Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Review: North Island, Seychelles

Review: North Island, Seychelles

Old Mar 7, 19, 2:52 pm
  #76  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: IAD/DCA
Posts: 31,594
marriott does not care about participation, vs starwood finally getting 100% participation

point of marriott is marketing, luxury collection franchise is unique option among big chains

marriott can do things like contests, photoshoots, and other PR that costs very little

think about the PR value of announcement by marriott, and marriott marketing lists

some marriott guests, especially corporate/wedding, will do paid buyouts and stays

theyre not going to add more villas as that would dramatically drop rates, vs dramatic rise
Kagehitokiri is offline  
Old Mar 16, 19, 6:02 am
  #77  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,330
The Managing Partner of A Small World, Michael Manz, contacted me regarding my blog post and wanted to just chat through what is changing. Mad respect for being prepared to do that in the first place. I spent an hour talking to him earlier today. I cannot go into detail on 95% of the call, as it was in confidence, but I do come away appreciating what they're trying to do and their desire to simply use Marriot as a marketing partner, with the emphasis on very little changes elsewhere as part of the management change. Changes are coming though, which all sounded positive, but it will be hard to know until they're implemented. You will be able to book using Bonvoy points once the full transition takes place, later in the year.

I still very much dislike it being associated with Marriot and find the entire ordeal a bit crazy, but at least understand some of the thought process behind it.
MacMyDay is offline  
Old Mar 16, 19, 8:14 am
  #78  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 195
Originally Posted by MacMyDay View Post
The Managing Partner of A Small World, Michael Manz, contacted me regarding my blog post and wanted to just chat through what is changing. Mad respect for being prepared to do that in the first place. I spent an hour talking to him earlier today. I cannot go into detail on 95% of the call, as it was in confidence, but I do come away appreciating what they're trying to do and their desire to simply use Marriot as a marketing partner, with the emphasis on very little changes elsewhere as part of the management change. Changes are coming though, which all sounded positive, but it will be hard to know until they're implemented. You will be able to book using Bonvoy points once the full transition takes place, later in the year.

I still very much dislike it being associated with Marriot and find the entire ordeal a bit crazy, but at least understand some of the thought process behind it.
Looking forward to seeing how many points I will need to stay!
LinLant is online now  
Old Mar 16, 19, 10:03 am
  #79  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7,250
Originally Posted by LinLant View Post

Looking forward to seeing how many points I will need to stay!
All of them?
Aventine is offline  
Old Mar 16, 19, 11:08 am
  #80  
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 8,754
Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
All of them?
Of course thatís very unlikely. There isnít a single Marriott or former SPG property that allows all rooms/units to be booked as awards! Chances are that there will be only one or two units available at any time for award bookings, more only at the discretion of the management (e.g. at super low occupancy periods when no one is booked anyway).

I still am half expecting the owner to divide one of the villas into a multi-room unit to permit a room booking for such awards so as to not permit one award booking an entire villa at such a pricey property. But then even the Phoenician Residences has 2 bedroom units for a standard award booking. So we wonít know until it truly opens up under the Marriott Luxury Collection moniker in late 2019.
offerendum likes this.
bhrubin is offline  
Old Mar 16, 19, 11:31 am
  #81  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 195
I am thinking that Aventine meant all of my points, not buying out the whole property!
bhrubin likes this.
LinLant is online now  
Old Mar 16, 19, 1:08 pm
  #82  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 143
Pretty insane that you'll be able to redeem points for this property..
bhrubin likes this.
atojbk is offline  
Old Mar 16, 19, 1:18 pm
  #83  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: IAD/DCA
Posts: 31,594
will clearly cost a lot, but still only 10 rooms
will be interesting to see award occupancy rate
social media etc may also be a factor for some

i did necker mainly because very low occupancy
bhrubin likes this.
Kagehitokiri is offline  
Old Mar 16, 19, 2:20 pm
  #84  
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 8,754
I now will accept apologies for those who knocked me for knowing and stating at the outset that North's joining of the Luxury Collection most assuredly meant that they would have to allow award redemptions in some way, shape or form. Whether that be a single villa, a few villas, or even a modified villa offering separate en suite units, every Luxury Collection property allows award redemptions.

@Kagehitokiri, I'm looking at you especially, buddy boy!

My sincerest thanks to @MacMyDay for allowing me the chance to gloat a bit--since I'm still glum after the Tar Heels lost last night to Dook. Apologies for the international folks who have little idea to that which I'm referring.
bhrubin is offline  
Old Mar 16, 19, 5:12 pm
  #85  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Here, there Ö you know how it goes.
Posts: 1,516
Unfortunately, @bhrubin, Zion is the truth. Itís insane to me Little came in almost equally as hyped.

To the topic at hand - Iím truly gobsmacked theyíll allow points redemptions, though am quite curious to see just how high the redemption rates will be.
aa213bb is offline  
Old Mar 16, 19, 5:20 pm
  #86  
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 8,754
Originally Posted by aa213bb View Post
Unfortunately, @bhrubin, Zion is the truth. It’s insane to me Little came in almost equally as hyped.

Too soon. And still we lost by only a point. Zion is the truth. And still Dook is overrated.
To the topic at hand - I’m truly gobsmacked they’ll allow points redemptions, though am quite curious to see just how high the redemption rates will be.

Stunningly, Marriott didn't create a special all-suite/all-villa award rate adjustment like SPG did for places like Al Maha, St Regis Bora Bora, St Regis Maldives, etc. So it's surprisingly much less expensive from the legacy SPG perspective to book awards almost anywhere now.

I still believe that North is going to subdivide one villa into individual suite units to allow for awards. But I'll be thrilled to be incorrect and find North offering a full villa for an award redemption. All I want is excellent air con and a private pool.
bhrubin is offline  
Old Jan 10, 20, 7:36 am
  #87  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,330
Originally Posted by MacMyDay View Post
The Managing Partner of A Small World, Michael Manz, contacted me regarding my blog post and wanted to just chat through what is changing. Mad respect for being prepared to do that in the first place. I spent an hour talking to him earlier today. I cannot go into detail on 95% of the call, as it was in confidence, but I do come away appreciating what they're trying to do and their desire to simply use Marriot as a marketing partner, with the emphasis on very little changes elsewhere as part of the management change. Changes are coming though, which all sounded positive, but it will be hard to know until they're implemented. You will be able to book using Bonvoy points once the full transition takes place, later in the year.
Still no sign on the Marriot side of things, but they have implemented flexible rates, as he said they would:

https://www.north-island.com/rates/

I may need to reconsider my view on it sounding positive. The Dream Rate in High Season looks a particularly painful purchase. I first stayed in 2016 when it was Ä5,485/n, whereas in 2020 it would be Ä9,801. I wouldn't bother with the Dream Rate (we don't dive), but that still means on Full Board it's Ä8,107/n during March.
MacMyDay is offline  
Old Jan 11, 20, 4:10 am
  #88  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 1,363
Originally Posted by MacMyDay View Post
I may need to reconsider my view on it sounding positive. The Dream Rate in High Season looks a particularly painful purchase. I first stayed in 2016 when it was €5,485/n, whereas in 2020 it would be €9,801. I wouldn't bother with the Dream Rate (we don't dive), but that still means on Full Board it's €8,107/n during March.
A UK travel agent like Scott Dunn have quoted to me a ball-park figure of £38,000 for two people for seven nights in March at the Marriott North Island on the basic all-inclusive plan, economy flights included, which is considerably less than the figures you quote. When you add on the extra for luxury air travel it's still substantially less. Silly money whatever way you factor it.

Last edited by Pausanias; Jan 11, 20 at 6:05 am
Pausanias is offline  
Old Jan 11, 20, 8:52 am
  #89  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Posts: 3,276
Originally Posted by Pausanias View Post
A UK travel agent like Scott Dunn have quoted to me a ball-park figure of £38,000 for two people for seven nights in March at the Marriott North Island on the basic all-inclusive plan, economy flights included, which is considerably less than the figures you quote. When you add on the extra for luxury air travel it's still substantially less. Silly money whatever way you factor it.
Which probably means you could negotiate directly with North Island and get a rate about half that. If my experience with Scott Dunn was representative.
ridefar is offline  
Old Jan 11, 20, 9:22 am
  #90  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 1,363
Originally Posted by ridefar View Post
Which probably means you could negotiate directly with North Island and get a rate about half that. If my experience with Scott Dunn was representative.
Well, it's always been my belief that a travel agent will, for example, charge you £1000 per night for a hotel when the real charge is £500. Then they say, it's for two people isn't it? Which is why I never use travel agents unless it's a very complicated itinerary in a tricky part of the world. I do use a company like Journey Latin America for South America and rate them very highly.
Pausanias is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: