FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Review: North Island, Seychelles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1762152-review-north-island-seychelles.html)

offerendum Feb 23, 2019 4:43 am

There were always very exclusive LC hotels. Perhaps not on the level of North Island ( I think there aren't many outside there to be true) but still very nice. I can't imagine there will change that much and if rates stay were they are especially nothing will change about exclusivity.

chinmoylad Feb 23, 2019 4:50 am

Originally Posted by Anlun (Post 30809205)
Hmm on the one hand, this will obviously ruin the exclusivity and intimate nature of the property...
On the other hand, this may make it possible for me to actually justify going if I can somehow use my absurd amount of points. Not sure if that will even happen, but I guess one can dream.

Ritz-Carlton Reserves aren't redeemable. Not sure if they'll do the same with this particular hotel, although St Regis Maldives etc are so who knows...

scented Feb 23, 2019 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 30812511)
There were always very exclusive LC hotels. Perhaps not on the level of North Island ( I think there aren't many outside there to be true) but still very nice. I can't imagine there will change that much and if rates stay were they are especially nothing will change about exclusivity.

You might want to take into account that management will be handed over entirely to Asmallworld.

If this means changes remains to be seen. Could be Waldorf Vegas style, where most of staff is retained as is GM, then it will not reflect as much on the operation but certainly we need to know more. If they send own people (do they have any???), things are not looking good.

Has something to do ownership surely.

Service issues aside, this kind of news is bad news for the property, especially if associated with this awful cliché nouveau riche website.

Kagehitokiri Feb 24, 2019 10:12 am

what kind of source? even good source can have bad information

currently $9,000 per night. past news articles name a russian owner.

MacMyDay Feb 24, 2019 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 30816109)
what kind of source? even good source can have bad information

Their own press release. It is, sadly, 100% true.

Seychelles, 22 February 2019 – North Island announces that it is joining The Luxury Collection, part of Marriott International, Inc., comprised of world-renowned hotels and resorts offering unique, authentic experiences that evoke lasting, treasured memories. As one of the world’s leading private islands, North Island is a unique addition to The Luxury Collection as it makes its debut in the Seychelles, one of the world’s most desirable destinations. This iconic island resort is also the first hotel in the portfolio of the newly-launched A Small World Hotel Collection, who will oversee the resort’s integration into The Luxury Collection brand portfolio and the operations of the business.

Speaking about the signing, Bruce Simpson, MD of North Island, said: “We are delighted to join the exclusive collection of properties under The Luxury Collection. North Island
is the perfect fit for a brand that stands for such exclusive luxury, while recognising the importance of sustainable development, and we look forward to building on the position of the island as one of the world’s most aspirational private-island destinations”. Simpson also paid tribute to Wilderness Safaris, the Southern African ecotourism company who first created and then developed the Island and who has played an invaluable contribution to the evolution of North Island since its inception in 1997: “We look forward to their continued support as a partner, as The Luxury Collection further strengthens the Island’s position in the global luxury travel market”.

Kagehitokiri Feb 24, 2019 10:19 am

so marriott continues the non-participation in their rewards program
may be entirely licensing deals, not sure if marriott requires anything

trying to understand how occupancy was bad when only 11 rooms

if adding a lot more rooms, massive loss of ('best'?) luxury property
should have tried going residence route instead but maybe couldnt

$9K per night is not "aspirational" , im really getting tired of that word

scented Feb 24, 2019 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 30816131)
so marriott continues the non-participation in their rewards program
may be entirely licensing deals, not sure if marriott requires anything

if adding a lot more rooms, massive loss of ('best'?) luxury property
should have tried going residence route instead but maybe couldnt

Needless to say, North Island belongs in the "peaked" category as of today.

Me too, right along with "experiences".

Kagehitokiri Feb 24, 2019 11:10 am

does depend on effective dates and what actually happens if anything. small world may just be licensing deal. frankly the PR value to marriott and small world is extremely high. could have been competitive bids. and companies like marriott do have some clients who will pay (through them) the rates and do buyouts.

MacMyDay Feb 24, 2019 11:12 am

I wrote a very short piece on if here: https://thegoodthebadandtheluxurious...-join-marriot/

I know people that earn substantially more in a month than I do in a year that are put off by North's ever increasing costs. Laucala has increased their prices twice in almost 10 years, whilst the Maldives tends to stick with inflation of around 2-4% price increases, but 8-10% (sometimes even higher) is hard to swallow at North Island. I have no regrets in having been, and I actually planned to return either this or next year for 3-4 nights (they sometimes have 4th night free), but I can absolutely understand why it's a hard sell when the Maldives is so fiercely competitive and most of the clientele are coming from Europe or North America, so the flight time is almost identical to Seychelles or Maldives.

I have never known North Island to be full, except over Christmas - when perversely it's actually off-peak and rainy season. There was a clear push for extra sales, with more and more offers appearing, the joining of R&C and I even saw one or two influencers appear on Instagram, but convincing people to spend $9k/n on a room is not an easy sell, regardless of its strength.

My concern with this change to Marriot is what it will mean for the Seychelles luxury market. Four Seasons and Six Senses are not on the same level, so we're left with Fregate, whose owner seems as blindsided as North's, by deciding to get rid of Oetker collection earlier this year. If Fregate becomes the de-facto winner from this, then the losers is everyone - Fregate is deeply behind North Island in every single category, but even further behind the luxury market of the Maldives. What a shame, as the Seychelles landscapes are my favourite private islands.

Originally Posted by scented (Post 30816267)

I know for some it is hard to understand, but I suppose it will be similar to seeing your favourite restaurant shut down or the decline of Aman to many on this board - I am truly gutted that this has happened. I have said to many people over the last few years: go to Laucala, as once the owner is gone, there is a good chance his son will not share his enthusiasm for his fathers profligacy. I think this proves it more than ever: you don't know what's coming next, so don't wait around forever.

Kagehitokiri Feb 24, 2019 11:21 am

frankly there is no comparison to anything else, doubt there will ever be low density maldives

the thing i like about necker is the great house living area, and obviously the location near me

if i had known re this and rate increases i might have done north instead of necker

north island also joined virtuoso a few months ago, total joke 'including' a massage

your comments are why i maintain 'brand concept' is dead
luxury properties will always be rare / at risk / endangered

can hope it is just marketing and there are not any changes

scented Feb 24, 2019 11:33 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay (Post 30816326)
I wrote a very short piece on if here: https://thegoodthebadandtheluxurious...-join-marriot/

I know people that earn substantially more in a month than I do in a year that are put off by North's ever increasing costs. Laucala has increased their prices twice in almost 10 years, whilst the Maldives tends to stick with inflation of around 2-4% price increases, but 8-10% (sometimes even higher) is hard to swallow at North Island. I have no regrets in having been, and I actually planned to return either this or next year for 3-4 nights (they sometimes have 4th night free), but I can absolutely understand why it's a hard sell when the Maldives is so fiercely competitive and most of the clientele are coming from Europe or North America, so the flight time is almost identical to Seychelles or Maldives.

I have never known North Island to be full, except over Christmas - when perversely it's actually off-peak and rainy season. There was a clear push for extra sales, with more and more offers appearing, the joining of R&C and I even saw one or two influencers appear on Instagram, but convincing people to spend $9k/n on a room is not an easy sell, regardless of its strength.

My concern with this change to Marriot is what it will mean for the Seychelles luxury market. Four Seasons and Six Senses are not on the same level, so we're left with Fregate, whose owner seems as blindsided as North's, by deciding to get rid of Oetker collection earlier this year. If Fregate becomes the de-facto winner from this, then the losers is everyone - Fregate is deeply behind North Island in every single category, but even further behind the luxury market of the Maldives. What a shame, as the Seychelles landscapes are my favourite private islands.

I know for some it is hard to understand, but I suppose it will be similar to seeing your favourite restaurant shut down or the decline of Aman to many on this board - I am truly gutted that this has happened. I have said to many people over the last few years: go to Laucala, as once the owner is gone, there is a good chance his son will not share his enthusiasm for his fathers profligacy. I think this proves it more than ever: you don't know what's coming next, so don't wait around forever.

Spot on as usual... though there are still some unresolved questions. If this comes from a revenue perspective (what else), undoubtedly there are many much more qualified hotel operators compared to "Asmallworld". I can hardly take them seriously with that decision. The nightly rates are certainly not for the faint of heart, though there is a market for it.

To sustain a resort of the calibre of North Island or Laucala it not only takes an owner with deep pockets, but also with a vision. As long as the resort is considered a hobby and actually lose money or hardly break even, things are always good, but we all know what happens when the perspective changes. But even then, some hotel operators can operate to high standards. I doubt this is the case here, they want all the freedom with as little obligations as possible but still profit from sales and marketing.

I would have preferred to see Kerzner take over.

Kagehitokiri Feb 24, 2019 11:47 am

sales are rough on luxury

kerzner was acquired by dubai (dubai also owns luxury collection al maha)

six senses brand was acquired by IHG (intercontinental and holiday inn)

wilderness-group.com/news/39

Norisco Holdings S.A. has disposed of its wholly-owned subsidiary North Island Company. Wilderness effectively holds 20% of the shares in Norisco.
sold to Groval Holdings Limited. for US$47.5 million

north-island.com/wilderness-safaris-north-island-renew-strategic-partnership

North Island will take on the direct responsibility of sales and marketing in emerging markets, namely GCC (Gulf Cooperation Council)/Middle East and Eastern Europe (including Russia), as well as the Island’s Inbound partners in Seychelles and selected partners in South Africa.
(interesting wilderness safaris sold duba plains to great plains conservation for $4.5m)

edit

africaintelligence.com/ion/business-circles/2010/11/06/russians-purchase-north-island,86064171-art

and back to luxury collection, chosen because unbranded franchise instead of managed

high rate may lead to things like negotiated dramatically reduced commission to marriott

chinmoylad Feb 25, 2019 12:18 am

Originally Posted by scented (Post 30816267)

Me too, right along with "experiences".

"Experiental" - also used for Disneyland

MikeFromTokyo Feb 27, 2019 5:24 am

North Island apparently to join Marriott Luxury Collection

I just heard about this. I am surprised, imagine how many points would be accrued from a week’s stay at North Island:cool:

Edit: I have just read above posts, so I see that this is old news. I heard via “aSmallWorld” emailing. I wonder if their rate has any added value. I tend to doubt it because their hotel offers have been uninteresting in the past.

bhrubin Mar 7, 2019 12:45 pm

While I am not expecting this North Island Luxury Collection to be available for less than a huge total of points, and perhaps only 1 villa at that until they build out more, I must say that my Marriott Ambassador status makes this property more of a possible option for us in the future. As we have millions of Marriott points, this is definitely on our radar now.

We'd never pay the astronomical rates for a 4 bedroom villa that we as 2 persons would never need nor be able to really take advantage of, but I would be open to using points for a villa to get such a special Seychelles experience--and try out the diving in such a pristine location.