Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Review: North Island, Seychelles

Review: North Island, Seychelles

Old Oct 7, 16, 3:27 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you believe 5 nights on Mahe would be too long? If Raffles is a no, what about Constance Lemuria? It claims to be a 5 star, but I'm not familiar with the product. If we don't stay on Praslin, can we visit Praslin and LaDigue from North Island? The iconic granite bolders have always been something I have wanted to see. On last question...I understand the Four Seasons has taken over managment of Desroche Island. Any idea when they are to reopen under their name? The new multi-bedroom villas look beautiful.
Old Oct 11, 16, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by LuxTravelAddict View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you believe 5 nights on Mahe would be too long? If Raffles is a no, what about Constance Lemuria? It claims to be a 5 star, but I'm not familiar with the product. If we don't stay on Praslin, can we visit Praslin and LaDigue from North Island? The iconic granite bolders have always been something I have wanted to see. On last question...I understand the Four Seasons has taken over managment of Desroche Island. Any idea when they are to reopen under their name? The new multi-bedroom villas look beautiful.
Constace hotels/resorts is a French-Mauritian company that has a wonderful resort in Mauritius - Le Prince Maurice - but its other propeties are not of the same standard - more Banyan Tree level, so four star+. It would be a bit of a trek to try and visit Praslin for the day, unless you are prepared to hire a helicopter and go via Mahé, as I don't think you can fly direct from North Island - http://www.zilair.com/destinations.php

Four Seasons Desroches is scheduled to open late 2017.
Old Oct 11, 16, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

residences at six senses are unique - glass bottom pool above living room
was originally planned/designed as per aquum, like huvafen fushi maldives

of course the FS also has residences, of varying designs
edit: seems 5BR & 6BR only have 1 (of each) in inventory

is desroches really adding any, or just 'renovating' ?

seychelles also has some exclusive-use-only islands

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 13, 16 at 9:39 am
Old Oct 12, 16, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
of course the FS also has residences, of varying designs

is desroches really adding any, or just 'renovating' ?
Desroches had 43 keys before ownership change + FS management takeover, FS will feature 40 suites + 11 residences.

Suites on the island were already quite big, although only 2 categories (890 sq ft entry level, and deluxe (1190 sq ft + private plunge). Not sure if FS will introduce more categories, most likely will play with view/"ocean front", etc. Rate hierarchy. Entry levels will need more attention, as they are totally run down.

But from what I gather the rooms are not a big problem to renovate and upgrade, the public areas are more of a problem. Owner will have to invest a couple million into new pools, plus infrastructure of course. More maintenance and manicured grounds.

It is a beautiful island. Cannot wait to visit this new FS.
Old Oct 13, 16, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.google.com/maps/place/De...5!4d53.6583166
existing desroches >
17-20 1BR (2 per building)
6 3BR paired with 12 1BR with pool
1 3BR spa
1 5BR beach residence / presidential
28+ 4BR beach villa
(24+ were sold, more were planned)
(interesting spa added Dr Hauschka in 2010)

six senses 3/4BR >
Attached Images  

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 13, 16 at 11:06 am
Old Dec 5, 17, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aa213bb View Post
And don't get me started on the bathrooms ... an absolute non-starter for me, though I'll be watching to see if the GM takes yours (and, I assume, others) comments to heart and has those enclosed.
Thought it worth noting that after my feedback, North Island are actually going to trial some sealed unit for the toilets that prevents any bugs getting in. I'm back in February, so I get to be the lucky guinea pig and will update on how it performs. Don't worry, I will not provide pictures of my hideous body if it fails. Or if it succeeds.

Last edited by MacMyDay; Dec 5, 17 at 4:57 am
Old Dec 6, 17, 12:43 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Originally Posted by MacMyDay View Post
Thought it worth noting that after my feedback, North Island are actually going to trial some sealed unit for the toilets that prevents any bugs getting in. I'm back in February, so I get to be the lucky guinea pig and will update on how it performs. Don't worry, I will not provide pictures of my hideous body if it fails. Or if it succeeds.
Looking forward to your update. We plan to return later this year or next. Sealed walls in the bathroom will be a big improvement although I loved the place anyway!
Old Dec 8, 17, 4:41 am

I'd be interested in knowing if they ever plan to expand those small plunge pools in the villas to a proper lap pool more appropriate for a resort of this caliber. Maybe add a jacuzzi while they're at it.
Old Dec 8, 17, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Five Star Traveller View Post
I'd be interested in knowing if they ever plan to expand those small plunge pools in the villas to a proper lap pool more appropriate for a resort of this caliber. Maybe add a jacuzzi while they're at it.
Jacuzzi I would definitely approve of. There is no resort in the world that would not be improved by an outdoor jacuzzi. Fact. Fregate has one, but once again they've liberally used the word to mean a small tub with bubbles, as opposed to a small tub with bubbles and warm water. As for the pool, honestly, I don't see the need for it - although I had the exact same view that you did on arrival - because their main pool must be amongst the best I've ever seen. It was a place I was glad to spend time, which is very rare for me and the only other resort I can think where that has been true was Amangiri. It's not as impressive as Laucala's, but definitely more practical; the views and way they've built it into the rock is special.

I believe the architects of North Island are consulted on every change made, and seeing that the same architects are those of newly built Miavana, I guess they just do not love large pools and instead focus on building a beautiful main pool. Here's a picture of the pool in Miavana (and another one and one more), which is probably twice the size as North Island, but still tiny compared to Fregate.
Old Dec 11, 17, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

any plans (canceled during economic crisis) to build larger multi-bedroom villas? at least several here were interested.
Old Feb 6, 18, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
any plans (canceled during economic crisis) to build larger multi-bedroom villas? at least several here were interested.
Seems it is back on the agenda. When, only the owner knows.

Some pics from our stay, although if you saw my previous photos from 2016 they may look strangely familiar. I believe the only change to the hard product is the rebuilding of West Beach Bar, which reopens in March, and the quite incredible difference to the beaches that takes place over the years; with the current beach almost unrecognisable during February vs my previous stay in April. They always mentioned it and do not hide it, but it's an astonishing transformation it goes through over the months.

I will do my usual write-up at some point, but in summary I do feel North Island is the best private island resort in the world, but it's still not perfect - it's just that 2 years on from my first stay I appreciate nowhere is. I will be in The Brando in less than 2 months to make sure that statement definitely rings true.
Old Feb 21, 18, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Five Star Traveller View Post
You may well be interested to know they have plans drawn up to increase the size of the pools in some of the villas (not sure why just some), so I guess I'm wrong and people do care about them. Nothing about jacuzzis though.

I've published my follow-up review Revisited Review: North Island, Seychelles ? The Good, The Bad and The Luxurious - it contains a lot less words than my Miavana review, so you're safe, but I've summarised it in the post above anyway.
Old Mar 11, 18, 9:06 pm

Programs: QR P, LH Proud to be a one Star Negative Blue, Hilton Gold, GHA Black, WOH something
Best Seychelles Recommendations?

Hi,

Looking for advice once again. My family is looking to spend a week in Seychelles, to rest, after a 20-day tour of Rajasthan. Looking for the best beach, sand & swimming. Some corals not far would be appreciated as well. Price range would be up to1.5K € / night.

thanks for any advice,

synd
Old Mar 12, 18, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by synd View Post
Hi,

Looking for advice once again. My family is looking to spend a week in Seychelles, to rest, after a 20-day tour of Rajasthan. Looking for the best beach, sand & swimming. Some corals not far would be appreciated as well. Price range would be up to1.5K € / night.

thanks for any advice,

synd
North is certainly the best there, although out of price range.

The new Four Seasons Desroches has the potential to become the Seychelles resort, but I am not sure about service just yet. When is your visit? You know, opening and post opening can always be a bit patchy until they find their grip. Couldn’t have put a better GM in charge. Until then, the other FS is lead by Adrian Messerli and very accomplished. More so if you want a good spa !
Old Mar 12, 18, 6:58 am

Programs: QR P, LH Proud to be a one Star Negative Blue, Hilton Gold, GHA Black, WOH something
Originally Posted by scented View Post

North is certainly the best there, although out of price range.

The new Four Seasons Desroches has the potential to become the Seychelles resort, but I am not sure about service just yet. When is your visit? You know, opening and post opening can always be a bit patchy until they find their grip. Couldn’t have put a better GM in charge. Until then, the other FS is lead by Adrian Messerli and very accomplished. More so if you want a good spa !

Read that the Desroches property just opened last week. Looks like a nice place, but found a few review on TA that were complaining about the beach. Furthermore, as a rule, I try to stay far away from any new property, for at least a year. Trip is in November. The other FS does indeed looks like a very good option at the moment.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: