I would expect from a luxury hotel. Some nice experiences like breakfast, dinner at the top of the cliffs so you can enjoy the dawn, dusk. All communication with the hotel once you are there is over WhatsApp with your “butler”. We were disappointed with the excursions, as our guide spoke little English, and understood even less.

Let me know if you have specific questions.
How's the water/diving? We're thinking of doing maybe 7-10 days, combining the Alila(Definitely Jabal, maybe Hinu?) with either the Ritz or the Six Senses if it warrants the drive up. Anything else new? How's the new Jumeirah? Seems like there's also another Anantara at the beach now (Al Baleed?)
Old Nov 5, 2023, 7:18 am

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by Smiley90
How's the water/diving? We're thinking of doing maybe 7-10 days, combining the Alila(Definitely Jabal, maybe Hinu?) with either the Ritz or the Six Senses if it warrants the drive up. Anything else new? How's the new Jumeirah? Seems like there's also another Anantara at the beach now (Al Baleed?)
only stayed at the Zighy Bay. Water was fine, tried snorkelling, but really not much to see. There was huge excitement over a ray, but nothing like the sea life you see elsewhere, such as Hawaii.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 8:59 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Diamond, BA Gold, QR Plat
Originally Posted by Smiley90
diving is amazing at daymaniyat islands. There is a Kempinski literally 5 minutes away from where most boats depart to daymaniyat
Old Dec 8, 2023, 9:29 pm

MO Muscat is accepting reservations for stays from March 28th. With FS and StR (under Tarek Mourad) in the pipeline, Muscat should firmly get into the luxury travel scene.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 2:22 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Recently stayed at the GH Muscat and cannot say I recommended it -- it's meant to be something of a "grand old dame" but I'd say it's mostly just old, without the charm. Not just architecture but furniture, pool loungers etc. Even towels and robes in rooms were very ragged. Apparently one wing will undergo complete renovations next year along with the pool area which hopefully should see it brought up to the standard of some of the newer properties in town.

For now - stay elsewhere.
MaldivesGoal likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Is there anything "in" the city that's worth for a one night stay between driving down from Jabal and a flight out the next day? Something traditional (thinking Souq-ish)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.