Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Review: North Island, Seychelles

Review: North Island, Seychelles

Old Mar 12, 18, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by synd View Post
Hi,

Looking for advice once again. My family is looking to spend a week in Seychelles, to rest, after a 20-day tour of Rajasthan. Looking for the best beach, sand & swimming. Some corals not far would be appreciated as well. Price range would be up to1.5K / night.

thanks for any advice,

synd

The Seychelles seems a bit far to go from India. However, if it has to be the Seychelles, just for a week, I would personally avoid the 'private island' places like North and Desroches. I think La Digue is the best island but the main island of Mahe shouldn't be dismissed. It's good to rent a car there and drive around. Snorkelling in the Seychelles isn't that great. It can be great in the Maldives if you choose your island carefully.

Nearer India is Sri Lanka which is a fabulous place and has some spectacular beaches. We stayed at Saman Villas last year and loved it, though there is no snorkelling. And if you really fancy getting away and finding the ultimate beaches in the area look at the Lakshadweep Islands which are part of India. So too are the Andaman Islands but harder to get to. If it were me, I'd go to the Lakshadweeps without a second thought.
obscure2k and synd like this.
Old Mar 12, 18, 8:08 am

Programs: QR P, LH Proud to be a one Star Negative Blue, Hilton Gold, GHA Black, WOH something
Originally Posted by Pausanias View Post
The Seychelles seems a bit far to go from India. However, if it has to be the Seychelles, just for a week, I would personally avoid the 'private island' places like North and Desroches. I think La Digue is the best island but the main island of Mahe shouldn't be dismissed. It's good to rent a car there and drive around. Snorkelling in the Seychelles isn't that great. It can be great in the Maldives if you choose your island carefully.

Nearer India is Sri Lanka which is a fabulous place and has some spectacular beaches. We stayed at Saman Villas last year and loved it, though there is no snorkelling. And if you really fancy getting away and finding the ultimate beaches in the area look at the Lakshadweep Islands which are part of India. So too are the Andaman Islands but harder to get to. If it were me, I'd go to the Lakshadweeps without a second thought.
Pausanias,

thanks for your reply. Yes India does have some wonderful beaches, and they would love to go, but my parents are worried that after a 20 day touring trip of India, they won't be able to cope with the food anymore. Don't get me wrong, they love Indian food, but once in a while, they are not too young anymore in the second half of their 70's, and they tend to eat more and more lightly at home, no oil based dish, a lot of steamed vegetables, etc.... They are starting not to be able to digest spicy food anymore Doctor's visit on monday to see if there exist anything to make them cope with the trip, as they really want to go. That's the reason why I was looking at Seychelles at the end of the trip rather the andaman islands and Sri Lanka, where food seems to be richer than in India. Thanks for the Lakshadweep suggestions, looks wonderful, will have to keep that in mind for a future trip.
Was looking also at the UAE, but all the options were rather Meh, either the beaches or hotels. Mahe has a direct flight from BOM and its 4h30.
Old Mar 12, 18, 9:01 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador

Pausanias -- any recommendations on accommodations in the Andaman's? I looked a couple years ago but couldn't find anything other than backpacker standard (never mind luxury). How about the Lakshadweeps?
Old Mar 12, 18, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by ridefar View Post
Pausanias -- any recommendations on accommodations in the Andaman's? I looked a couple years ago but couldn't find anything other than backpacker standard (never mind luxury). How about the Lakshadweeps?
Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Andamans - very special indeed, but a bit of a hike to get there.
synd and ridefar like this.
Old Mar 12, 18, 6:14 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
In the price range asked Four Seasons on Mahe. The other options are by far out of range.
Old Mar 12, 18, 9:26 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | SPG | Hyatt Prive

Taj (Exotica I assume?) is opening at Andaman soon.
Old Mar 12, 18, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle View Post
Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Andamans - very special indeed, but a bit of a hike to get there.
Ah just seen this - have you been? Any photos?
Old Feb 21, 19, 10:17 am

North Island is joining Marriott's The Luxury Collection with management taken over by Asmallworld.
Old Feb 21, 19, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by scented View Post
North Island is joining Marriott's The Luxury Collection with management taken over by Asmallworld.

But think of the SPG points!
Old Feb 21, 19, 10:37 am

Is it April 1 already?

Asmallworld is an online community targeted at the wealthy ("facebook for millionaires"), with no prior experience in hotel management. It's basically a penny stock, and was under investigation for market manipulation by the German financial market authority last year (https://www.bafin.de/SharedDocs/Vero...RLD_AG_en.html). Its founder can be seen regularly cruising through Zurich in his blue-white Rolls-Royce (https://www.autogespot.co.uk/rolls-r...ith/2017/12/23) and is the subject of much ridicule in Swiss business circles.

Do we know who owns North Island?
scented likes this.
Old Feb 21, 19, 4:59 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Yikes.
scented likes this.
Old Feb 22, 19, 1:13 am
Original Poster

I feel like someone just shot my dog

Originally Posted by kamel123 View Post
Do we know who owns North Island?
I forget his name, but some Russian billionaire. Wilderness Safaris originally owned the island, but then sold it and simply managed it. To go from Wilderness Safaris, ye of Mombo, Abu and Bisate fame, to Marriot must be quite unprecedented. I would be astonished if they now didn't build the extra villas that they've been discussing for many years, but in doing so they'll begin to ruin what made the island so special in the first place. Rather glad we changed our mind and decided on Laucala for the honeymoon.
FlyerEC, scented, kamel123 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 22, 19, 1:56 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

The resort just got Bonvoyed.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Feb 22, 19, 3:36 am

Another one bites the dust...
Old Feb 22, 19, 8:22 am

Hmm on the one hand, this will obviously ruin the exclusivity and intimate nature of the property...
On the other hand, this may make it possible for me to actually justify going if I can somehow use my absurd amount of points. Not sure if that will even happen, but I guess one can dream.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: