Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Phuket & Krabi, Thailand

Phuket & Krabi, Thailand

Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:30 am

Thanks. How private are the 1BR villas? Can anyone see inside the private pool? Or are they set away from the main complex?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:46 pm

I plan to try Anantara Layan. Ive only heard good things about it, the location is spectacular, and the entire Minor hotel group treats me like gold.

Otherwise, I would suggest stretching budget for Rosewood or Trisara. I have never been particularly interested in the como property.

Layan has everything from suites with panoramic views from higher up to beachfront pool villas.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Nov 20, 2017 at 2:58 am
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:41 am

Programs: No program whatsoever
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I plan to try Anantara Layan. Ive only heard good things about it, the location is spectacular, and the entire Minor hotel group treats me like gold.

Otherwise, I would suggest stretching budget for Rosewood or Trisara. I have never been particularly interested in the como property.

Layan has everything from suites with panoramic views from higher up to beachfront pool villas.
I've heard bad things about service at Layan.
A close friend stayed in one of their private residences, which are apparently spectacular (Bill Heinecke owns one for personal use) -- but he said service levels were quite unsatisfactory.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:13 am

Programs: SQ Gold
How much do they charge per week?

It sounds ideal, how much do they charge?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by 0bsidian
I've heard bad things about service at Layan.
A close friend stayed in one of their private residences, which are apparently spectacular (Bill Heinecke owns one for personal use) -- but he said service levels were quite unsatisfactory.
I havent been yet, so cannot comment on that specific property. I am very surprised to hear that, because as a residence villa guest at Anantara with Mr. Varnier as GM, one would expect service second to none. Maybe it was an anomaly? Did your friend comment on the service?

Theres always Trisara. I know the OP mentioned budget, but if ever there were an hotel worthy of a bit of a splurge to indulge, Trisara is certainly one of them.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: No program whatsoever
I havent been yet, so cannot comment on that specific property. I am very surprised to hear that, because as a residence villa guest at Anantara with Mr. Varnier as GM, one would expect service second to none. Maybe it was an anomaly? Did your friend comment on the service?

Theres always Trisara. I know the OP mentioned budget, but if ever there were an hotel worthy of a bit of a splurge to indulge, Trisara is certainly one of them.
My friend was very impressed by the hard product, but disappointed with service -- he mentioned things like staff forgetting about room requests or taking it very long to show up when summoned. He's a Thai speaking Amanjunkie and not too fussy with these things usually, so I'm inclined to listen.

With that said, It might very well be a one-off -- In fact, I would love to be reassured that it was a one-off, because it would be a good excuse to consider booking one of those gorgeous residences.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:14 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Might be heading to check out Layan Residences in May so will report back!

If you have specific questions, feel free to let me know and I'll keep it in mind to ask or test it out.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:19 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Might be heading to check out Layan Residences in May so will report back!

If you have specific questions, feel free to let me know and I'll keep it in mind to ask or test it out.
Just did a video around this!

I think I covered my opinion in another thread re: Layan Residences vs other villas in Phuket.

If you have time, please do check out the resort itself as well as I didn't have time to do this and would love expert feedback.1

Having said that, it's Phuket so I'll probably be there some time this year.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Video looks great.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:13 am

We are looking at spending about 5 nights in the Krabi / Phuket area in November 2018 - we will be travelling with our son who will be nearly 2 and are looking for luxury beach with some activities and great food onsite. Spa is of no interest. Trisara / Amanpuri is beyond the budget but at the moment we are weighing up Rayavadee and Phulay Bay and wondering what this forum would recommend or whether there are better options in Phuket.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by EfficientTraveller
We are looking at spending about 5 nights in the Krabi / Phuket area in November 2018 - we will be travelling with our son who will be nearly 2 and are looking for luxury beach with some activities and great food onsite. Spa is of no interest. Trisara / Amanpuri is beyond the budget but at the moment we are weighing up Rayavadee and Phulay Bay and wondering what this forum would recommend or whether there are better options in Phuket.
I think you simply must experience Rayavadee, as its location is spectacular. If you had ten days or more, I would say visit both, but five nights is only enough time to enjoy one property. Phulay Bay is wonderful in the larger villa categories, and also has lovely views of the Hong Islands, but it does not compare to being on Phranang beach at sunset after everyone has gone away.
Ex-SIN likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 4:55 am

Programs: BAEC
March recommendations?

Bumping this thread and looking for ideas...

We've been to Phuket twice before and want to do something different. The last time we went there was in September (rainy season) so this time we are going in March and hoping for a better experience. Just as a background, we tried Amanpuri before - beautiful beach but F&B was frightlyfully expensive. We decided to go somewhere cheaper last year but opted for a high category room, so we went to JW Marriott Mai Khao with low expectations - surprisingly good stay and we were in the oceanfront suite which was great. Yes it is not Amanpuri (service not as polished) but the F&B, whilst still expensive, was more affordable and plenty more options. Beach was not bad too. We would go back here by default but looking for other options to try.

For next March we are still looking to stay at two different resorts in Phuket/Krabi area with nice beaches and a reasonable selection of places to eat where we don't have to break the bank all the time. Budget is USD$700-750 a night. Maybe I am in the wrong forum and if so let me know. We have decided to try Rayavadee this time and looking for resort no.2. Amanpuri and Trisara are way beyond budget. RC Phulay Bay is a no-no due to beach. Any other recommendations? I am considering a beach access villa at Anantara Layan in Phuket. Beach looks a bit questionable though during low tide. If anyone has any experience staying in this resort of have any other similar recommendations please let me know. Thank you!
Old Aug 26, 2019, 5:57 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
The value at Anantara Layan is great! The beach isn't Amanpuri but due to the value, you'll likely come away very happy with the trade off.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 6:03 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by docmcdreamy
Bumping this thread and looking for ideas...

We've been to Phuket twice before and want to do something different. The last time we went there was in September (rainy season) so this time we are going in March and hoping for a better experience. Just as a background, we tried Amanpuri before - beautiful beach but F&B was frightlyfully expensive. We decided to go somewhere cheaper last year but opted for a high category room, so we went to JW Marriott Mai Khao with low expectations - surprisingly good stay and we were in the oceanfront suite which was great. Yes it is not Amanpuri (service not as polished) but the F&B, whilst still expensive, was more affordable and plenty more options. Beach was not bad too. We would go back here by default but looking for other options to try.

For next March we are still looking to stay at two different resorts in Phuket/Krabi area with nice beaches and a reasonable selection of places to eat where we don't have to break the bank all the time. Budget is USD$700-750 a night. Maybe I am in the wrong forum and if so let me know. We have decided to try Rayavadee this time and looking for resort no.2. Amanpuri and Trisara are way beyond budget. RC Phulay Bay is a no-no due to beach. Any other recommendations? I am considering a beach access villa at Anantara Layan in Phuket. Beach looks a bit questionable though during low tide. If anyone has any experience staying in this resort of have any other similar recommendations please let me know. Thank you!
Anantara Layan would be a good place.

Maybe give The Racha a try for something different?
Nice beach especially during that season, weather should be conducive. Only thing to note is the hordes of public ferries that end up on the beach - but otherwise it's a gorgeous place.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: BAEC
Thanks for the suggestions. Decided not to go to Anantara as it looks like there are only 2 restaurants there and not keen on the idea of being held captive. Prices also really expensive end of Feb..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.