Review: North Island, Seychelles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Review: North Island, Seychelles

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

marriott does not care about participation, vs starwood finally getting 100% participation

point of marriott is marketing, luxury collection franchise is unique option among big chains

marriott can do things like contests, photoshoots, and other PR that costs very little

think about the PR value of announcement by marriott, and marriott marketing lists

some marriott guests, especially corporate/wedding, will do paid buyouts and stays

theyre not going to add more villas as that would dramatically drop rates, vs dramatic rise
Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:02 am
Original Poster

The Managing Partner of A Small World, Michael Manz, contacted me regarding my blog post and wanted to just chat through what is changing. Mad respect for being prepared to do that in the first place. I spent an hour talking to him earlier today. I cannot go into detail on 95% of the call, as it was in confidence, but I do come away appreciating what they're trying to do and their desire to simply use Marriot as a marketing partner, with the emphasis on very little changes elsewhere as part of the management change. Changes are coming though, which all sounded positive, but it will be hard to know until they're implemented. You will be able to book using Bonvoy points once the full transition takes place, later in the year.

I still very much dislike it being associated with Marriot and find the entire ordeal a bit crazy, but at least understand some of the thought process behind it.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
The Managing Partner of A Small World, Michael Manz, contacted me regarding my blog post and wanted to just chat through what is changing. Mad respect for being prepared to do that in the first place. I spent an hour talking to him earlier today. I cannot go into detail on 95% of the call, as it was in confidence, but I do come away appreciating what they're trying to do and their desire to simply use Marriot as a marketing partner, with the emphasis on very little changes elsewhere as part of the management change. Changes are coming though, which all sounded positive, but it will be hard to know until they're implemented. You will be able to book using Bonvoy points once the full transition takes place, later in the year.

I still very much dislike it being associated with Marriot and find the entire ordeal a bit crazy, but at least understand some of the thought process behind it.
Looking forward to seeing how many points I will need to stay!
ZPRSeychelles likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LinLant

Looking forward to seeing how many points I will need to stay!
All of them?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:08 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Aventine
All of them?
Of course that’s very unlikely. There isn’t a single Marriott or former SPG property that allows all rooms/units to be booked as awards! Chances are that there will be only one or two units available at any time for award bookings, more only at the discretion of the management (e.g. at super low occupancy periods when no one is booked anyway).

I still am half expecting the owner to divide one of the villas into a multi-room unit to permit a room booking for such awards so as to not permit one award booking an entire villa at such a pricey property. But then even the Phoenician Residences has 2 bedroom units for a standard award booking. So we won’t know until it truly opens up under the Marriott Luxury Collection moniker in late 2019.
offerendum likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:31 am

I am thinking that Aventine meant all of my points, not buying out the whole property!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:08 pm

Pretty insane that you'll be able to redeem points for this property..
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

will clearly cost a lot, but still only 10 rooms
will be interesting to see award occupancy rate
social media etc may also be a factor for some

i did necker mainly because very low occupancy
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:20 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

I now will accept apologies for those who knocked me for knowing and stating at the outset that North's joining of the Luxury Collection most assuredly meant that they would have to allow award redemptions in some way, shape or form. Whether that be a single villa, a few villas, or even a modified villa offering separate en suite units, every Luxury Collection property allows award redemptions.

@Kagehitokiri, I'm looking at you especially, buddy boy!

My sincerest thanks to @MacMyDay for allowing me the chance to gloat a bit--since I'm still glum after the Tar Heels lost last night to Dook. Apologies for the international folks who have little idea to that which I'm referring.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:12 pm

Unfortunately, @bhrubin, Zion is the truth. It’s insane to me Little came in almost equally as hyped.

To the topic at hand - I’m truly gobsmacked they’ll allow points redemptions, though am quite curious to see just how high the redemption rates will be.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:20 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by aa213bb
Unfortunately, @bhrubin, Zion is the truth. It’s insane to me Little came in almost equally as hyped.

Too soon. And still we lost by only a point. Zion is the truth. And still Dook is overrated.
To the topic at hand - I’m truly gobsmacked they’ll allow points redemptions, though am quite curious to see just how high the redemption rates will be.

Stunningly, Marriott didn't create a special all-suite/all-villa award rate adjustment like SPG did for places like Al Maha, St Regis Bora Bora, St Regis Maldives, etc. So it's surprisingly much less expensive from the legacy SPG perspective to book awards almost anywhere now.

I still believe that North is going to subdivide one villa into individual suite units to allow for awards. But I'll be thrilled to be incorrect and find North offering a full villa for an award redemption. All I want is excellent air con and a private pool.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Still no sign on the Marriot side of things, but they have implemented flexible rates, as he said they would:

https://www.north-island.com/rates/

I may need to reconsider my view on it sounding positive. The Dream Rate in High Season looks a particularly painful purchase. I first stayed in 2016 when it was €5,485/n, whereas in 2020 it would be €9,801. I wouldn't bother with the Dream Rate (we don't dive), but that still means on Full Board it's €8,107/n during March.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 3:10 am

I may need to reconsider my view on it sounding positive. The Dream Rate in High Season looks a particularly painful purchase. I first stayed in 2016 when it was €5,485/n, whereas in 2020 it would be €9,801. I wouldn't bother with the Dream Rate (we don't dive), but that still means on Full Board it's €8,107/n during March.
A UK travel agent like Scott Dunn have quoted to me a ball-park figure of £38,000 for two people for seven nights in March at the Marriott North Island on the basic all-inclusive plan, economy flights included, which is considerably less than the figures you quote. When you add on the extra for luxury air travel it's still substantially less. Silly money whatever way you factor it.

Last edited by Pausanias; Jan 11, 2020 at 5:05 am
Old Jan 11, 2020, 7:52 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Pausanias
A UK travel agent like Scott Dunn have quoted to me a ball-park figure of £38,000 for two people for seven nights in March at the Marriott North Island on the basic all-inclusive plan, economy flights included, which is considerably less than the figures you quote. When you add on the extra for luxury air travel it's still substantially less. Silly money whatever way you factor it.
Which probably means you could negotiate directly with North Island and get a rate about half that. If my experience with Scott Dunn was representative.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by ridefar
Which probably means you could negotiate directly with North Island and get a rate about half that. If my experience with Scott Dunn was representative.
Well, it's always been my belief that a travel agent will, for example, charge you £1000 per night for a hotel when the real charge is £500. Then they say, it's for two people isn't it? Which is why I never use travel agents unless it's a very complicated itinerary in a tricky part of the world. I do use a company like Journey Latin America for South America and rate them very highly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.